Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

New RVer needs help

We are brand new RVers and plan to travel across Canada this spring.
We have a 2013 Tracer model 235FBS. Any helpful advice on travel along the Trans-Canada Hiway would be very helpful. Also I am very new at this "forum stuff" and, am having trouble navigating this technology. I am very computer challenged so bear with me.....ha ha.
We really want to stay at rest areas to save money but, would enjoy staying once or twice a week at a nice scenic campground.....NOT a "glorified trailer park". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
If you can tell us your route, some of the Canucks on the board can probably give you some good ideas.
Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

It is my understanding that in BC and Alberta that staying overnight in a rest area is not allowed. A little more details and I might be able to help you out, in Alberta at least.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

There aren't many rest areas in western Canada to begin with, and I think you are correct about not being able to overnight at them.
But there are enough reasonably-priced campgrounds, and some quite nice spots to stop.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

Your best bet is going to be staying at the Provincial Parks along the way. Most if not all the rest areas only let you stay for short period of time and I do not think any allow overnight stays.

As a side note you can always stay in parking lot of the local Walmart..! As long as you are self contained and not making a mess I have even seen rigs stay in the same spot for multiple days.

Hope you have a great trip..! Try this for some more info...it is link to a web site..!

Tourism British Columbia | Official Travel Website of BC Canada

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

What about buying a membership with one of the campground organizations like RPI, Coast to Coast, Thousand Trails, etc? You can find them for sale on Craigslist sometimes at greatly reduced prices. Just need to look closely at the benefits and restrictions and eligibility of each one.

This way you can book up to 30 days or 60 days out, depending on what you buy. Great way to ensure you get a place to stay when travelling long distances into unknown territory. And depending on what you buy, the cost is quite low. I think we pay around $10/night typically. Sometimes nothing, and if at your own local cg org., should be free for each night. Can pay off the membership quickly if you are going to camp a lot. Still annual dues though.

Sorry, can't help you on places in Canada except I do know that there are lots of great campgrounds just east of Vancouver. We like to go into the US. I guess just do a lot of online searching for private or public campgrounds.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

The TC highway is 8030km (4990mi). What section are you planning of traveling. There are vary few rest areas and what are available do not allow over night camping. I have traveled the TC from the east coast to the west coast. There are a lot of CG that do not cost an arm and a leg. You will not find many Walmarts in Northern Ontario. If you would give more info on where you want to go and when you you are going it will help. Many of the CG in Northern Ontario do not open till May 24.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Welcome to the forum!
If you can tell us your route, some of the Canucks on the board can probably give you some good ideas.
Sounds like a fun trip!
we will be travelling the Trans Canada Hiway from Quebec to B.C.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

We will be starting in Late May and, traveling from Montreal Quebec to B.C>
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Sooooo the rest areas are really "snooze areas" ??
That's good to know, Don't want any trouble with the mounties !!!