Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
You will need a passport or the passport card to get from Canada back to the US.
Outside of business travel where I may have been lacking the correct documents, I have never had trouble with Canadian customs. They have always been professional and polite.

You will want to fill your gas before going into Canada (it's cheaper in the US).

The Blue water bridge (Sarnia to Port Huron) can get very busy on the weekends and during business rush hours (7-9am & 3-6pm). I would avoid those times.

If you carry firearms, check what is permitted and declare it at the boarder.

If you have a chance to stay at Pinery Provencal park, it's great!

=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

Niagara to Port Huron

Have crossed into Michigan at Sarnia many many times....always without problems....am always polite and cooperative with border guards....I think they appreciate it . Come and visit Canada, it's an amazing country which is as picturesque and friendly as any place in the world.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
There are many places in the US to visit instead of Canada. America is a beautiful place for an RV. Canadians come here on vacation for a reason.
Hmm, seems like a very negative position to be posting such..
Old 01-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hmm, seems like a very negative position to be posting such..
Some people don't understand how great our neighbors to the north are (unless you live in Detroit, then Windsor is to the south).

Much of our dealings with Iran (since the 70s) has been with the help of Canada. Not a chance those 5 hostages were coming home without our friends to the north.
=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #15

Niagara Falls to Port Huron through Canada

Hi...I'm from the Oshawa are just East of Toronto and I love to travel in South-Western Ontario which is the trip you're talking about. There are lots of really nice places in Canada.....Kingston and the Gananoque area 3 hrs East of Toronto is pretty nice along with Ottawa especially iwht all the free festivals that there is in the Capital.
The one thing I would suggest is to keep away from the QEW expressway as much as possible and the 401. They are busy and crazy hwys. Actually the 401 is the busiest freeway in norht America, so you don't wnat to be travelling that expecially during rush hours.....you could be stuck for hours.
I would suggest keeping off the beatten path and cruising along hwy #3 which ore less follows the north shore of lake Erie. Some pretty good campgrounds that we have stayed at. NET campground around Ste Catherines (oh and don't forget, this is wine country....a must see is Niagara on the lake). We stayed at Port Burwell provincial Park which has amazing beach, but just a word of caution with provincial parks; they only have hydro/electricity 15A and water, no sewer hookups, dumping stations only. Another one is called Lakewood Estates in Port Glasgow, Spring Lake Cottage & RV Resort south of Ingersoll, Wildwood Golf and RV Resort SW of Windsor. You should also visit the town Lemington and Point Pelee Area. Point Pelee Island winery. THis is also the most southern point in Canada whihc is on the same lattitude as San Francisco. Beautiful country. I've talked to many peopel that have travelled across Canada and I keep hearing that Newfoundland is the most beautiful places of all to visit especially in an RV. Bon voyage!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #16

The past couple years we found it far easier to get into Canada with the pop-up than it was to get back into the US on our return. No searches (though we did see the CA officials giving another pop-up the 3X over), just a much grimmer set of officials on duty on return.

There is much to see in CA, of course.
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
There are many places in the US to visit instead of Canada. America is a beautiful place for an RV. Canadians come here on vacation for a reason.
The reason I vacationed in the US was because the gas was quite a bit cheaper. Not anymore. Yes the US is a beautiful place for an RV but so is Canada.

2015 Sierra
2104 Coachmen 280 RLS
Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
Hi...I'm from the Oshawa are just East of Toronto and I love to travel in South-Western Ontario which is the trip you're talking about. There are lots of really nice places in Canada.....Kingston and the Gananoque area 3 hrs East of Toronto is pretty nice along with Ottawa especially iwht all the free festivals that there is in the Capital.
The one thing I would suggest is to keep away from the QEW expressway as much as possible and the 401. They are busy and crazy hwys. Actually the 401 is the busiest freeway in norht America, so you don't wnat to be travelling that expecially during rush hours.....you could be stuck for hours.
I would suggest keeping off the beatten path and cruising along hwy #3 which ore less follows the north shore of lake Erie. Some pretty good campgrounds that we have stayed at. NET campground around Ste Catherines (oh and don't forget, this is wine country....a must see is Niagara on the lake). We stayed at Port Burwell provincial Park which has amazing beach, but just a word of caution with provincial parks; they only have hydro/electricity 15A and water, no sewer hookups, dumping stations only. Another one is called Lakewood Estates in Port Glasgow, Spring Lake Cottage & RV Resort south of Ingersoll, Wildwood Golf and RV Resort SW of Windsor. You should also visit the town Lemington and Point Pelee Area. Point Pelee Island winery. THis is also the most southern point in Canada whihc is on the same lattitude as San Francisco. Beautiful country. I've talked to many peopel that have travelled across Canada and I keep hearing that Newfoundland is the most beautiful places of all to visit especially in an RV. Bon voyage!

Agree on Hwy 3... Edit Most Provincial Parks if not all are 30 amp and Inverhuron I know has 25 50 amp as well. The specs are right on the reservation system for provincial parks including pictures.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #19

As B & B mentioned above our Provincial Parks are something special and lots of info is available at ontarioparks.ca including details of amenities offered, fees and often site pictures. All the info regarding border crossing protocol is also on line. As mentioned above the current exchange rate will pleasantly surprise you. Check on a cell or data plan as in our experience (going the other way) out of country phone usage can be expensive. Thanks for planning a trip to Canada and I hope you have a wonderful experience! If I can answer any Canadian type questions pm anytime.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #20

Hi. I have been trying to reply or pm you for some time today but something doesn't seem to be working. Would it be possible for you to pm me your phone number and I will phone you back if I get your message. we can discuss your trip plan if you want. Okay I will try to send this and hope for the best. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)

Tags
canada