Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

North Shore of Lake Superior questions

This has probably been asked before but I'm not sure about the search feature.

So the LOML and I are going to Nova Scotia amd probably Newfoundland next summer and are planning to drive back across part of Canada and re-enter the US either around International Falls or Thunder Bay. The route along the north side of Lake Superior looks to be rather scenic but that sometimes means "sparsely settled."

Are there recommended routes and what is the availability of diesel fuel?
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

17 most of the way across the upper part,No problem with any Fuel,this is" Populated" area,not the "Bush"! Youroo!!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Not really that populated . ..but there are towns and desiel ...stay away in may june ...major blackfly and mosquito hatches
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
17 most of the way across the upper part,No problem with any Fuel,this is" Populated" area,not the "Bush"! Youroo!!
Haven't heard the term, "bush" since we lived in Minnesota and it referred to the northern part of the state. Going south from Thunder Bay to Duluth should have no problems if that's the route.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

We did it a number of years ago, awesome scenery. There will be no problem for fuel and supplies!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Lived in that area for 12 years...awesome scenery, private and provincial parks along the way...bring your camera!!!
5.7 litre Hemi 4x4
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Been camping for 20 years in the area. There is no problem with fuel. Fuel in Thunder bay and easily make it across the border on hwy 61 where there is a large station. Also several in Grand Marais, MN. The campground in Grand Marais is a nice stopping point that allows you to walk into town.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenablanca View Post

So the LOML and I are going to Nova Scotia amd probably Newfoundland next summer and are planning to drive back across part of Canada and re-enter the US either around International Falls or Thunder Bay. The route along the north side of Lake Superior looks to be rather scenic but that sometimes means "sparsely settled."

Note that a major bridge on the TransCanada highway north of Superior has broken. They have jury-rigged a partial repair, but it is down to one lane. This is a choke point with no alternatives other than going through the US. You could do the switch at Sault St Marie.

Update: Traffic Moving Slowly on Single Lane of Broken Bridge | Today's Trucking
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:

Wonderful drive.... drove in 2011 on our cross Canada trip. Don't miss Neys Provincial Park and Pukaskwa National Park. Neys has some really nice camping right down on the beach, really nice beach, Neys was a prisoner of war camp during WWII

A bunch more info from this area here... If you go further east towards Manitoba, don't miss Lake of the Woods, with over 14,000 islands and good fishing.

You will have a blast, love that part of our country..

cheers,
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Ditto for most of the comments. Lots of great Provincial Parks and great scenery. Old Woman's Bay, Pancake Bay, Neys, Rainbow Falls. Stop into Rossport which is an old fishing village next to my home town of Schrieber.
LakeClearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Note that a major bridge on the TransCanada highway north of Superior has broken. They have jury-rigged a partial repair, but it is down to one lane. This is a choke point with no alternatives other than going through the US. You could do the switch at Sault St Marie.

Update: Traffic Moving Slowly on Single Lane of Broken Bridge | Today's Trucking
That scared me as we will be going through there in June, however the lanes are now open again. However, it is still a construction zone so be careful through there.

Nipigon River Bridge reopens both lanes to traffic
Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:

If you are interested in what we in Minnesota call the "North Shore" (Grand Portage down to Duluth), just say yes and I can provide more information. There are many very nice state parks along that route, most of which involve rivers with waterfalls leading right into Lake Superior. There are also some RV parks along the way. There is a very popular one in Grand Marais which however is quite busy and rather a parking lot full of RVs and children, yet it is right on the lake and easy walking distance into the lovely town.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #13

The North Shore is a beautiful place to visit. 45 miles in from Canada is Grand Marais. One of the largest cites NE of Duluth. Down the road about 85 miles is Two Harbors. This town has a campground right next to the lake and there are lots of sites that over look the lake on a small bluff.

There are 8 state parks between Duluth and the Canadian border. Lots of Minnesota history here to see. A light house is at the Split Rock State Park. This is a must see in my books.

Almost every campground that you could stay in along this stretch will be a great place to stay.

Here are some links to get you started:
Burlington Bay Campground
Burlington Bay Campground - City of Two Harbors *

Minnesota State Parks
Minnesota State Parks : Find Your Adventure: Minnesota DNR

North Shore Visitor
Mile by Mile | North Shore Visitor

Explore MN
Home : Explore Minnesota

Grand Marais Campground
Campground, Camping, RV in Grand Marais Minnesota

There is some much along this 150 miles of road that it would take hours to tell anybody about it. This is one of the best drives in the nation .

Hope you chose to take this route. You will not regret it.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #14

I would agree. One thing to be aware of, that is not a fast drive whatsoever. There is a lot of tourist, boat, trailer and RV traffic. Especially on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday expect a leisurely drive and leave adequate time to get where you are going - any other expectation will just frustrate you and spoil your day.

A great stop just on the N. end of Duluth is the Glensheen Mansion - truly an amazing site to visit and oh, yeah, the site of a historic murder so full of intrigue too. The way old lumber money used to live along the North Shore!

https://glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu/