Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #21

Haven't been east for years so have no current camping info but both the scenery and the good people in Cape Breton will knock your socks off. Our gas prices will shock you but hopefully the exchange rate will make up for it. Enjoy your trip to our wonderful country on our 150th.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #22

The ferry can be expensive. We paid about $250 (each way) for our 24' Class C in 2012. That was the short ferry, North Sydney to Port Aux Basque. The longer your rig, the higher the cost.
That said, we would do it again. It is a beautiful area with lots to see and do, and RV campsites are everywhere.
We also took the ferry to Labrador. Highly recommend it.
Don't be in a hurry. Do some research about things to see. It is an amazing place.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips View Post
..maybe it's no issue for you but the cost for ferry alone for is was $750 each way for just the truck and trailer then I believe it was 150-175 per person each way... Maybe if we had a cpl weeks to spend there it may be worth it for us.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I went last year and visited Ontario, Quebec, PEI, NB and NS. Had a GREAT! time and planning to return again this summer. I spent 3 1/2 months and just took my time. I looked into NL and Lab and the only access is by ferry and way too expensive for "2 to 3 days", maybe if I would go for 4 to 6 weeks, then maybe...

I was able to get a FS campsite at Fundy NP, Chignecto North for 3 nights and then had to move. Strongly recommend reservations here. All of the other camping reservations were made 1-2 days in advance using RVParkReviews for info, etc. No problems so long as you have internet available, then would call to verify and confirm reservations.

Gas was expensive... Last summer the exchange rate was $1.00 Cdn = $0.75 US. Meals out were a bargain with a 25% discount. Make sure you use a credit card that doesn't charge an exchange fee. The Canadians were fantastic; very friendly and helpful.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #24

Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Travelling from where???

We are heading up from Ohio.

This forum is great. Really appreciate all the suggestions and can't wait to go.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #25

Ditto..Were heading to NS and PEI via Ontario & Quebec this summer...Great suggestions. We like full service campground with all amenities so any others you'd recommend for the coast would be appreciated...As well as any scenic stops that don't require hikes of more than 1/2 mile.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #26

We did the same trip a few years ago. No reservations and had no problems.
Make sure you get to Twillingate and St. Anthony.
A reservation on the ferry is an absolute must. There is a campground around that area but I forget the details.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #27

NL ferry

My daughter lives in NL and we have made the trip from Ohio 5 or 6 times. The ferry runs a day or a night trip ... 8 hrs depending on weather. Pets must stay in the motorhome or there is a kennel on board. You can't visit the vehicle during the crossing. We usually take the night ferry, and if you do that I would suggest you rent a cabin....reservation for that needed...and if not that reserved seating is more enjoyable arrangement ...you don't have to hear every one in the room snoring.... $$$ We have not had problems with finding a campsite, but we have not been there in July or Aug. Gros Morne is a must and on the north coast is Fogo Island a short ferry ride away...good for a day trip if you are in the area.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #28

Newfoundland and Labrador

Last August we did a trip from our home I Georgia, up to Quebec, all the way through Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland, Newfoundland's west coast, Ferry to Nova Scotia (8 hour one) and then driving back to the states. The people in Newfoundland and Labrador were WONDERFUL. All roads were good unless you try to do the circle of Labrador as we did. That road is whole different story. One thing to watch out for is the ferry trips. If you can schedule several weeks in advance, you will be OK, but we did not know how much time is would take us in either Labrador or Newfoundland, and so we waited to try to get on the ferries at the last minute. We ended up waiting for 4 days to get from Labrador to Newfoundland and another 4 days to get from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia. There are either 2 or 3 ferries per day between Newfoundland and Labrador and 2 per day between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. If it were just you and no RV, there would not be much of a problem, and probably not even with just a car. We were in a 32' motorhome towing a car.
In Labrador there is a nice Provincial Park (Pinware, I believe) that is only about 30 miles from the ferry location. No hookups, but some of the sites are directly on the water from which we watched whales each of the 4 days we were there. We got in with no reservations. In Newfoundland we stayed in private campgrounds without having any reservations.
While in Labrador, we saw zero wildlife, but did see some Moose in Newfoundland as well as some giant icebergs up by St Anthony.
Good luck and have a great time on your trip. Feel free to ask any additional questions that you may have.
gschwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #29

Nova Scotia and Newfoundland

I did this trip last summer as part of a Fantasy RV tour. I loved it! While it is not inexpensive, you have to look at everything that is paid for (ferry crossing, campgrounds, entry fees). I paid for gas and groceries. I enjoyed it so much that I am going back on an expanded and somewhat different tour with them next year. Enjoy and all the seafood in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland is so good!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #30

I'm really looking forward to hearing about this trip. I spent a couple of weeks at Goose Bay Labrador courtesy of the US Air Force and have always wanted to get back and travel thru the area. This trip will be a few years away but so far it's been hard to get road maps and travel information.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop11 View Post
I'm really looking forward to hearing about this trip. I spent a couple of weeks at Goose Bay Labrador courtesy of the US Air Force and have always wanted to get back and travel thru the area. This trip will be a few years away but so far it's been hard to get road maps and travel information.
Just google Newfoundland tourism and they will only be too glad to send you any information that you request......You should ask early so you can "PLAN"!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #32

Inside North America (Toll-Free)
1-800-563-6353
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Just google Newfoundland tourism and they will only be too glad to send you any information that you request......You should ask early so you can "PLAN"!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jim in Halifax! I will check it out.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #34

Yes you can Boondock in Newfoundland but you are not permitted to stay no more than 2 nights in one location. Parks may be busy so I would advise reservations around Gros Mourne but other than that may be O.K. the fact that you can gravel pit camp saves you. I would not go any further than Red Bay in Labrador because you will hit dirt road after this and the pavement in southern Lab. is rough but a tender has been called for upgrading but not sure of timeline.
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #35

I'm in the midst of making detailed plans and reservations now for NB, NS and PEI this summer and we want to do the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. I've searched he archives and I see a lot of recommendations to "drop the trailer" and do it by car/truck... but I don't see anything about Class A coaches. We won't be towing anything and I'm comfortable with driving in the mountains here so for those of you who have done it:
1. Is is reasonably doable in a class A gasser?
2. Are the grades about the same as one finds in the States in the mountains?
3. Are the road condition & switchbacks reasonable if you are comfortable behind the wheel?
Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #36

You will not encounter any challenges on your trip. Roads are good and not really any steep inclines. Be sure to spend a day or two at Hopewell Rocks in MB and watch the crazy high tides.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #37

Thanks Tom...Yes...I have about a week in NB planned already and Hopewell Rocks is on the list. From there I'm gonna cross into NS and then head directly north to Baddeck area and the Cabot trail before exploring the rest of the province so its good to know the grades & turns on the trail are not too intimidating.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #38

I'm a little biased, as I grew up on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, but I'd highly recommend including that area! The "must see" areas would be Lunenburg (a world UNESCO heritage town) & Mahone Bay (my hometown).
Charming scenery, lots of history, lovely shops and restaurants.

Rissers Beach Provincial Park, is less than an hour from Lunenburg or Mahone Bay, and has a beautiful long white sandy beach and a campground right on the ocean - it's one of our favourite spots - that would likely require a reservation though, as its a VERY popular spot!
noohoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #39

That whole area is high on my must do list noohoc! Already had the beach on my list due to sand dollar collecting possibilities! Thanks for the tip on the campground will take a look.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #40

If you're looking for Sand Dollars, there is a beach that is a bit further down the coast, and a bit of a "local secret" called Carter's Beach in Port Mouton. Its becoming more and more popular thanks to social media, but at low tide there are lots of sand dollars there. The beach is gorgeous, white sand, and looks like it could be somewhere in the Caribbean but the water is FREEZING cold! haha

There is a provincial camping park closer to that beach as well, Thomas Raddall.. that whole area is beautiful, a bit more off the beaten path, with Summerville Beach, White Point (where you can get a day pass to use the Resort facilities) and the Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct Park.
noohoc is offline   Reply With Quote