Old 02-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #31

And forgot to ad if you are in Sleeping Giant the drive to the end of the road is worth seeing silver islet. It scenic and a step back in time if you go into the general store. The road is narrow and one way so caution if you do not have a toad. Also on the way in there is a scenic lookout that is beautiful from a platform at the top of the cliff. But you can see right across the bay to Thunder Bay. Warning though is its a dirt road and the last part of it will be a drive across the bare escarpment rock. It's a little bumpy and I don't think it will be doable with the rv only a toad.

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #32

As far as electrical hookups in the provincial parks is concerned I am not sure what the hook-ups are like because we always stay in Wawa at the Good Sam RV Park. When I travel I carry all sorts of adapters and a couple of pig tails (one for 30 amp and one for 50 amp). I carry 100 feet of standard (orange) extension cord, and three 25 foot 30 amp cords and I have never found a place I could not plug into as long as the park has electricity.

2008 GMC 2500 HD
2015 Fleetwood (34') TT

Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #33

Ontario - Stratford to Thunder Bay

The majority of plugs in Ontario provincial parks are 15/20 or 30 amp. I believe there are some 50 amp but not many. You may also need an extension cord. The poles tend to be setup so you have one pole per two sights with two 30 or 15/20 amp outlets. Depending on how far apart the sites are you my need 50 feet or more to reach the pole.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #34

Thanks for all the recent posts, advice and tips. I have plenty of orange extension cord but it looks like I need to stock up on 30A line!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #35

Killarney is beautiful . ..but remote..did this last year....need lots of gas...and lots of food-booze....as the nearby town is a money pit for any supplies. Last year we filled up for 1.75 a liter...at a boat dock....as beautiful as it is...Killarney is very small...with no electrical sites
Old 03-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Killarney is beautiful . ..but remote..did this last year....need lots of gas...and lots of food-booze....as the nearby town is a money pit for any supplies. Last year we filled up for 1.75 a liter...at a boat dock....as beautiful as it is...Killarney is very small...with no electrical sites

Thanks for the tips! We are prepared for the lack of services. This will be after a week on the road and in Stratford (Wildwood Cons.) with elec & water, so we will be looking forward to the remoteness! :-) Must be sure to stock up on propane for the fridge and gennny!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #37

We have nailed down our reservations for a trip this summer that will cover a large swath of Ontario. After crossing part of the U.S., we will stay four nights at the Wildwood Conservation Area near Stratford while attending Shakespeare plays, two nights at Killarney PP, a visit to Sault Ste, Marie Canal Park and one night at Pancake Bay PP, two nights at Lake Superior PP Agawa Bay Campground, one night at Rainbow Falls PP Rossport Campground, two nights at Sleeping Giant PP, a day visit to Kakabeka Falls PP and probably a night back across the border at Grand Marais, MN before returning home. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Some spots had to be left for a future visit, or two!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #38

Just found this thread. We live in Stratford and have travelled the route you are taking. We always go north out of Stratford to Arthur then to Hwy 89 thru Shelborne (sp) to Hwy 400. Traffic will be heavy from Hwy 89 to Barrie, any evening, Fri and Sat in particular(Hwy 400 Toronto to Barrie is basically a commuter route to and from Toronto and to cottage country weekends). After Barrie it gets much better.

If you wish I can send you the exact route out of Stratford that I take.

Tom
Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerrard View Post
Just found this thread. We live in Stratford and have travelled the route you are taking. We always go north out of Stratford to Arthur then to Hwy 89 thru Shelborne (sp) to Hwy 400. Traffic will be heavy from Hwy 89 to Barrie, any evening, Fri and Sat in particular(Hwy 400 Toronto to Barrie is basically a commuter route to and from Toronto and to cottage country weekends). After Barrie it gets much better.

If you wish I can send you the exact route out of Stratford that I take.

Tom

Thanks - we are going to leave Stratford on Sunday morning and are hoping the traffic will be much better then. Think will be safe staying on the main highways at that time?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #40

If you are going via Kitchener/Waterloo to Hwy 401 to Toronto then Hwy 400 north you still can expect heavy traffic on the 401 east of Milton and all the way through to Hwy 400 and north to Barrie even on Sunday. It might move near the speed limit but heaven forbid one incident and you will be stuck at a crawl all the way from Milton.

Sunday and Sunday morning may be better than most days.

Another stop for you - just east of Pancake Bay Prov Park (between Sault St Marie & Wawa) is Agawa Indian Crafts and The Canadian Craver. It is a great stop, lots of parking, a small food stand, good rest rooms and an Esso Gas Station. You have to Google maps the Esso gas station at Pancake Bay to get the proper location.

I fuel there and leave with a full tank because when you hit the "mountains" at teh Montreal River and start up those grades you will wonder about having enough gas to make Wawa if you did not refuel.

Tags
ford