Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #61

We're off!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465758224.447953.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	110906

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #62

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Google Maps suggests after Arthur going to Keldon via 14 and 89, bypass Shellburne on 17 to Horning's Mills, then zig-zag up to Honeywood and Stayner via 17 and 18, then 36 and 22 over to Craighurst and pick up 400 there. Is that what you would do? I don't want to get lost on some country lanes(!) but we will have GPS. I would also want to avoid bad, potholed roads, low bridges and overhanging trees...😨

Google Maps says that shaves about 20km off the trip but doesn't add much to the driving time. The speed limits on many of those roads are only about 80kmh, but I'll bet they would be pretty empty on a Sunday morning so we could keep moving right along.

Would we find farmers' roadside stands along there? Need to stock up before hitting Killarney!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Highly recommend this route over 401 400. That's what we talked from New Hamburg to Killarney. Daughter is Chef at Killarney Mountain Lodge. Herbert's has the best white fish anywhere. Deep cold lake there.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #63

Yeah 401/400 is a bear of a road, let alone with a trailer/MH.

Look at this as an option: https://goo.gl/maps/j8BMnCwVBGK2
Sarnia: Atwood: Shelburn: Wasaga Beach: Coldwater: Sudbury: SSM etc.

Paved backroads, 80KPH for the most part. Hilly, scenic. Wasaga Beach is a tourist trap, but nice to see the area. I did this drive in my Corvette last summer, had a blast.

400 to 17 WEST in Sudbury is a bit tricky, watch the signage closely.
dodosmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #64

So far spent 4 nights at Wildwood, 2 at Killarney PP and one night tonight at Pancake Bay PP. I have posted pictures and write-ups on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVingOntarioCanada/

In yo Lake Superior PP tomorrow then Rainbow Falls, Sleeping Giant and Kakabeka Falls (day visit) PPs then Cascade River SP in MN.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #65

Ontario - Stratford to Thunder Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodosmike View Post
Yeah 401/400 is a bear of a road, let alone with a trailer/MH.

Look at this as an option: https://goo.gl/maps/j8BMnCwVBGK2
Sarnia: Atwood: Shelburn: Wasaga Beach: Coldwater: Sudbury: SSM etc.

Paved backroads, 80KPH for the most part. Hilly, scenic. Wasaga Beach is a tourist trap, but nice to see the area. I did this drive in my Corvette last summer, had a blast.

400 to 17 WEST in Sudbury is a bit tricky, watch the signage closely.

Thanks! We went near New Texcumseth then king's highway via Barrie.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #66

Coming from Calgary across the top of the Lakes to Toronto - Advice

I apologize for being late to this thread but we have only just started planning a road trip to Toronto next year that will take us across the top edge of the lakes. Just curious to know what the roads are like (flat, hilly, poor condition, etc.) . I was hoping to get from Thunder Bay to somewhere on the outer edges of Toronto in less than three days of driving but having read some of these responses I feel I may be a little too optimistic.

Thanks in advance

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
I apologize for being late to this thread but we have only just started planning a road trip to Toronto next year that will take us across the top edge of the lakes. Just curious to know what the roads are like (flat, hilly, poor condition, etc.) . I was hoping to get from Thunder Bay to somewhere on the outer edges of Toronto in less than three days of driving but having read some of these responses I feel I may be a little too optimistic.

(Add: also a lot of good size hills up and down but those are pretty manageable depending on your equipment.)

Thanks in advance
Generally the roads are pretty good except the area just west of Sudbury which is run down. However from Sudbury to Thunder Bay it's one construction site after another. Many are one lane blocking which requires flaggers or alternating red and green lights (one direction has to wait for another). Don't plan on making any good time through there.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #68

Ontario - Stratford to Thunder Bay

Roughing it out, that's about 1,345 km to get short of Toronto. If you average 85 kmh (you're not going to average 100...), that's about 16 hours of driving. Add 2 hrs. for construction delays (some stops are short, some can be 15 mins. and shut off the motor), that's 18 hours of pure driving not counting rest, food and fuel stops. Those can add 2 hrs./ day. So that's 3 days of 8+ hours. If you want to run two longer days, you could cut the third day down. Personally, I'm not into getting up and out super early or arriving at campgrounds after dinner time. But each person gets to choose their way...

PS: the roads are quite hilly but those are generally manageable depending on your equipment. You may also experience some strong winds which may make you want to throttle back with some regularity, again depending on your equipment.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #69

Our kids live in Thunder Bay we've done in Southwestern Ontario to Thunder Bay and back many many times. The one-lane construction areas don't hold you up much of Hit the Light wrong you're there for 5 minutes. It's very hilly between Thunder Bay and Sault Sainte Marie. We've done it many times in a day even with the trailer that's a long drive though 2 days would do it for sure
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Our kids live in Thunder Bay we've done in Southwestern Ontario to Thunder Bay and back many many times. The one-lane construction areas don't hold you up much of Hit the Light wrong you're there for 5 minutes. It's very hilly between Thunder Bay and Sault Sainte Marie. We've done it many times in a day even with the trailer that's a long drive though 2 days would do it for sure
Thanks for the information. I've got a few months to decide what we might end up doing and whether I need to make reservations for a couple of nights along the way.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #71

If the timing works don't miss Kakabecka Falls. Wonderful Provincial Park but the falls themselves are awesome. Second highest falls in Ontario. If you need more info just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #72

We just went through there, and it's not so simple today. There is some very heavy construction going on. There were a few times we turned off the vehicle. But we didn't get the card deck out.

Tags
ford