Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

Ontario - Stratford to Thunder Bay

Hi, we're planning out a trip for June and will head across the US first to Stratford, then around north of the Great Lakes to Thunder Bay then back down what we call the North Short of Minnesota to home. Just the two of us, no kids, and we prefer the great outdoors, quite campgrounds, natural areas, scenic and private spaces, hiking spots. We water and would do canoeing where available but won't be hauling a boat. We're not hung up on full hookups and can do dry camping for a couple of days, but electricity would sure be nice (which I see at all these places except one - Killarney if I remember right).

I'm thinking about this route, roughly 2 days each:

Wildwood Conservation Area - near Stratford

Killarney Provincial Park - near Sudbury

Lake Superior Provincial Park (or Pukaskwa National Park- no reservations but "rarely full" they say online) - near Wawa

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park - near Thunder Bay

Shooting for about 5-6 hours driving/day max. so we can avoid rushing, enjoy the scenic trip, get settled in a spot well before sunset and still enjoy some of the park the day of arrival. Probably stay 2 days each place.

I figure driving times at 50 mph (80 kmh) average with interruptions and all so that's about 250-300 miles/day or 400-485 km./day. The total trip (straight highway distance) is 1500 km so the math is just a bit off here, but not too much. Google maps says it's 16 hrs just on the highway but I would figure 18, so three days at 6 each, maybe make up some time here and there but there is certainly extra time getting into and out of these parks that are not right on the highway.

What do you think of these choices and plans, or what else would you recommend? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #2

Rabbit Blanket PP near Wawa is a nice park.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Canadian Member

I would plan on doing no more than an average of 40 mph and I personally avoid Hwy. 400 like the plague. Way too may crazy drivers for me.

You could consider Algonquin PP but that would take you away from the Great Lakes a bit. IMO, Algonquin is well worth it but then I haven't been to the PPs you mentioned either.

Sounds like a very nice trip.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

We did Pukaskwa National Park and sleeping giant two summers ago. Both parks are very nice. At Pukaskwa National Park the wind was coming off lake Superior so it was cold, highs of 10C (50F) in late July. There were lots of spots available in late July. Seemed to be a stop over park for people. There is good hiking and you can rent a canoe just have to make sure you stay in the coves by the park and not on the lake. Sleeping giant is very nice as well. Lots of hiking and animals. We had dear, rabbits, and even wolves around. We stayed in site 201. very long sight and private.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Killarney and Algonquin PP's are both within an easy drive of Toronto so although nice are busy. Once you get past North Bay or Sudbury the real camping begins. Chutes, Neys and Kakabecka Falls are all awesome. Ontario is big. Really big. Lots of driving to get around the lake. Have fun and enjoy!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #6

Consider Neys PP. Great place with interesting walkable lake shoreline. Was a German POW camp during WWII. Your itinerary sounds good. It'll be a great trip.
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

Have you considered taking the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry from Tobermory to South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Ontario Parks

You may also want to look at Grundy Lake Provincial Park. Located about an hour North of Parry Sound just off highway 400. They have some electric only sites (water and sewer dump station on way in). Scenic hiking trails. Beautiful lakes that are restricted to non motorized boats.

If you do go to Killarney, make a trip into town to try Herbert's Fish and Chips located on the waterfront. THey use fresh caught fish.

Safe travels

Bill and Diane
Cobalt, Ont

2015 Dodge Ram Ecodiesel
2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 18RB
Equal-i-zer hitch
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Plan...

To avoid travel from Stratford north on a Friday or Saturday. The northbound 400/69 is not for the faint of heart. Make a reservation for Killarney. It is beautiful and popular. It is an hour in off the highway. Grundy is a good option. Stratford is worth exploring. Plan on bugs in the north. Enjoy.
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

"... we're planning out a trip for June and will head across the US first to Stratford...." -- please do take your time in and around Stratford! has been a number of years since I was there, but back in the day, which might still be the same, most of a day could be softly passed along the river front, letting the mind wander with the swans, watching lawn bowling matches, just coming down from being on the road -- and then, from about april into october, mozy thru the streets of town, take in a stage matinee, then a light dinner and another theatre to cap the day -- too much to enjoy to stuff it all into a day or so -- Enjoy!!
don1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #11

Thunder Bay

Don't forget Quetico Provincial Park, 100 miles west of Thunder Bay on Hwy 11. Canoeing paradice, two mile canoe trip to the Pines, Pickeral Lake for a beautiful sand beach. There is also a hiking trail there. This is a park that allows no motors, no live bait.
John
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

We live in the Sault and I am familiar with your route. I have done it a few times and it is very scenic. Lake Superior Provincial Park is nice. I suggest stopping at Chippewa Falls on the Trans-Canada (Hwy 17 North) out of the Sault. It is pretty and there is adequate parking, a picnic spot and rest rooms. This is the half-way point on the Trans-Canada between Atlantic Canada and Vancouver. I like the commercial campground in Wawa also. It is right on a river and I have caught some nice Jackfish there at times.
NWT Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #13
Another adventure awaits!

Killarney is amazing ... Definitely a must see ... And the suggestion of the Chichimaun from tobermory to Manitoulin island to espanola ... Can't go wrong there either ... I am from Ontario and have done the northern Ontario route many times ... Really not that much to see between Sault Ste Marie and thunderbay ... Tis a very long deserted highway ... Stay gassed up ... Enjoy yr trip ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Rabbit Blanket PP near Wawa is a nice park.
Thank you - it looks lovely. I see it is part of Lake Superior Provincial Park.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I would plan on doing no more than an average of 40 mph and I personally avoid Hwy. 400 like the plague. Way too may crazy drivers for me.

You could consider Algonquin PP but that would take you away from the Great Lakes a bit. IMO, Algonquin is well worth it but then I haven't been to the PPs you mentioned either.

Sounds like a very nice trip.
Thank you for noting the speed and traffic issues. It doesn't look like I can realistically avoid Hwy. 400 coming out of the Stratford area. I will look at Algonquin but that would add miles (sorry, km.!) to the trip so we may need to hug the shoreline.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
We did Pukaskwa National Park and sleeping giant two summers ago. Both parks are very nice. At Pukaskwa National Park the wind was coming off lake Superior so it was cold, highs of 10C (50F) in late July. There were lots of spots available in late July. Seemed to be a stop over park for people. There is good hiking and you can rent a canoe just have to make sure you stay in the coves by the park and not on the lake. Sleeping giant is very nice as well. Lots of hiking and animals. We had dear, rabbits, and even wolves around. We stayed in site 201. very long sight and private.
Thank you for the good information! Sounds lovely!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #17

If you go north from Stratford you could avoid the 400 and Toronto traffic and take the ferry across Lake Huron. The trip from Stratford to the ferry is about 3 hours.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat661 View Post
You may also want to look at Grundy Lake Provincial Park. Located about an hour North of Parry Sound just off highway 400. They have some electric only sites (water and sewer dump station on way in). Scenic hiking trails. Beautiful lakes that are restricted to non motorized boats.

If you do go to Killarney, make a trip into town to try Herbert's Fish and Chips located on the waterfront. THey use fresh caught fish.

Safe travels

Bill and Diane
Cobalt, Ont

2015 Dodge Ram Ecodiesel
2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 18RB
Equal-i-zer hitch
I second Grundy lake. The actual road into Killarney is secondary highway and really rough. We went in with the 5th wheel last summer and stayed at the marina, almost got killed as the electrical was wired hot on ground!!

Killarney PP is really tight, not much over 24 ft TT will fit. I went through there and could not get my 32 ft TT in any spot, trees and such.

I second Heberts Fish, they close at 7 pm most nights, Daughter is a Chef at Killarney Mountain Lodge her 5th summer up there! A day trip is a better choice.

As far as the ferry the cost is pretty high for MH and if you have a toad add dollars!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Thank you for the good information! Sounds lovely!
I have not been to Sleepy Giant since the 70's. Great view. Pancake Bay on Lake superior has the sand beach and the water is like a iceberg! Deep lake and cold water. the Petroglyphs PP had a board walk along the caves on the lake front with native story telling painted on the walls. A very exciting part of Ontario.

BTW we live close to Stratford ourselves.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you go north from Stratford you could avoid the 400 and Toronto traffic and take the ferry across Lake Huron. The trip from Stratford to the ferry is about 3 hours.
Thanks - is that the Tobermory to Manitoulin Island? It looks like the fare for 2 + RV would be about CN150.

Tags
ford