Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Protection and crossing the Border

I am planning another trip to Glacier this year and hope people can help me with an issue that is preventing me from traveling to the Canadian side.

I carry protection with me wherever I go in the US. However, I am very aware that Canadian laws are different. How have others done this legally?

I know this is a "hot" topic. Please keep responses to comments on advice instead of off topic protection issues.

Thanks in advance

2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)
Bringing Weapons Into Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

some good scoop

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Team
The news article I posted in this thread a while ago might help:

Yet another story of gun seizures at the border.

Basically, the guy had his guns locked in a safe, but was still charged with trying to bring them in. Best bet is to just not carry. If you have have to, be absolutely certain to declare, and let the chips land where they may (whether they're seized or you're just turned back). At least if they're declared they won't think you're trying to smuggle them which is illegal.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is online now   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
I wouldn't try to take a handgun into Canada. I am a CHL holder from Texas but I would not take one to Canada. They don't want them there and it is there Country. You could leave it some were up north in the US, gun shop or police station, and pick it up on your way back. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

I used to carry protection when I was single and a lot younger. I can't see why it would be illegal in Canada...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Took a trip up there last year, Glacier and into Waterton.

Handguns, Absolutely NOT. Their border patrol WILL ask. And so will the US BP on your return.

There is a byzantine set of rules to follow and preparation to take a hunting rifle that you can find online. It looked to be far more effort than it would be worth. Their border patrol WILL ask.

Even pepper spray is not allowed. Although, you can take Bear Deterrent spray. I believe it needs to be labelled as such (e.g. not a personal Mace spray sized device, since the implied intended target would be human). And if you were to use it on a person you would be in deep doo, even for self defense.

You can find this information online, or call one of their border patrol offices.
Underthedog is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
I'm assuming by "protection" you mean handgun?

Best answer is to NOT try and cross the border with a handgun. Good chance you could loose it with it not being returned or you could be turned around.

Someone suggested storing it at a gun shop south of the border and retrieve it when you return.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ CCLB DRW D/A - Transfer flow 40 gallon Toolbox/Tank Combo - Line X - Edge Insight

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0
RubyDually is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Smile Firearms in Canada

My friend contacted a firearms dealer and had it shipped to another dealer in the states. Also you may find a pawn shop is cheaper than a regular firearms dealer.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
re hand guns in canada

The main reason you are not allowed to carry "protection" in Canada is not only illegal but mostly because you don't need it here. We travel to and in the US for months of at a time and we have never felt that we needed to have a handgun while there.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #10

Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
My friend contacted a firearms dealer and had it shipped to another dealer in the states. Also you may find a pawn shop is cheaper than a regular firearms dealer.
Can you expand on that? It sounds like your friend had a hand-gun in Canada and then had a dealer ship it to another in the United States where your friend retrieved it.

From your profile, it appears that you live in Colorado. Was your friend an American, too? How did they get the gun from the United States to Canada? Did you then carry the firearm in Canada on them/in their RV?

Is it legal to do this?

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply
Closed Thread