Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Route from Edmundston to Montreal to Utica

I will be towing my Cedar Creek 34RL this weekend from Ft Kent, ME to Utica, NY. My GPS says the shortest route is through Canada. I'm VERY concerned about low clearances wherever I travel because my overall height at the top of the front air conditioner is 13' 9". (I know, it's 3" over-height and I need to find a solution, but that's for another thread.)

Right now the plan is to cross the border into Canada from Madawaska to Edmundston and take Rt 2 to Rt 85 to Rt 20 to Rt 30 to Rt 15 to the KOA Montreal South where we'll spend the night. The next morning we'll get back onto Rt 15 and cross the border into NY where we'll pick up I-87 to Rt 8 to Utica.

For those of you familiar with the routes in Canada, can anyone confirm that I will NOT have any problems with low clearances along the Canadian routes that I detailed above?

Same question for the NY routes; will I be ok at 13' 9" on I-87 and Rt 8?

As I get closer to this drive my "fear of the unknown" is increasing. Any help that you can provide is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

If you take the I95 route it is only 45 min. longer. You will stay on the US side and save $$$ on fuel. Gas prices in Quebec are usually the highest in Canada. If you do take the Canadian side there will not be any problems with height. The routes listed are main highways.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Caper,

Thanks for the reply. Excellent suggestion. Staying in the U.S. will add another 100 miles to the trip but the total travel time over the two days won't be much different. I'm sure we can find a place to sleep along the way and saving $$ on fuel is a bonus. I think we just changed our travel plans. Thanks again!

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote