Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I'm dangerous with a slingshot...would this be prohibited also? Just curious
That would be Australia

The Sydney Morning Herald - Google News Archive Search

About half way down the page on the left...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #22

When walking in bear country, you should carry bear spray and wear bells on your shoes. If you see bear scat you can tell the difference between black and grizzly. A black bear will have nuts and berries and a grizzly will smell like pepper and have bells in it.lol
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not just firearms! Any "personal defensive devices" are prohibited.

No pepper spray; no mace; no folding knives (the fighting kind); no ammunition or components; etc.
You're right. I got asked last time we returned to Ontario by the Canada Customs agent if I had purchased any personal protection devices while I was in the US. I thought he was asking about condoms!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #24

Just going off on a tangent from this original post; several years ago, when my brother came out to Canada for a vacation he was rather concerned that, to be effective, bear spray was only useful when the bear was close. As the conversation developed he seriously believed that you stood there while being charged by a grizzly, dousing yourself in bear spray in order to make yourself less edible, in much the same way as you do with mosquito repellant.

He now lives in Canada and will probably be joining this forum shortly when he buys his first North American RV. If he reads this I'm sure he'll deny the conversation but it still makes me laugh even to this day.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When walking in bear country, you should carry bear spray and wear bells on your shoes. If you see bear scat you can tell the difference between black and grizzly. A black bear will have nuts and berries and a grizzly will smell like pepper and have bells in it.lol
Too Funny!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Just going off on a tangent from this original post; several years ago, when my brother came out to Canada for a vacation he was rather concerned that, to be effective, bear spray was only useful when the bear was close. As the conversation developed he seriously believed that you stood there while being charged by a grizzly, dousing yourself in bear spray in order to make yourself less edible, in much the same way as you do with mosquito repellant.

He now lives in Canada and will probably be joining this forum shortly when he buys his first North American RV. If he reads this I'm sure he'll deny the conversation but it still makes me laugh even to this day.
Man I would love to see that!

Reminds me of the hunter who sprayed himself with "Buck Attractant" so he could lure a rutting buck to him and save himself the trouble of tracking a big buck.

An amorous buck nearly killed him when he charged the hunter and knocked him to the ground before he could raise his rifle. When his cries brought other hunters to the scene they found him sitting under a tree smoking a cigarette with a weird grin.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Farmer, quick rule of thumb that I go by to convert speeds/distances is to take the speed in kilometers, drop the ending 0 (zero) and multiply by 6 (ie: 90 = 9, 9*6 = 54 mph. 50 = 5, 5*6 = 30mph, etc.) Works the same for distances too... 120 km = 12, 12*6 = 72 miles (actual conversion of 120 km = 74.5 miles) You get the idea... By using the "6" rule, you will always calculate lower than actual conversion and should avoid all tickets if you set your cruise...

Walk up to a Tim Hortons and ask for the large double-double (if you like your coffee with some sweetness)....

Best of luck,

J.
I just look at my (stock) speedo it has both # listed! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #28

I have yet to hear of a grizzly bear in Quebec or Ontario, but definitely plenty of black bears up north! (fortunately not roaming the cities, LOL). I guess if you travelled waaaay up north you could find polar bears, but your RV would have to sprout wings Walmarts are everywhere, as you can see on the Allstays map. FYI, just about every place you can use a debit card (bank card)for payment. Been years since I carried cash.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #29

Just as a FYI, you'll be travelling through Quebec and Ontario, 2 provinces I avoid when travelling cross country. I divert through the US.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #30

Hello Jim
This link may be of value for Ontario https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/Home.aspx
I believe reservations are up to 3 months in advance maximum.
Regarding weapons - Canadian Criminal Law/Weapons - Wikibooks, open books for an open world -- an interesting list
With regards to food - a lot of farmers markets will be up and running when you have your trip planned -- a chance at fresh everything at sometimes reasonable prices if you get the chance to stop in -- E.g Sault Ste Marie Farmers Markets information, listings and links
For currency exchange I suggest AAA travellers cheques to be used as needed or banks local to your rest stops for as required exchanges (better exchange rates) or debit/interac systems are commonly available as well

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #31

Highway 17 that goes around the north side of Lake Superior is a beautiful drive, and the highway is in great shape. We just drove it last fall, and loved it. And most of the semis use the #11, so traffic isn't a problem. I think you'll have a great time!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #32

I would not bother with traveler cheques. Most businesses around our area take the green back at par. You can also exchange your US dollars to Canadian at any bank. Most locations will honor Master Card, Visa and debit. At gas stations your credit cards might not work in the pumps but will be OK to use inside. If you are going to be in the 1000 Island region I recommend taking one of the boat tours of the river. Rockport is a "small drinking village with a fishing problem". The 1000 Islands KOA Mallorytown is a great place to stay. They have a pool, hot tub,sauna and some 75' long drive trough sites. These site are 50 amp with two sewer outlets.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #33

Stock your pantry and fridge with the essentials on the US side of the border - some of them are twice the price in Canada. Salt, sugar, flour, butter, oatmeal, raisins. spices, honey, jam, bread, salad dressing, baking soda, baking powder etc. We do a massive grocery shopping before crossing north. There are limits on some food items - check the previously cited links for specifics, but they aren't restrictive - $20 worth of cheese per person - for us that's $100 worth of cheese. They don't let you bring raw potatoes into Canada (it's a trade thing). Leave your firearms and weapons at home, but yes bring any alcohol you want for the trip. Over certain limits you'll pay duty, but even with the duty it's less expensive than a purchase in Canada (particularly if you are a Trader Joe's TwoBuck Chuck fan). Make sure you are honest when they ask you what you have.

Coming home to the US there are certain restrictions. For example don't even think of bringing citrus into the US!! Eat fast or juice it and pour it into a bottle! You can bring into the US fruits and veggies that were grown in the US. So when you are shopping in Canada avoid the "grown in Peru" label and choose only the US source - that way when you return you can show the label and don't have to dump anything.

Oh, when you have to pay duty on something (like beer or bottles of wine) you do have to go into the office but it doesn't take long. Some of the time they will wave you through even though you are somewhat over the limit.

One big recommendation is to have your paperwork ready to go. Border agents are not happy about waiting even if there is no one behind you in line. Before you head to the border returning to the US, gather your receipts for purchases in Canada, and make a list - have it neat and ready to present when asked.

ALSO - big suggestion write down your licence plate numbers and have them ready when asked. We have it on a label just next to the driver's window.

And no, Tim Horton's coffee is only so-so - the McDonalds offerings are better quality. They do not make the donuts from scratch. The locations heat frozen donuts - not worth the calories! They are filled with artificial flavors, colors and preservatives!
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #34

I have traveled all over Canada and could not imagine having a problem. The people in general are very nice and helpful. Things are more expensive, fuel, beer etc.
You will have a great time. The only issue that I have ever had is that some border staff are concerned about guns, don't bring any, and they some times act as if you are an American gun nut. They have a different view of firearms then many in the US.
Several years ago I was crossing over from the US into BC to go fly fishing for a few days and was asked if I had any alcohol and when I responded four bottles of wine, I was told I would have to pay duty on, I think three of them, I was asked what I was going to do with the wine and I answered I was taking it to the people who run the fish camp as a gift. The border agent told me to go on and enjoy my trip, no duty.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
phat phrog stunt crew

a park in canada ive heard about and seen pics of that i would love to go see is algonquin prov park. looked to be an excellent place to spend a week or 2.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #36

Keep on posting guys (and gals)!

I am getting great information ! You forum members are full of it ! Information that is ! Thanks to each and every one of you ! Please keep on coming with the suggestions .... Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #37

A number of years ago I stopped at a 7-11 Store in Canada to purchase beer. I was told by the clerk that I'd have to go to the "beer store" to buy beer. I commented that I thought 7-11 WAS a beer store, but they sent me a couple of blocks away to a big warehouse.
No beer was visible inside; just a price list on the wall and a clerk who used a gooseneck microphone to call orders to the back. Guys were in there ordering multiple cases of beer at a time, and the orders would momentarily come through a big hole in the wall via a conveyor belt.
My single 6-pack of LeBatt look rather puny when it came through the hole, but I learned a lesson on how things worked up there - at least back then.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
A number of years ago I stopped at a 7-11 Store in Canada to purchase beer. I was told by the clerk that I'd have to go to the "beer store" to buy beer. I commented that I thought 7-11 WAS a beer store, but they sent me a couple of blocks away to a big warehouse.
No beer was visible inside; just a price list on the wall and a clerk who used a gooseneck microphone to call orders to the back. Guys were in there ordering multiple cases of beer at a time, and the orders would momentarily come through a big hole in the wall via a conveyor belt.
My single 6-pack of LeBatt look rather puny when it came through the hole, but I learned a lesson on how things worked up there - at least back then.

As a life long, beer guzzling Canadian, I have never heard tell of a a beer store like that. In Newfoundland, you can buy beer at any corner store, any day of the week. Nova Scotia, it's available at NSLC stores. And btw, its real beer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
As a life long, beer guzzling Canadian, I have never heard tell of a a beer store like that. In Newfoundland, you can buy beer at any corner store, any day of the week. Nova Scotia, it's available at NSLC stores. And btw, its real beer.
Looks like he's describing the Beer Stores in Ontario...only place to get beer in Ontario, other than imported beer at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) stores.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

There's fake beer?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote