Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
To Canadian forum members?

We are considering a trip that could include some traveling in Canada . We will be pulling a 6500 lb TT with a 1/2 ton . Any laws and regulations I need to be made aware of ? We will probably cross into Canada in Quebec and exit Canada in Thunder Bay or International Falls . Don't know any thing about traveling in Canada much less any laws that may affect us and the towing of our camper ! We are excited about our first Canadian adventure ! We want to do our home work so as to make it enjoyable and memorable . Please help ! Any American that has traveled in Canada feel free to shout out to us also! ! Thanks Jim

FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
You worries about your towing set-up, just bring lots of money. Hopefully you're aware the Canadian Firearms laws are very different (and I'm not looking to start any debate!)

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Director, FROG
Farmer Jim, you might want to go to the FROG website,, and click on "Useful Links." You'll find links to both the Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. There should be helpful information on both sites.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
You can get good free info sent to you if you Google Tourism Quebec and Tourism Ontario (each Province has their own tourism dept). Allstays is good for finding campgrounds. The Provincial Parks are lovely and do keep a portion of their sites for same day bookings, but like the USA State Parks, the sites are not huge; however, they can be booked online and you can see pix of each site and specify size of rig, pull thu, etc. Google Ontario Provincial Parks. Also Camping In Ontario has an excellent free campground guide put out by the Private Campgrounds Association on Ontario. That should get you started!
Tina & Ted & pooches
2012 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0L V8 4x4 with tow package
Andersen WD hitch with sway prevention
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
First of, speeds, measures and temperatures are metric! So when you see 80 on the speed limit sign, it's not 80 MPH but 80 KPH which really is 50 MPH. Fuel sold in litres (3.8 litres = 1 US gal.) and 30 C is not freezing but dam hot. I personally would not use international falls as a crossing, I did it once did not like it. As I recall narrow single lane, and I believe a toll to get across river. (International Falls / Fort Frances I prefer the Provincial campgrounds although Ontario Provincial CG are more expensive than Manitoba and you will have a daily or seasonal entrance fees. There are also ample private campgrounds.
Have a great trip!
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
The towing laws are pretty much the same as they are in the states, which can also have a slight variance from state to state. Our speed limits are in kilometers per hour and distances are measured in meters and kilometers. 80 kph is approximately 50mph, 1 mile is about 1.6 kilometers and 300 meters is about 330 yards. Gasoline is more expensive and is sold in liters. 1US gal equals about 3.78 liters.Currently in Calgary we are paying about $0.93 per liter for regular gas. Goods sold by weight are in grams and kilograms. 1 kilogram is 2.2lbs and 8oz is about 225grams. Many of the signs in Quebec are written in French ( well, Canadian French) and the locals speak mainly Canadian French too.

Remember to add the 5% GST to much of what you buy and there may well be a PST (Provincial Sales Tax to add as well). These vary between the Provinces - Alberta only has GST. For the main, the notes are now made out of a polymer to help make them last longer and be (allegedly) more difficult to counterfeit. The different denominations of bank notes are also a different colour, making it less likely that you'll give out a $20 bill instead of a $10. Presently, the Canadian 'Lonnie' is pretty much on par with the US greenback.

Check the CBS import limits for the amount of tobacco, alcohol and other restricted goods, including meat, fruit and vegetables that you can cross the border with. It isn't a huge amount. I have similar issues traveling south and tend to leave everything until we find a grocery store close to where we are staying - that and it is sometimes cheaper. Don't try and bring a firearm to Canada or for that matter ammunition. That will get you hung up at the border crossing and will impact your visit.

By and large the Canadians are very polite so you shouldn't have any problems. The 'Church of Tim Hortons' is the holy grail as far as Canadians are concerned for coffee and doughnuts - myself, I'm not too enthusiastic. Now I have probably said enough to get myself deported!

I wish you a safe and wonderful trip.
Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Regular gas is CDN$1.24 per liter in Ontario. If you are travelling north on highway #17 from Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay you will see lots of hills and truck runoffs north of the Sault. There is a long grade just north of the Sault.

Very scenic but make sure your brakes are in good order.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Plus gas up at Sault Ste. Marie. It is a long drive to Wawa. There is gas available at Montreal River but the station is located on a hill and not well marked. We ran out of gas 2 years ago on this stretch of highway. The person from CAA informed us that the get a lot of calls for gas and usually at same location. We were about 20 miles from Wawa. The northern part of Ontario is vary hilly. With some long steep hills. If you need any more info you can PM me.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Hello Jim, do you have a time of year that you re thinking of -- this may impact campground availability along with other items.
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew
dont forget clearances are set in meters as well. forget the conversion for them, but i think 4 meters is about 13 ft. somebody will be along shortly to correct both my memory and my math

and tim hortons coffee and donuts are excellent.

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote