Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
In Ontario, Highway 17 is the TransCanada. 11 runs north from North bay and curves around to the west. It and 17 meet up again in Nipigon and from there to Thunder Bay it is known as 11/17. They split up again after T-Bay.

11 is an easier drive grade-wise. 17 follows the shore of Lake Superior and has both spectacular scenery and lots of steep grades.
I would also add that there is some beautiful scenery along 11 which I prefer when hauling the trailer. It is pretty hard to not enjoy the sight of the great lakes but after a few hours of looking at the same water it gets a bit boring. I like 17 when we were running with just our van back in 2003 and 04. Also there is a Walmart in Kapuskasing and Cécile's Trailer Park in Hearst but be forewarned that is just a field with full service spots to park just like setting up in a field almost except you have hookups. We used it as it was convient on our trip as we only wanted a place to stop for the night.

Oh and don't forget to find a nice safe place to pull off the highway while on 17 and make an inuksuk as that seems to be a right of passage through northern Ontario. You will understand once you are on the highway and see them sitting on top of most granite embankments.

(Among other things the Inuksuk is a symbol of the human spirit. It recognizes our ability to succeed with others, where alone we might fail. It reminds us of our need to belong to something greater than ourselves and prompts us to reconnect with our individual responsibility to invest our efforts today so that we may all have a better tomorrow. The Inuksuk conveys the importance of personal contribution and it reinforces our ability to commit to common goals.)
Attached Images

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Oh and don't forget to find a nice safe place to pull off the highway while on 17 and make an inuksuk as that seems to be a right of passage through northern Ontario. You will understand once you are on the highway and see them sitting on top of most granite embankments.

(Among other things the Inuksuk is a symbol of the human spirit. It recognizes our ability to succeed with others, where alone we might fail. It reminds us of our need to belong to something greater than ourselves and prompts us to reconnect with our individual responsibility to invest our efforts today so that we may all have a better tomorrow. The Inuksuk conveys the importance of personal contribution and it reinforces our ability to commit to common goals.)
You'll find them in some of the darndest places...
I've seen them on the shores of lakes that were nearly impossible to get into, on rock outcroppings in the middle of nowhere and this one which I photographed in the Yukon not far from the Arctic Circle last August:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	25181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	25182  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #23

To get back on topic, I once stayed at Rene Brunelle Provincial Park on #11 not far from Kapuskasing.
It was a pretty spot but I made the mistake of going in June. I've never, before or since, been anywhere where the bugs were so bad.
We lasted one day and then beat a hasty retreat down to Temagami.