Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Trans Labrador Highway

We are planning to travel the trans Labrador Highway in late July and early August. We will be accessing it by coming up from Baie-Comeau, Quebec and actually starting the trans Labrador Highway at Labrador City, and following it all the way across and down and the taking the ferry from Blanc Sablon, Quebec to St Barbe, Newfoundland. We are aware that camping is next to non-existant along the highway and that it is only about 1/2 paved. Just looking for any and all comments from anyone experienced and/or in the know about taking this trip. We will be in a 32' Sunseeker and towing a car. Thanks for any input.
gschwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

I rode the other way on a motorcycle. Beautiful area. The highway is unpaved as noted. You should consider something to protect your car. Be prepared for dust clouds when other vehicles on the unpaved sections; we would pull over to let the visibility clear. At the start get a satellite phone; the Province provides them at no charge provided you return it at the other end. There is no service between the populated areas and if you encounter trouble the sat phone can call for help. The hydro dam in Churchill Falls is interesting and tours available. Towards the end (for you) there is a really nice valley that you should explore; great scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the info

Mduff, thanks for the info. Good to know about the satellite phone. Do you remember a name for the valley that was so nice. We may just stay several days near the end of the road and would love to take some side trips to see more of the area. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

How did your trip go thru Labrador? I wish I seen this post earlier as I live in Labrador city.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
thevosmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

Trans Labrador Highway

Well, we made it as did the motor home and car. The biggest issue was the DUST, inside and out. However, no damage to the motor home and only a few gravel dings to the car. The only campgrounds that we stayed in were at Manic 2, about 15 miles from Baie-Comeau and then at Pinware River Provincial Park, about 25 miles from the other end. Other than those two, we stayed at pull-offs and at the Curling Center parking lot in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. The one day we were in Labrador City was a Provincial Holiday and basically nothing was open. The 40% (guess) of the road that was not paved was anywhere from very good to downright AWFUL. The scenery though was wonderful, but the only wildlife that we saw were mosquitoes and black flies, and lots of them. The weather was quite nice, especially having come from 90 degree plus temperatures. One of the nicest things was the friendliness and kindness of everyone. Thank goodness we did not have to use the Satellite phone. Thanks for getting back to me, you certainly do have a beautiful and remote place to live.