Old 03-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Travelling back and forth from below freezing

I am a newbie and wonder what to do when one travels from Canada to the States and back in the spring or the fall. The days might be warm enough but nights can be well below freezing. What do you do with water systems?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

This is one of the "advantages" of living in the Great White North. If you're travelling from the south to the north, where temperatures fall below freezing, winterizing is a must and conversely, de-winterizing when you're heading back down south. Some trailers come equipped with heating pads on the grey, black and freshwater tanks and that will certainly help when temps aren't too cold. Outside water lines can be wrapped with heated electrical wrap to keep them freezing overnight. Also make sure that heat is getting to areas that contain the water pump, lines etc. That being said, the only safe bet is to winterize.

We are heading off to the Florida Keys in the next couple of days, and as the trailer is currently winterized and we won't be in moderate, i.e. above freezing temps, for at least 1,200 kilometers, we'll be opting for a motel for at least the first night. Sucks, but that is reality.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Travelling back and forth from below freezing

Thank you. You said "not too cold". I was thinking about those nights when the temperature is about freezing. One never knows, particularly in the mountains, when it goes well below zero Celsius. I would assume that the "black" water will not freeze easily, so one can carry some water in a cannister to be able to use the toilette, but that's about it.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

You could leave Canada in the fall and not return until May first. Just kidding
Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
WFD

whj77372....many do it! The rest of us are just waiting for the day where we can do it!

Rick
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

Well, unlike many Canadians, I like winter and cannot stand high heat. Arizona in February is not for me. Months without snow, temperatures going from subfreezing to above, that is the time when we are restless and would like to travel. So far, I am not sure should I travel with water or not.

Tags
travel