Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

I had one of these visit

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
jdadoug

Glad no one went off on me for my little rant I really didnt mean to sound so anti-wild animal..........
I do like Dave's idea, pass the gravy!
jdadoug

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
jdadoug

Snakes

Filthy Beast, while I was visiting my brother inlaw at Flaming Gorge lake in Wy. he told me to look out for rattle snakes! Me being a good ole Kansan, I expected to see a timber rattler or at least somthing like it.
Next morning while sitting around the campfire he suddenly yells out,
RATTLE SNAKE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!
I jump up and scramble, then come back to see the snake.
Ok, so here's this little snake (looks about like your picture) its called a
"Pygmy Rattlesnake" they dont get very big and they are slow and I doubt they would even bite you, not that I would have let him!
So far in my 50 plus years living in Ks. I have killed 6 rattle snakes, the biggest had 13 rattles. I skined and tanned him and mounted him to a board, nice conversation starter.........jdadoug
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug View Post
Filthy Beast, while I was visiting my brother inlaw at Flaming Gorge lake in Wy. he told me to look out for rattle snakes! Me being a good ole Kansan, I expected to see a timber rattler or at least somthing like it.
Next morning while sitting around the campfire he suddenly yells out,
RATTLE SNAKE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!
I jump up and scramble, then come back to see the snake.
Ok, so here's this little snake (looks about like your picture) its called a
"Pygmy Rattlesnake" they dont get very big and they are slow and I doubt they would even bite you, not that I would have let him!
So far in my 50 plus years living in Ks. I have killed 6 rattle snakes, the biggest had 13 rattles. I skined and tanned him and mounted him to a board, nice conversation starter.........jdadoug
The one in the picture was actually 4+ feet long. When we came home the DW says "what's that big stick in the driveway"? Around here they are called Bull Snakes but back in Wisconsin the are Gopher snakes. They do look quite a bit like rattlers.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
Site Team

Down here in north Louisiana, you have to watch out for cottonmouths and (believe it or not) wild hogs.....and not just the ones on motorcycles.

Those mean pigs can really mess up a vehicle when hit. Most of these hogs will run if you come upon them in the woods, but some can be aggressive.

I stopped at a rest area along I-20, to use the restroom. Since I was pulling our big tire trailer, I parked aways off. As I was walking to the place of business, I heard something and looked over where three hogs were coming thru a place in the fence that had been knocked down by a fallen tree.

We all four let out a surprised grunt, as we eyeballed each other at the exact same time. We all went back the same way we way came (or I assume they did because I didn't look back till I was at the truck). My guy who stayed in the truck was laughing as he saw me run back, and thought I had came up on a snake, as he never saw the pigs. I told him I would just hold it till we got back to the shop.

Our first split of Turkey season is about to open, and I got a friend who I am going to show these pics to. It'll fire him up.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #16

I sure get a kick out of those turkeys when they fly up into a tree and land on a branch. When I used to dirt bike in Michigan, we used to run across large "herds"of them. Had to be careful.