Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #11

gizzys what park in Montana (sounds like one to avoid) and do you have suggestions for Southern Alberta campsites? We've been to dinosaur (nice interpretive guides and museum) and to Peter Lougheed in Kananaskis).

Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Thanks Piscesman for the headsup. My wife and I love Cape Breton Island and had planned to go there and to PEI this summer. Fuel prices seem to be dropping around southern Maine ($2.75 gas and $3.05 for diesel).
My wife read on line that the Provincial parks are banning alcohol use between Friday and Mondays?? To enjoy a wee dram on the weekends are we going to have to hide in our campers?
Where would you recommend staying on PEI? Is it worth it to visit Isle De La Madelaine?
Thanks for your input
George

George....

Sorry to take so long to reply...just catching up on my reading! We just got back from one of the provincial parks in PEI...didn't even notice the drinking ban! The provincial parks are a good bet...located all over the Island, usually well-maintained, not too crowded $24.50/night. The only private park I have much experience with is Marco Polo near Cavendish...very big, well-managed, great for kids...relatively expensive. Check out this link for a Visitor's Guide to PEI Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Shoot any other questions you have my way....

P.S. I've never been to Madeline...but unless you are into bicycling, I've heard it's pretty blah... plus I hate ferry rides longer than 20 minutes!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #13

We were in Montana over the 4th and pulled into a new Safeway station in Whitefish as their first customers. Filled the all but empty RV tanks at $2.64 a gallon. Far cry better than the typical Alberta $1 a liter (almost $4 a gallon).

Came back through BC and saw signs on roadside burger/ice cream place about the new 7% tax in addition to the GST. $50 for burgers and a shared packet of fries. I wished we'd stopped for food before crossing the border. Next time.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We were in Montana over the 4th and pulled into a new Safeway station in Whitefish as their first customers. Filled the all but empty RV tanks at $2.64 a gallon. Far cry better than the typical Alberta $1 a liter (almost $4 a gallon).

Came back through BC and saw signs on roadside burger/ice cream place about the new 7% tax in addition to the GST. $50 for burgers and a shared packet of fries. I wished we'd stopped for food before crossing the border. Next time.
Not quite correct - The new HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) includes the "old" GST and the "old" PST for a new total of 12% HST on most items. Still a very unpopular tax in B.C. and the subject of a tax revolt going on, which will probably amount to absolutely nothing !!!

...VTX-AL
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesman View Post
George....

Sorry to take so long to reply...just catching up on my reading! We just got back from one of the provincial parks in PEI...didn't even notice the drinking ban! The provincial parks are a good bet...located all over the Island, usually well-maintained, not too crowded $24.50/night. The only private park I have much experience with is Marco Polo near Cavendish...very big, well-managed, great for kids...relatively expensive. Check out this link for a Visitor's Guide to PEI Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Shoot any other questions you have my way....

P.S. I've never been to Madeline...but unless you are into bicycling, I've heard it's pretty blah... plus I hate ferry rides longer than 20 minutes!
My family and I stayed in at the KOA campground. It is within a mile of Marco Polo. Pricey but nice and clean, lot's of kids activities and there is a water park, wax museum and a couple other things you can walk to from a trail in the campground.

Happy camping!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
My wife read on line that the Provincial parks are banning alcohol use between Friday and Mondays??
Are you sure? I tried checking the PEI torism sites & no mention. Google just found hits talking about Alberta & Ontario banning alcohol in certain parks on the May 2-4 weekend.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #17

I think there is confusion in some of what is being said. Ontario PP have put some alcohol restrictions in place but that has nothing to do with policies in other provinces.
As for costs, I find that PP in PEI are extremely reasonable in price. We camped at Brudenell with a pull-through site, full hook-ups including cable and paid less than $30 per night. That was about 18 months back so there may be some change. Last summer we were at Red Point again with a pull-through and three way hook-up and while I don't remember the exact cost I'm sure it was very reasonable.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
http://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
We use many State parks and find they are almost 1/2 of what we pay at Provincial campgrounds but they usually have 30 amp service as opposed to 15-20amp.
I've camped & 2 different CGs in Algonquin & 1 @ Halfway Lake prov' parks & the hydro service @ the electric sites is both 30 Amp & 15 Amp from the same "pole".

If you can list the PPs that don't have 30 Amp service, could you list them? It could help folks for trip planning.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol had one friend up from the usa. he needed gas and saw the sign and was shocked at how low it was! so he filled up his truck and was shocked that it was almost double what he pays back home. he couldnt figure out why it was so much until someone explained to him that it was price per liter and how many liters in a US gallon! lol
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #20

too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
he filled up his truck and was shocked that it was almost double what he pays back home.
If only it was $1 a gallon!

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote