Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #11

As stated do not BS the officers and answer all questions honestly. They are trained to spot a person who is trying to hide something. Always keep eye contact. If you keep looking away from the custom officer they see it as a form of guilt. Have friend who work at the border crossing, and they state that a person not making eye contact is one of the major reasons to search the vehicles. If they do enter your trailer or MH most times it is just a quick look around. They are usually checking to see if you have anyone hiding in the unit.

caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

Be sure to get an insurance coverage card from your insurance company, for both the TV and RV. Contact your insurance carrier. They will provide it free. In the off chance you have a mishap, that card will save you lots of trouble (ask me how I know!)

Also, no fire wood either way.

We take our Poodle. Our vet gave us the dog shot record, plus a color picture of the dog. Going into Canada we were asked if we had that information, we said yes, but he did not ask to see it.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

So, about the insurance card... I backed the RV into a pickup truck in a campground in Newfoundland. The truck owner got quite ugly about it, even though the damage was minor. He called the CMP, which I fully supported. When the officer arrived, I showed him the insurance card and he told the truck owner to cool his jets as he had no worries about getting his truck repaired. I guess the truck owner thought we might make a run for the border. Sure... We were a 10 hour drive from the ferry back to Nova Scotia, then the 5 hour ferry ride, and then another 6 hour drive to get to the states.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
win

: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is part of the US government's plan to strengthen border security. The WHTI affects travel to Canada in that it will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a passport to enter or re-enter the United States. Therefore, American visitors to these countries may be refused entry if they do not present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (MMD), or NEXUS Card .

Why take a chance, all im saying is get a pass port, kind of a no brainer to me
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

If you do have a pet keep their food in the original package. We were crossing into the US last year and they checked our trailer and asked about the ingredients in the dog food. I had it stored in a plastic container and wasnt sure of all the ingredients. She took pity on us and let us go but stressed that we have the original packaging. I think its lamb and rice that are a problem and are often contained in pet food.

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote