Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Site Team

US/Canada border crossing dos and don'ts?

I know there are US and Canadian websites with helpful info but do you
have any quick dos and don'ts for crossing into Canada and back?

Fer instance- can I have a few beers in the trailer? DW probably will bring
wine. Open bottle in the fridge OK? Any fruits and veggies we can or can't
bring such as
bananas
apples
potatoes
grapes
I'm guessing bagged store salad is OK?

Do we need special insurance card or papers?
We have passports even tho the websites say gov photo ID is enough.
Car/trailer registration? We carry that always anyway....

Anything else you can think of?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Welcome to Canada

You will find crossing into Canada may be a little easier than getting back into the United States. First off to get into Canada you do not need a passport but it is advised and you will definitely need it or some other form of government enhanced ID to get back.

Living in a border city we alway cross over and do shopping in the Detroit area. We bring groceries back including meats and vegetables all the time. Going into the United States they are more restrictive on these items. Beef is usually not allowed. Depending on the agent on duty they may allow it. Fruits and vegetables are allowed as long as they are a product of the United States.

Now for the important part, beer. As long as you are going to be in Canada for a period of time you are allowed (for personal consumption or a gift) one case per adult of legal drinking age (21). If you chose you may bring in a bottle of liquor instead. If you stop at the duty free store before you cross the border you can buy the beer and liquor quite a bit cheaper. We have had open bottles in the trailer when returning and just include them in the declaration to the officer. All liquor should and must be declared since they can actually impound your vehicle if they check and find you did not declare it. Even if you declare more than you are allowed the worst they can do is charge tax and duty on it.

We have crossed many times for camping going into the United States and never had a problem bringing the RV across or back. (never had to show the ownership or insurance on either side but always had it) Sometimes crossing into the United States we have been boarded and inspected but as long as you follow the rules they are pretty easy going.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

This wold make a great "Sticky" subject! Some links to Gov sites with up to date info, along with some advise from those who have done it. We hope to make a crossing in the next few years.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
win

Hello KyDan
Welcome to Canada, I hope you enjoy your vacation
You will need your pass port for sure, your food and drinks are not a big deal, if they ask tell them the truth, don't bs
Your better off coming across and buying Canadian beer anyways imho
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
win

Bottom line
Since june 2009 everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air,land and sea has needed a pass port or a NEXUS Card
Don't take a chance, you may get turned back, that would suck and spoil your vacation
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
MI Camperz

I've camped in Canada many times since I live in MI and border crossing close by. They have only once asked to see inside my trailer and they were not destructive, although they have the legal right without compensation to tear it apart limb to limb. I doubt they will for a normal looking family. I generally buy groceries (esp fresh produce and meat), alcohol on the other side since I don't want a potential complications. Bringing wine back, I declare, keep receipts, keep unopened....open intoxicants are against the law in general in MI ...unless bought at a restaurant and you're taking it home. Who needs the hassle explaining that one? Keep it simple is my best advice.
Passport a must.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

I wouldn't bring fire wood, they've ask me if I have any many times and make sure your pets shots are up to date and you have proof.

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Also note that the border has a fine collection of fire arms. Not sure of the details however if carrying rifles, and/or handguns this will likely be a issue, and if crossing it is understood they will confiscate.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Bottom line
Since june 2009 everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air,land and sea has needed a pass port or a NEXUS Card
Don't take a chance, you may get turned back, that would suck and spoil your vacation
The note below is copied directly from the Canadian government site http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html#tphp. Americans visiting Canada do not need a passport to enter Canada. The catch is when you return to the United States they require a more secure document than just a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

"When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you."

The following link is to a Canadian Government website for a PDF file that will give more information to visitors that want to enter Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5082-eng.pdf

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #10

I applied for a Passport Card
U.S. Passport Card
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

As stated do not BS the officers and answer all questions honestly. They are trained to spot a person who is trying to hide something. Always keep eye contact. If you keep looking away from the custom officer they see it as a form of guilt. Have friend who work at the border crossing, and they state that a person not making eye contact is one of the major reasons to search the vehicles. If they do enter your trailer or MH most times it is just a quick look around. They are usually checking to see if you have anyone hiding in the unit.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #12

Be sure to get an insurance coverage card from your insurance company, for both the TV and RV. Contact your insurance carrier. They will provide it free. In the off chance you have a mishap, that card will save you lots of trouble (ask me how I know!)

Also, no fire wood either way.

We take our Poodle. Our vet gave us the dog shot record, plus a color picture of the dog. Going into Canada we were asked if we had that information, we said yes, but he did not ask to see it.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

So, about the insurance card... I backed the RV into a pickup truck in a campground in Newfoundland. The truck owner got quite ugly about it, even though the damage was minor. He called the CMP, which I fully supported. When the officer arrived, I showed him the insurance card and he told the truck owner to cool his jets as he had no worries about getting his truck repaired. I guess the truck owner thought we might make a run for the border. Sure... We were a 10 hour drive from the ferry back to Nova Scotia, then the 5 hour ferry ride, and then another 6 hour drive to get to the states.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
win

: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is part of the US government's plan to strengthen border security. The WHTI affects travel to Canada in that it will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a passport to enter or re-enter the United States. Therefore, American visitors to these countries may be refused entry if they do not present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (MMD), or NEXUS Card .

Why take a chance, all im saying is get a pass port, kind of a no brainer to me
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #15

If you do have a pet keep their food in the original package. We were crossing into the US last year and they checked our trailer and asked about the ingredients in the dog food. I had it stored in a plastic container and wasnt sure of all the ingredients. She took pity on us and let us go but stressed that we have the original packaging. I think its lamb and rice that are a problem and are often contained in pet food.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote