Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Vancouver, BC, RV Camping

Hello,

I am wondering how the Trailer/RV camping is near Vancouver for all of you living in the area. Looking at the BC parks website, there seems to be only a handful of parks within a couple hours drive from Vancouver. Are there other conservation areas, or privite campgrounds with natural settings? Just trying to determine how the trailer camping is out there for selection, availability, etc.

Comparing to Southwest Ontario, where I live now, there are numerous provincial parks in all directions, and conservation areas everywhere.

Thanks in advance
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

google BC Camping.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

I've done that. I am interested in hearing some local feedback.

Are these parks readily availble assuming you reserve, or are they still very hard to get into if you don't reserve the 1st second they are open to reservations (3 months in advance I believe for BC parks). Let's say it's a wednesday afternoon in July and you decide to go camping on the comming weekend. Will you have any hope of finding a camping spot anywhere within a reasonable drive?

Are there alternative to the provincial parks that have a natural setting? Or perhaps it's popular to go stateside?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
(Kim)

Hi!!
I used to live in Vancouver a very long time ago LOL.
But I did alot of camping around there.
You should try Squamish BC, it is about 60km north of Vancouver, along the sea to sky highway, which in itself is a fabulous drive =] (absolutely beautiful!!!!)
It is a popular destination for rock-climbing and wind-surfing (because it is in a bay), as well as hiking, mountain biking etc....
Also, you will pass by Horseshoe Bay (Nanaimo) which has the ferry to Vancouver Island (which also has awesome camping!!!)
I am almost positive that all the provincial parks there have non-reservable sites, for the first come first served.
It is a spectacular part of the country, and just thinking of it makes me want to do a cross-country trip to go camping there =]
Squamish is also on the way to Whistler, so there are lots of options for you if you want a multi-destination trip all within close distances.
As for going states-side, there also is numerous campgrounds in Washington that are rustic, and do have sites available, but I would check-out Squamish first!!!!

Kim
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
I've done that. I am interested in hearing some local feedback.

Are these parks readily availble assuming you reserve, or are they still very hard to get into if you don't reserve the 1st second they are open to reservations (3 months in advance I believe for BC parks). Let's say it's a wednesday afternoon in July and you decide to go camping on the comming weekend. Will you have any hope of finding a camping spot anywhere within a reasonable drive?

Are there alternative to the provincial parks that have a natural setting? Or perhaps it's popular to go stateside?
OK then.... chances are, you might be out of luck, particularly at the more popular provincial campgrounds - say like at Cultus Lake, for example. You might have some luck at places like Golden Ears or Rolley Lake Provincial Parks on a first-come, first-served basis but you certainly can't count on it for sure. A certain percentage of the sites in the provincial parks is on this basis only but generally fill up fast. For the commercial campgrounds you can always phone around until you find one with available spaces. One of our favorite local commercial campgrounds with reasonable access to Vancouver is at Fort Langley Fort Camping in Fort Langley, BC, Brae Island Regional Park . Good luck.

...VTX-Al
Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #6

Thanks Labzy and VTX-AI. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I'm asking becasue my wife and I are considering moving to Vancouver. This came up relatively suddenly as an opportunity presented itself to me that is hard to pass down. As we enjoy our camping so much, I know BC will be lovely, but if it is not accessible it would be dissapointing. That said, it does sound like there are options. And if I'm on top of our ressies at least some of the time we should have a great time.

We just purchased a new surveyor TT (our first TT, coming from a PUP), ordered it before knowing about this possible move, and we may litterally use it for the first time moving out there (if I take the job). I just don't know yet. So we will be new to TT camping as well as new to the area.

Regarding the popular parks - is it relatively easy to get a ressie if you reserve the full 3 months on advance, or is it still difficult in the summer?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Labzy and VTX-AI. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I'm asking becasue my wife and I are considering moving to Vancouver. This came up relatively suddenly as an opportunity presented itself to me that is hard to pass down. As we enjoy our camping so much, I know BC will be lovely, but if it is not accessible it would be dissapointing. That said, it does sound like there are options. And if I'm on top of our ressies at least some of the time we should have a great time.

We just purchased a new surveyor TT (our first TT, coming from a PUP), ordered it before knowing about this possible move, and we may litterally use it for the first time moving out there (if I take the job). I just don't know yet. So we will be new to TT camping as well as new to the area.

Regarding the popular parks - is it relatively easy to get a ressie if you reserve the full 3 months on advance, or is it still difficult in the summer?
If you can plan far enough ahead there is usually no problem, especially if you can be flexible on your dates. That being said, if you want a summer holiday long weekend reservation, be prepared to be on your computer when the bell rings on the 3 month date

...VTX-AL
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
If you can plan far enough ahead there is usually no problem, especially if you can be flexible on your dates. That being said, if you want a summer holiday long weekend reservation, be prepared to be on your computer when the bell rings on the 3 month date

...VTX-AL
The same here in Ontario. There are quite a few people who abuse the system too by reserving the maximum duration (2 weeks?) so that they can get a site for a weekend, and later cancel it all except the last few days. That does open up a lot of cancellations, so you can generally get a site somewhere as long as you keep searching long enough.

Ontario Parks you can reserve 5 months in advance. I like the sound of the 3 months for BC parks.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
(Kim)

Wow.....Vancouver!!!
That would be very nice indeed =]
Kinda funny thing about Vancouver though.....a vast majority of people who live there, came from somewhere else; to find a local who was born and raised in Vancouver, is hard to do.
Btw.....
My concern would be not where you can camp, but where you could store your trailer unless you are moving somewhere outside of Vancouver .......
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Btw.....
My concern would be not where you can camp, but where you could store your trailer unless you are moving somewhere outside of Vancouver .......
Yes, this another concern of mine. We're thinking of living in the tri-cities area right now, and I've already been told there are waiting lists at the very few storage facilities there. But where there's a will there's a way. When we buy a house there we hope to store on our own property. In the interim we may have to store away from the city. I'm sure we'll figure out something, but I am aware of this potential logistical issue.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Hi!!
I used to live in Vancouver a very long time ago LOL.
But I did alot of camping around there.
You should try Squamish BC, it is about 60km north of Vancouver, along the sea to sky highway, which in itself is a fabulous drive =] (absolutely beautiful!!!!)
It is a popular destination for rock-climbing and wind-surfing (because it is in a bay), as well as hiking, mountain biking etc....
Also, you will pass by Horseshoe Bay (Nanaimo) which has the ferry to Vancouver Island (which also has awesome camping!!!)
I am almost positive that all the provincial parks there have non-reservable sites, for the first come first served.
It is a spectacular part of the country, and just thinking of it makes me want to do a cross-country trip to go camping there =]
Squamish is also on the way to Whistler, so there are lots of options for you if you want a multi-destination trip all within close distances.
As for going states-side, there also is numerous campgrounds in Washington that are rustic, and do have sites available, but I would check-out Squamish first!!!!

Kim
A number of years ago we stayed in Sqamish for a couple of nights in a private campground, very nice , almost right on the highway and there was a waterfall across the road, can't think of the name.

Also, in Richmond BC there was a campgroung not too far from the dike but again that was years ago, no idea wether it's still there or not.

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #12

Richmond Site Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog View Post
A number of years ago we stayed in Sqamish for a couple of nights in a private campground, very nice , almost right on the highway and there was a waterfall across the road, can't think of the name.

Also, in Richmond BC there was a campgroung not too far from the dike but again that was years ago, no idea wether it's still there or not.

The site near the river is now gone and replaced with the Olympic Skating Rink.

Here is a good resource for camping in BC.

Camping & RV In British Columbia - Go Where Your Spirit Takes You

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies. Ready or not here I come! I signed the job offer in Vancouver today!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

Guess your Ontario camping buddies were not good enough for you

I am just kidding ... I hope you will have a lot of VERY happy camping days in BC ! You gave us a reason to make the drive there one day

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Ready or not here I come! I signed the job offer in Vancouver today!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
(Kim)

Quote:
Congratulations on the job!!!!!!

You will love it there!!!!

Im totally jealous
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #16

If you're looking at the Tri-Cities you should be OK for storing your trailer on your driveway.

I'm in Pitt Meadows and there is no bylaw against it.
Coquitlam has a maximum length allowed - 28ft I believe.
Port Coquitlam - not sure.
Port Moody - well, if you can afford to live there then storing off-property shouldn't be a concern

Have your realtor get the facts for you 'cause most storage "facilities" are out in the Fraser Valley area (Aldergrove/Abbotsford) and amount to a farmer's field.

Cheers, and welcome to the "Left Coast."

Mike....born and raised in the Vancouver area.
puckdad is offline   Reply With Quote