Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Vancouver Island vs. Mainland BC

Hi
We are planning a trip this Sept and Oct to either Vancouver Island or mainland BC, in our Coachmen Prism MH.
We will take our kayak, bikes and hiking boots.
Has anyone done one or both of this trips?
If so, which would you choose? Any tips along the way, or any other useful information?
Weather?
Thanks!
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

We are currently in Osoyoos and it is sunny 34 celcius, heading to the beach. The coast is fine but different weather, just depends what you like.
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

I live in Penticton, and September is my favorite month here, hands down. The summer tourist season has wound down, the temperatures are far more manageable for people, and their is still a ton of stuff to see and do.

We have looked at heading over to Vancouver Island for our summer vacation on a number of occasions, and every time I think of the fleecing that BC Ferries would throw my way, I just can't justify it. For the past few years, we have made the decision to head to the Oregon coast for our summer holidays. Two weeks at a State Park pretty much costs less than the 2 ferry trips required to get to and get off Vancouver Island. Just my humble .02. Come to the sunny Okanagan if you wish, we will treat you well and throw great weather in your face. If it's a coastal holiday you want, take a serious look at the extra day;s drive to get to the Oregon Coast.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.
The ferries are expensive, but I'll only have to take one (Port Angeles to Victoria).
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

jeffrapp- we also have a Prism MH (24J)- Was wondering how you handle the kayak? on a trailer?
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Hi
We have a tow vehicle, a Honda fit. We put the kayak in a rack on top. We also have a bike rack on the rear, and use the fit for a lot of stuff that doesn't fit well into the Prism.
We take a couple of 2 month trips a year, and this works for us and one little dog.
We really like the Prism (ours is a 24G with the rear bedroom slide out.)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Hi,

We went from Montreal to Tofino (Vancouver Island) and back last year. The area around Tofino is spectacular, as is most of BC.

BC ferries has off peak rates and you should check them out. We canceled our return reservation to take advantage of the lower rate. It worked out well.

We also stopped in Penticton for a few days on the return trip, one of my favorite places. I've been there several times. Good wine, weather, fruit, warm lakes, and nice scenery.

If you go to the Island, then you have to go to Tofino. There is a fabulous campground with cabins, Crystal Cove Beach Resort, just before arriving in Tofino. We spent 10 days there. The area, especially Pacific Rim National Park, is great to visit.

Enjoy your trip wherever you go!
2019: 40 2020:14 2021:0

Setups: 105 (including 20 at home)
John & Nathalie & Bernadette (the dog)
browj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Thanks for the info.
The ferries are expensive, but I'll only have to take one (Port Angeles to Victoria).
But you have to come back. From our perspective, either will be a great trip for you. Victoria and Vancouver Island are beautiful and there are lots of places to bike and kayak. Taking either the Anacortes ferry or one of the BC ferries one way will be much more scenic and possibly a little cheaper.

BC mainland has a lot of attraction as well. Vancouver is a wonderful city with some great bike trails but in only a few miles north or east, you are in wilderness, farmland, etc. Again, very scenic with lots of areas to camp and things to see.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the great advice!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

I live on Vancouver Island and camp many places on the island most of the year.
Send me a PM.

John
Old 09-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a private message (I think-never tried it before). Did u get it?