Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Verizon Jetpack use in Alberta, BC, and Yukon?

Last year we went to the Gaspe Peninsula from Vermont and then across Ontario to Sault St. Marie. During that three weeks neither my Verizon phone nor Jetpack worked at all. The screen simply said "Rodgers" and indicated I had no service. Fortunately we had some fuel money that we changed at a bank since I couldn't get on my bank site to transfer money to the ATM account. Bummer of an experience.
Next year we would like to go back to Alaska but we need a lot better info than we got last year from Verizon. They told me in Vermont that I was covered in Canada on my plan and everything should be fine but since they were in northern Vermont I know they were aware that their phones didn't work a few miles away.
If someone on here has a Jetpack and has used it for internet service in Alberta, BC, or Yukon I would appreciate knowing. I don't care about coverage but want to know if it works at all. This time I won't trust Verizon to give me a straight answer.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Just asking....

Could you have stopped at a Verizon Store up there (I'm sure they have them in Canada) to get this issue resolved or at least pay extra for service up there?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #3

In 2016 I upgraded my Verizon plan to include Canadian travel. As I was approaching the Sweetgrass/Couts border station my phone went off with a text message in forming me that my plan was starting. I used it all the way up the line wherever I could get cell service.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Blackrock
Did you have data service as well?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #5

Verizon isn't a Canadian cell phone provider so you won't get a Verizon signal up here. However, they will have agreements with Canadian cell phone services to provide coverage while travelling through Canada. Your data for the Jetpack comes through your cell phone signal. It may be that last year the upgrade they provided for you only covered cell phone and text message connection, not data as that tends to be very expensive while roaming through a foreign country.

I live in AB and have Rogers and Telus cell phones (one is a work phone). When I travel to the US both phones offer me a variety of US service providers such as AT&T, Verizon or T Mobile, etc. for my Canadian phone to connect to.

The downside being that it costs significantly more than my usual cell and data bundle. If I recall correctly, this year my daily US roaming charges cost me an additional $7 Cdn per day for about the first 10 days of use outside of Canada. I'm pretty sure your Verizon provider will charge a fee similar but priced in U$ while you're roaming through Canada.

Something you will need to check is the coverage maps. Communities are a little more widely dispersed and mountains tend to be an obstruction for cell signals. If you are away from major population areas you may not have a signal.

Oh, and "Welcome to Canada".

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
Blackrock
Did you have data service as well?
Thanks
I was able to use my Android phone as a hotspot in a lot of places. If once you make a call or connection the daily charge kicks in but if you don't use the phone that day then no charge.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

T mobile

T mobile works in Canada
throttled back at 10 gig.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

We used Verizon Mifi Jetpack through AB, Yukon, AK and BC last year. Without unlimited data plan, charge is $2.00 daily, when used, but service mostly through Rogers.We have unlimited plan so no $2.00 charge. Service is spotty and in many places non-existent. Most small towns have cell service. Service was mostly satisfactory for our needs. We carried a SPOT for emergencies when in remote (out of service) areas.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #9

Is it possible you don’t have a phone capable of international service or you have it set for domestic carriers only? Once you get a few miles across the border you’re going to connecting to a foreign carrier. Even though Verizon has an agreement with that carrier, your phone still won’t connect if it isn’t set up for international service. I had no problem with service in Canada but data was limited to 500 mb per day and 3g speed. Service is spotty outside population centers.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Global Nomad

I just came back from Western Canada and Alaska. I use my iPhone as a hotspot. I found I needed to upgrade to Verizon unlimited plan, which cost me $105.00 a month with unlimited everything and worked both in Canada and Alaska. When I needed to use my computer, which was everyday since I write a blog, the Verizon hotspot phone worked fine. When I got back to the lower 48, went back to my 5 gig plan.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #11

We went last year and had Verizon and had no problems. I changed plans and now I’m limited to 500 mb a day. I have beyond unlimited, with three iPhones a Jetpack and a iPad it is not cheap.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We went last year and had Verizon and had no problems. I changed plans and now I’m limited to 500 mb a day. I have beyond unlimited, with three iPhones a Jetpack and a iPad it is not cheap.
Why not dump the jetpack and use your iPhone as a hotspot. No additional charges?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #13

We are full-timers, and travel extensively throughout the US and Canada with our rig. While Verizon Jetpack works reasonably well throughout the US, it does not provide service in Canada.

To avoid costly international rate structures, we simplified our lives by by subscribing to a Roger hotspot. There was no charge for the hotspot device (virtually identical to the Jetpack) if we agreed to pay a minimum monthly amount (cdn$5/month - US$3.85). When we are in Canada, we pay whatever rates Rogers charges for our usage. When we have no usage charges (for example when we are back in the US, we pay US$3.85.

Simple - no worries, no hassles.
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Why not dump the jetpack and use your iPhone as a hotspot. No additional charges?
The MiFi unit is much better and faster internet with desktops and laptops than using the phone (Moto Z2 Play) as a hotspot...

I'm on my desktop right now connected to the MiFi and I don't switch to the phone hotpot until the MiFi reaches the 15GB slowdown (ie.- throttle down).

Then I still have up to 22GB total using the phone hotspot before throttle down, but is slower than the MiFi was, yet when I hit 22GB on the phone hotspot it's throttle down is faster than the MiFi throttle down is...if that makes any sense.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #15

Do yourself a favor and either go into Verizon or investigate it yourself. There are several options on getting service in Canada. Some are expensive and some are not.

Also depends on how long you will be there. If only a short time, the daily fee is easy and affordable. As soon as you cross the border you will get a text asking if you want it. That is what we do when we are there for a week or two.

Otherwise get one of the more permanent solutions.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #16

Phone in Canada

We went to Canada 2 years ago. At that time Verizon had an international plan for $5/day for one device and a small amount of data. Don't remember how much we got. It worked out fine for us as we only used the phone when we really needed it. Did get internet to pay bills and used it for Google Maps.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #17

Since we have unlimited plan international is included. I looked all through settings and couldn't find anything for setting int'l vs domestic only. Some folks jetpacks work up there and some don't according to the replies. So if we get up there next year we will have to see. Good suggestions to forget the jetpack and use the phone as a hotspot since we would be using very limited data but our jetpack has much better reception and works many times when the phone doesn't.
Thanks for the replies.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
Old 10-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

I went to the verizon store and let them know were were going to Canada. Paid maybe $30 and had full phone and jetpack use for the month when in Canada.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post

I have a two year contact on that Jetpack
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I own a Jetpack and it does not work in Canada unless the cell type is changed. Try 3G service profile. LTE will not work as the RF frequency band for LTE is not available in Canada.

I live in Canada and use Rogers. Last time we went to Indiana I uses the Goshen fairgrounds internet and did not bother with Verizon at all.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote