Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Visiting Maritime Provinces

We are discussing leaving from the FROG Rally and going up into Eastern Canada. Now, never driving my Motorhome into Canada, I have some questions.

I don't speak a lick of French and I understand the road signs are French. Is that a problem?

Any suggestions for the border crossing with a MH? Will probably cross South of Montreal as DW wants to see that city;

Other than the Bay Of Fundy (my bucket list item), are there any other "must see" places.

Suggested routes?

Any other suggestions or advice is welcomed.

And, of course the dumb question. If we stay into September, will the trees be changing? I know in Kentucky, that starts in early Oct.

Thanks

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

The road signs in the Province of Quebec, only, are unilingual in French. Other provinces, they are either bilingual or English. We use the metric system so adjust your speed to km/hr. The whole Atlantic province region is a "must see". depending on your preferences, too much to list. A trip to eastern Canada is incomplete unless you visit Newfoundland. They would require a 7 -16 hour ferry ride depending on what route you take. You'll need 2 - 3 weeks in Newfoundland alone to discover what it has to offer. The other 3 Atlantic provinces, (PEI, NB and NS) are beautiful as well, but doesn't offer the uniqueness of Newfoundland and its great tourist attraction, the people. Another FRF member IGGY done the route last year. I'm sure he will be glad to share his experiences.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

I think I have seen some signs in Quebec that are bilingual. Here is a link that might help.
(http://testdeconnaissances.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/)
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

Coming to the East Coast...come to the Jewel in the Crown...PEI

If you do come to the East please make the trip over the Confederation Bridge to PEI. Best time to come is in mid July to mid August for usually the best summer weather. Lots of Shellfish and Seafood available if you are a lover of that too...if you do I would suggest travelling the coastal routes which usually keeps you in view of the water. Lots of info here to check it out beforehand...
Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

I travel Quebec often and as long as you have a good GPS you should have a great time.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

I would suggest Twin Shores Campground in PEI , walking the tidal flats at Alma in Fundy National is always fun. Hopewell Rocks are another must see to appricate the size of the tides
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

You should be able to set your GPS to metric so it is easy to see your speed in KPH not MPH. Also, I too recommend a visit to Newfoundland, but be prepared for the cost of the ferry over and back- not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Nord
Sud
Est
Ouest

Thats all you need to find the right way. Stay south of Montreal as the roads go all directions and can be confusing seeing traffic going past you on the left and right going the opposite way.
Before you get to Quebec lots to see in Ontario as well. Ottawa our Nations Capital is a must see, Ottawa Municipal campground is also a nice place to stay close to the city.
Thousand Islands Pkwy, Lots of camping along the St. Lawrence as well.
Have a goof trip and don't take you weapons or they will turn you away.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #9

Road signs and French is not a problem, 99% of French Canadians are good honest hard working people that want a good life, typically it is the minority that you hear about in the media. If you are between Quebec City and Rimouskie, the French is a little stronger.

Montreal is a major metro centre, stay on the south side if travelling through. Are you pulling a toad, going downtown Montreal with a MH could be entertaining, inner city the streets are more narrow due to the historic landmarks. Summer equals road work same as in going through Toronto...expect delays and probably detours.

Bay of Fundy is a sight, travel the "Lighthouse route". Cabot Trail up North in Cape Breton is a sight for the fall, looking at late Sep and Oct, you can start the trail from the Bras Dor Lake area.

My friend...there are no dumb questions when seeking advice when visiting another country, the beauty of this forum is getting practical advise!

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Lots to see in Maritimes.

St Andrews by the Sea in New Brunswick, Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping. Tidal bore in Saint John.

Another vote for Twin Shores PEI, and also Cavendish Beach PEI. Looking at lighthouses and fishing villages is always great in PEI. The lobster church supper is a must do.

For sure the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.

Newfoundland is really pretty, Twillingate for the whales, Gros Morn National Park, L'Anse aux Meadows for the first Viking settlement. Icebergs in June if you are near St John's or the north coast.

Have a safe trip!

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

So many nice places to visit in Atlantic Canada. I am in Cape Breton - the Cabot Trail is beautiful - Broad Cove campground in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park is a nice one, clean, good sized sites. We go every year to PEI and spend a week there at New Glasgow Highlands Campground, our favourite. Gros Morne National Park is beautiful over in Newfoundland. You won't be sorry making the trip.
edthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #12

edthecat, we are leaving for the east coast this week and will be in Louisburg, NS on Thursday, any recommendation on a CG for Thursday night? We are on the 17:30 Ferry out of North Sydney on Friday.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #13

Well, Louisbourg isn't terribly far from the ferry, about an hour. Point of view campground is pretty nice there. That would be my pick. i have heard about people doing the beggar's banquet. they liked it...i think you dress up in period costumes like the people at the fortress do is the impression i got. i put a link to rv park review's reviews of it.

Point of View RV Park - Louisbourg, NS - RV Park Reviews
edthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Closest cg to ferry is Arm Of Gold.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

Newfoundland Go east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
The road signs in the Province of Quebec, only, are unilingual in French. Other provinces, they are either bilingual or English. We use the metric system so adjust your speed to km/hr. The whole Atlantic province region is a "must see". depending on your preferences, too much to list. A trip to eastern Canada is incomplete unless you visit Newfoundland. They would require a 7 -16 hour ferry ride depending on what route you take. You'll need 2 - 3 weeks in Newfoundland alone to discover what it has to offer. The other 3 Atlantic provinces, (PEI, NB and NS) are beautiful as well, but doesn't offer the uniqueness of Newfoundland and its great tourist attraction, the people. Another FRF member IGGY done the route last year. I'm sure he will be glad to share his experiences.
This province is something to see. You will be amaze it is a WOW. Pictures do not justify the beauty of it all. Yes you should plan 3 weeks the list is to long ect. Make your ferry reservation well in advance . We are now on hour 2 ND week started from North Sydney 17 HR crossing via Argentia. Started in ST John's.work are way across to ......ST ANTHONY TO VISIT THE VIKINGS.then back to PORT AUX BACK ( FERRY) 7 hr crossing. Well worth it.
Hurricaneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #16

This summer was our 6th trip to Newfoundland. Every year we see new and interesting things. A stop in the Tableland is a must if you are doing Gross Morne. JT CheesemanProv Park is an excellant 1st or last night stop. Be sure to walk the Smokey Trail and check out the 2 waterfalls in the park
Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #17
H3N

We're heading out to Newfoundland in Sept. Any tips for the ferry? Do you prefer a cabin or the lounge seats for the 6 (+/-) hour trip? We have 4 adults (2 mobility impaired) and one old cat, who is happy to hang out alone in the FR3.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #18

If you are taking the 23:45 ferry then I recommend a 4 beth cabin keep in mind they are bunk beds a 2 x 2 beth may be better for your party . During the day the general lounge is fine. Taking the 23:45 and taking a berth allows you to start the day running when you arrive in Nfld. My wife does find the cabin claustrophobic and the walls are very thin.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #19

Great time of year to visit "The Rock". You will be impressed. When you reserve the North Sydney to Port aux Basques ferry, let them know you have people with mobility issues.

Agreed- if taking the night crossing then get a cabin (they do book up fast), if a day crossing then no reason to grab room unless 1 of your group needs to lay down due to the motion of the ocean.

Don't forget if you like dry camping then Newfoundlanders are infamous for river camping. As you drive around the province you will see shores along rivers near the highway. They often pull in there for the night or the weekend (or the summer). Lots of gravel pits too LoL

Cell coverage along the hwy is ok.. fe spots here and there where it can be spotty. Telus/Bell are the best- Rogers is only decent on the Avalon pennisula

Weather can be iffy.. brings some warmer gear just in case.
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

Bend302- There is a good chance you will see some leaves changing in SEP- it can vary depending where you go.
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote