Old 05-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Visiting Maritime Provinces

We are discussing leaving from the FROG Rally and going up into Eastern Canada. Now, never driving my Motorhome into Canada, I have some questions.

I don't speak a lick of French and I understand the road signs are French. Is that a problem?

Any suggestions for the border crossing with a MH? Will probably cross South of Montreal as DW wants to see that city;

Other than the Bay Of Fundy (my bucket list item), are there any other "must see" places.

Suggested routes?

Any other suggestions or advice is welcomed.

And, of course the dumb question. If we stay into September, will the trees be changing? I know in Kentucky, that starts in early Oct.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
The road signs in the Province of Quebec, only, are unilingual in French. Other provinces, they are either bilingual or English. We use the metric system so adjust your speed to km/hr. The whole Atlantic province region is a "must see". depending on your preferences, too much to list. A trip to eastern Canada is incomplete unless you visit Newfoundland. They would require a 7 -16 hour ferry ride depending on what route you take. You'll need 2 - 3 weeks in Newfoundland alone to discover what it has to offer. The other 3 Atlantic provinces, (PEI, NB and NS) are beautiful as well, but doesn't offer the uniqueness of Newfoundland and its great tourist attraction, the people. Another FRF member IGGY done the route last year. I'm sure he will be glad to share his experiences.

Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
I think I have seen some signs in Quebec that are bilingual. Here is a link that might help.
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Coming to the East Coast...come to the Jewel in the Crown...PEI

If you do come to the East please make the trip over the Confederation Bridge to PEI. Best time to come is in mid July to mid August for usually the best summer weather. Lots of Shellfish and Seafood available if you are a lover of that too...if you do I would suggest travelling the coastal routes which usually keeps you in view of the water. Lots of info here to check it out beforehand...
Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
I travel Quebec often and as long as you have a good GPS you should have a great time.
Ron & Jan and black dog(Bella)
2011 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4, 6sp manual,342's 8ft.bed
2014 CC Silverback 29ik
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
I would suggest Twin Shores Campground in PEI , walking the tidal flats at Alma in Fundy National is always fun. Hopewell Rocks are another must see to appricate the size of the tides
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
You should be able to set your GPS to metric so it is easy to see your speed in KPH not MPH. Also, I too recommend a visit to Newfoundland, but be prepared for the cost of the ferry over and back- not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Thats all you need to find the right way. Stay south of Montreal as the roads go all directions and can be confusing seeing traffic going past you on the left and right going the opposite way.
Before you get to Quebec lots to see in Ontario as well. Ottawa our Nations Capital is a must see, Ottawa Municipal campground is also a nice place to stay close to the city.
Thousand Islands Pkwy, Lots of camping along the St. Lawrence as well.
Have a goof trip and don't take you weapons or they will turn you away.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Road signs and French is not a problem, 99% of French Canadians are good honest hard working people that want a good life, typically it is the minority that you hear about in the media. If you are between Quebec City and Rimouskie, the French is a little stronger.

Montreal is a major metro centre, stay on the south side if travelling through. Are you pulling a toad, going downtown Montreal with a MH could be entertaining, inner city the streets are more narrow due to the historic landmarks. Summer equals road work same as in going through Toronto...expect delays and probably detours.

Bay of Fundy is a sight, travel the "Lighthouse route". Cabot Trail up North in Cape Breton is a sight for the fall, looking at late Sep and Oct, you can start the trail from the Bras Dor Lake area.

My friend...there are no dumb questions when seeking advice when visiting another country, the beauty of this forum is getting practical advise!

2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Lots to see in Maritimes.

St Andrews by the Sea in New Brunswick, Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping. Tidal bore in Saint John.

Another vote for Twin Shores PEI, and also Cavendish Beach PEI. Looking at lighthouses and fishing villages is always great in PEI. The lobster church supper is a must do.

For sure the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.

Newfoundland is really pretty, Twillingate for the whales, Gros Morn National Park, L'Anse aux Meadows for the first Viking settlement. Icebergs in June if you are near St John's or the north coast.

Have a safe trip!

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote