Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Your best Travel Trailer choice for for TV with max towing capacity of 3,500 Lbs

Hi there,

The title says it all. You best pick with the biggest pro and the biggest con.

I am looking forward to discover more TT that are not easy to find on the internet and learn from your own experience!

Jeppo

Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
CampingQueen

We started with a vehicle with a 3500 rating with a popup camper. Frankly we had a bigger popup than we really should have, considering that the tow rating of a vehicle is based on only one passenger and no cargo in the vehicle. For the weight, we definately got the most features/size/space from the highwall popup.

Also, the popups have a low height which makes them, lb for lb, easier to tow than a traditional TT. We have a family of 6 and needed all the room we could squeeze in.

We had a flagstaff HW27SC. Slept all of us pretty comfortably, and big bonus of the Highwall vs the traditional Popup is that it also had a 'real' toilet with black tank, not just a cassette. It also had a nice slide out with the dinette that helped make a lot more room to move.

Now, the caveat... if you think you will really get into this camping thing, then you may as well wait until you can upgrade your tow vehicle and just jump right into a larger TT unit. Popups are fine for the occasional camper, but it wasn't long before we figured out we would be happier with less popping up and down and more storage space. About 5 months after we got the popup, I traded in the van for an expedition, and needless to say the next upgrade was to trade in the popup for a 'real' Travel Trailer.

In hindsight, it was a good way to ease into camping, as my husband was not as excited about camping as I was, as he had some not-so-great experiences with backed up toilets, etc as a kid. I don't really regret starting small and trading up, but would have saved us a lot of $$ if we had just started by getting a larger tow vehicle and traditional TT in the first place.

2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

An R-pod may be another good choice especially if you want something with a better bathroom and kitchen space than a popup. Look up the specs on the Forest River factory website.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
CampingQueen

Ditto to wincrasher's suggestion.

When we were shopping for our last TT, I spend a LOOOT of time on the forest river, inc website looking at floor plans.

Then when I found one I liked, I'd google the model number and see if I could find a dealer website that had pictures of the interior, etc of the actual unit. That definately helped us narrow down our choices.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest a small folding camper. A conventional upright will tax the engine on many of the vehicles that have a 3500 lb. towing capacity.

A small pop-up, or 1 of the smaller A-frames. Depending on how many passengers and what extra cargo is in the tow vehicle, you will probably need to keep the trailer weight under 3000 lbs., ready to camp.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

travel trailer

Get a Casita. They are made in Texas, and you purchase at the factory. The walk around takes 1.5 hours. They are easy to tow with a half ton pick up, and are no wider than the half ton pick up. No tow mirrors needed.

Down side, they can sleep 2 comfortable, 3 on the dinette table when it is made up. The trailer is fiberglass.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Actually, it should be coming into a good time to buy an entry level family type camper - summer is officially over and you may catch a deal on something left over from the season. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

nearly every full-height TT/HTT that has a GVWR of 3500 or less, has extremely low cargo capacities.
the manufacturers draw customers in with the 3500 number, hoping that they don't look at the CCC number. and they don't tell them that the weights of so-called "options" also have to be added into the CCC, therefore lowering it even more. things like: awning, oven, microwave, spare tire, battery and so on.

just a warning, look at the CCC numbers and hitch weight of trailers in this weight category.
you won't be happy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
nearly every full-height TT/HTT that has a GVWR of 3500 or less, has extremely low cargo capacities.
the manufacturers draw customers in with the 3500 number, hoping that they don't look at the CCC number. and they don't tell them that the weights of so-called "options" also have to be added into the CCC, therefore lowering it even more. things like: awning, oven, microwave, spare tire, battery and so on.

just a warning, look at the CCC numbers and hitch weight of trailers in this weight category.
you won't be happy.
What are you talking about?

Check out these specs on the r-pods. - they weigh around 2000 with cargo capacity of around 1000lbs. Hitch weight around 200lbs.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/LiteTr...specifications

That's alot of stuff to put in a little trailer! And a good choice in what the OP is asking about.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
What are you talking about?

Check out these specs on the r-pods. - they weigh around 2000 with cargo capacity of around 1000lbs. Hitch weight around 200lbs.

r-pod Lite Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River

That's alot of stuff to put in a little trailer! And a good choice in what the OP is asking about.
i guess you didn't completely read my post above yours:
nearly every full-height TT/HTT

unless you are considering the egg-shaped R-pod, a full-height TT.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags