Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Question 2006 Lexington 283 GTS Satellite & Cable setup

Anyone have knowledge on setting up satellite and cable TV connections on a 06 283 GTS. I have a Satellite controller (King Dome) and input cable. There is a AV wall terminal with an A-B switch I think is for the SAT receiver. There is a Cable input at the AC power input location and a Wineguard wall plate with power switch for TV antenna by the Front TV. There is one Antenna Cable coming from the wall that plugs into WHAT? Also there is a Concertone RV 2004D stereo with DVD and TV tuner that plays thru the Component 2 input to the TV. I am aware the TV and Antenna are useless because they are not HD.

Anyone out there who can tell me how to set it up for Cable and Satellite (Direct TV) only?

Thanks, Larry
lehegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

I hope you have better luck with this than I have had with same set up.... Is your king dome manual or automatic... Auto I hope because manual absolutely sucks..... More trouble than it's worth.... I'm going to buy the new portable auto unit for about $700 bucks and skip the headache.... Simple hookup too....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

My King Dome is a "Auto Scan", from the book it is clearly not automatic. You have to enter a ZIP code with the wired hand unit and adjust it. I had an older Wineguard on my last rig that would find the satellite by itself because it had a GPS built in. What I really need to know if you have the Concertone DVD Stereo setup, is how you feed the satellite receiver output to your TV. I have a Sanyo TV and the Concertone is connected to the Component 2 input of the TV.

Regards, Larry
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

I'm assuming you're using Dish or Direct as your provider... If so, you should have two coaxial cables in cabinet.... One is output the other input... Connect them to corresponding connections on back of provider box and it should work.... I have the exact same setup and I hate it.... Just takes entirely too much time and effort. Hopefully you will have better luck... As I said earlier, I'm replacing it with the new portable FULLY AUTOMATIC one... Just turn on the box and it does everything for you... Added bonus: can relocate it if Motorhome is under trees.. Don't have to dance with the Motorhome trying to get a clear signal...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Is this the orginal TV from 2006? What brand is it?

Typically, you would run the satellite to the TV an dthen run the TV Audio Output to the Concertone.

Your system is 5 plus years old so the connection options will play a vital role in understanding not only "how" but "if"...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #6

The TV is the original Sanyo. I am using a Direct TV receiver that only has audio, video and component outputs. There is a wall plate in the compartment with RCA inputs. I am going to get my motor home cooled down and try to figure it out. The King Dome Auto Scan instructions are not to clear but I believe when they say go to the signal strength screen first and enter the ZIP code (to adjust the up down angle) they are talking about the Direct TV receiver setup screens. Once that is done you start the antenna searching in a circle until it finds the satellite. The motor home only has 11000 miles and none of this stuff has ever been used.

Thanks for the help,
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
all the setuo info for the satellite is outta my category - once you fiigure that out we can figure how to get the sound through the Concertone!

Good luck!
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

I was in contact with King Dome Tech support today and I am doing everything right but , still no signal. I took the cover off the dome and it looks new inside and everything is working. I think the problem is with the DIRECT TV setup steps the first being finding a signal and checking the dish. The Direct TV receiver can’t find the signal because King Dome hasn’t got to that step yet so everything is stuck.
I have ordered a cheap signal meter to see if the KingDome is working at all thinking I might be able to adjust the King Dome first with the meter. It will be next week before it gets here.

Bob: The Concertone plays sound with DVD’s and should work with a Satellite receiver if you use the Audio Video RCA cables to your TV from the SAT Receiver instead of a antenna coax to channel 3 or 4. To get the sound thru the Concertone use it’s AUX inputs while sending the Video to the TV.
On my 06 Lexington there is a Audio Video RCA panel in the compartment next to the Wineguard antenna walplate. With the access cover removed on the lower left of the back of the Concertone there is a wire with 2 RCA female connectors at the end, this is the AUX input. If you have the same setup and the book there is a diagram on page 35.
You would then turn the satellite and set the TV to Video 2 and the Concertone to AUX.
This would not work for over the air or cable TV unless you have a TV with Audio outputs, my original Sanyo TV does not have them.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

You might want to check the coax cables, I had to reinstall both connectors on my 325GTS (I was setting up to use a Dish500 on a tripod because the King Dome will only hit one sat. at a time) and the coax from the cable hookup to the Ant. /Cable switch had no continuity to the shielding. It wouldn't pass the 12V feed to the LNB. After repairing this and re-mounting light fixtures screwed to 1/8' paneling and various other instances of poor workmanship, I have come to the conclusion that RV manufacturers (in general) are a slipshod bunch.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
You might want to check the coax cables, I had to reinstall both connectors on my 325GTS (I was setting up to use a Dish500 on a tripod because the King Dome will only hit one sat. at a time) and the coax from the cable hookup to the Ant. /Cable switch had no continuity to the shielding. It wouldn't pass the 12V feed to the LNB. After repairing this and re-mounting light fixtures screwed to 1/8' paneling and various other instances of poor workmanship, I have come to the conclusion that RV manufacturers (in general) are a slipshod bunch.
Thanks for the info, I ran into the same problem with cable TV feed line and was about to run a new line when I found no sheild connection on the factory installed line at the input connector and repaired it.

As for King Dome I concluded the problem is the HD reciever from DirecTV. It is not compatible with this King Dome model. I was able to tune the King Dome to a number of signals with a cheap meter but, the DirecTV receiver would not find any signal although it does work with thier dish. I decided not to fool with it and wait until my contract expires and switch to Dish Network.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Not that it matters since I don't think you're running HD, but Dish Network is the only Satellite provider that does mobile HD. DirecTV opted for the very tight Ka band and it is very unforgiving. So if you're looking for HD programming in the future, at this time Dish is the way to go.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not that it matters since I don't think you're running HD, but Dish Network is the only Satellite provider that does mobile HD. DirecTV opted for the very tight Ka band and it is very unforgiving. So if you're looking for HD programming in the future, at this time Dish is the way to go.
The DirecTV HD receiver works on standard tv also (I have used it with a Wineguard MovingView Dish) it just will not work with this King Dome.