Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

30 amp to 50 amp upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade my 30 amp motor home to a 50 amp system? Running the A/C,convection oven,TV,lights and fans exceeds the 30 amp rating and trips the circuit breakers.I would like to be able to use these and not worry about turning different items off to stay below 30 amps. Thanks

2008 283 Lexington GTS
Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #2

Re: 30 amp to 50 amp upgrade?

I think you can use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter to plug your motorhome into a 50 amp circuit. There are multiple circuit breakers to protect the individual circuits. Now, having said this, I don't know if the wires from the power input socket to the circuit breaker panel are large enough to carry 50 amps.

I just bought a 50 to 30 amp adapter at Wally World for $17 because the last place we camped at had only 50 amp and 20 amp circuits, no 30 amps.

Ron
Biker_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Team

As bad as I hate to say it, the answer is yes, but...

If all the appliances run back to the distribution panel on separate circuits it'll be easy. Just buy a 50 amp distribution center and wire approx half the loads to one phase and half to the other, replace the power cable with a 50 amp one and you're done. Unless you have a genset and a transfer switch. I won't go into that yet because you didn't say that was an issue.

Here is a list of power hungry devices that I can think of off the top of my head. You may have more.

A/C
M-wave/convection oven
Water Heater
12V Converter (55 amp 12 volt)
Inverter

50 amps should run all these. I figured them at about 45 amps with all running, so theoretically you could run everything on one leg of the 50 amp hookup. You might not want to do this but it's possible. Most of the times they run one A/C and the washer/dryer on one phase and the rest of the stuff on the other.

Check with these folks on what you need to do. Best Converter They are a great resource.

Tags
50 amp, lexington