Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

8 weeks on the road so far

Just wanted to say that tomorrow will mark the end of our 8th week on the road since leaving Florida at the end of May. So far so good. Have finally gotten used to the phone booth shower, had some tire valve stem core problems which I hope we have cured, and got a couple of new batteries today in Billings, MT.
Almost all of our camping is done in Nat. Forest sites and I have to say I miss our 1000 watt Honda for battery charging (it is home in the garage) but when we are using the 4k onboard generator to recharge for an hour or so we use the time to run the water heater on electric which saves propane.
We try to stay high up in the mountains of Wyoming and Montana and always enjoy the hiking and cool temps.
Just wanted to say we are enjoying the Lexington and all the places we couldn't fit into or even get to with our old larger motorhome while we owned it. Before it we had a couple of Lance campers and went everywhere!!

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
dontay,

Glad you trip and Lexi are doing well!

I would love to hear more about your transition from 34' to 26'! We are in a Lexington and enjoying it very much. At some point in the future we may want to up-size, but hearing why you down-sized and how it is gong would be nice.

The one area I found tight in the 255DS is tool storage, so I added a large storage box on the hitch (no toad). Otherwise the two of us fit very well and we can drive it about anywhere (except the Going to the Sun highway in Glacier NP)

=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Sorry it takes so long to respond but we seldom have internet.
We downsized because we were too large to go to remote cg's in nat. forests, etc. We have a much better power to weight ratio so we don't have to give any thought to pulling the Jeep anywhere. 2' lower means not having to watch so close for low limbs.
You have to know where you want to go with your rv. If you like to "camp" then this is the ticket. If you always stay in rv parks with hookups than slightly larger would be better.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #4

Can you give details of the tire stem problems?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Ah, internet service once again after about 2 weeks! I don't know why we are having so much trouble with the cores of our valve stems. They leak very slowly or stick open when I check the pressure. 5 times on this trip we have had to stop at tire stores to have them worked on. Just this morning as I was looking at the tires a front one seemed low. When I checked the pressure (only about 60 psi after 2 weeks of sitting) it stuck open so I screwed the cap on as tightly as I could and drove about 6 miles to Cooke City, MT and put air in it. It got down to 20 psi. This afternoon it seems fine. As I put air in I could definitely tell when I pulled the chuck away whether it was sticking open or snapping closed very audibly.
I have a 3/4 hp tankless compressor at home but couldn't find a place to put it in the Lexi. What I really need is a good 12v compressor I can carry in the Jeep. Something that will really inflate a truck tire.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Finally home after the summer. Total spent away was 3 1/2 months. The motorhome part was fine and the only problem was the tires. It turns out someone put a sticky substance on the old chrome wheels to hold the bead better I assume. But that junk gets all over the inside of the wheel and tire and causes even new valve stem cores to stick.
We replaced the original chrome wheels with stock duallys. The chrome was flaking off ours and a couple of tire guys mentioned that they had trouble with chrome wheels leaking after they started to flake.
I believe we will replace the sofa with a dinette of some sort. We didn't care for viewing the kitchen stove when just sitting around. Especially with Wyoming and Montana out the window. It would be nice to be turned around some. Also the sofa is looking really ratty now.
Having RVed since 1971 we have had every problem imaginable so the tire problem wasn't a huge deal since we were never stuck on the roadside. We are very happy with the Lexington.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
Old 09-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

You beat me, as I have only done 6 weeks on one trip, but I do have an excuse because I had to return home to do Grand Jury duty.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Dontay,

With reference to your comment about a 12 volt compressor, I bought a booster battery that has an air compressor. It's slow but since it's self contained it's great for topping up tires. Be sure you get one with enough amperage to start your RV, although your coach emergency start feature should do it. We keep it in our toad.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote