Old 04-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Adding an inverter to a Lexington 25.5

I have a 2007 Lexington 25.5 GTS. I am considering adding and true sign inverter as I have a Zamp 160 Watt portable solar panel. Any suggestions on an inverter type, how do I install, and what kind of drain I might expect from my battery pack? I have two AGM house batteries. We enjoyed Boondocking but my wife also enjoys washing and drying her hair each morning. This coupled with the ability to use the microwave would be nice. We have a generator but hate to run it when other people are in the area. Thank you in advance for any advice that can be offered.
Steve Speer, Decatur Illinois.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
I like the Samlex line. I have a Samlex 1500 watt true sine wave inverter that works great. I modified mine so fans come on with temperature instead of load thus decreasing battery consumption and quieting it down a bit.

It is very reasonably priced $360 bucks. I explain how to modify the fans in the question/review sections

How you install is up to you. You should consider using a battery bank with 400 amp hours for a 1500 watt inverter. A microwave will use about 1200 watts which is about 100 amps while the microwave is running. A single or even double battery won't be able to supply this current even for 2-3 minutes to pop popcorn! A hair dryer could use anywhere from 60-100 amps and again, 4 golf cart batteries is your best bet.

Some people install by running separate inverter only a/c outlets in their campers. I use an auto transfer switch that puts priority of ac power form generator followed by inverter. If inverter is on and generator is started, the transfer switch will disconnect the inverter and allow ac power from the generator to take precedence.

Also, re-rerun 120v ac power so that fridge and your 12v converter/battery charger are only run on 120V ac from generator and not from your inverter ac...I did this outside the auto transfer switch box with separate fused connections.

There is a lot more to it. You will need to have some knowledge of electrical wiring and do some thinking to figure out your system.

Installing 4 solar panels, 6 gauge wiring to batteries form solar controller, 2/00 gauge wire for battery bank (4 132 amp hour 6v batteries and 2 group 27 12v batteries as backup), auto selector switch, on/off bat 1/bat2/both bat selector switch, running all electrical under camper, upgrading to controllable triple rate charger, moving charger to front of camper next to batteries, installing 4 separate USB/12V lighter plug and voltage monitor stations, running 10 gauge romex from inverter to rear power panel box, installing LED lighting to reduce power took me about 20 hours of labor. Cutting, crimping, soldering large welding cables takes a lot of time for one person. Running Romex under trailer (removing coroplast cover) and using conduit is also time consuming. Running 1/0 gauge wire in lieu of 6 gauge wire from battery bank to 12V power panel takes a bit of time too ;-) Mounting remote power panels and switches for inverter, solar charge controller, battery monitor is also time consuming. Upgrading wiring for brakes and running additional wiring for triple tow hitch on back of 5th wheel takes time and money too ;-)

Good luck. If you are in CO, I can do all of your electrical for you at about 1/2 the labor rate of a dealership and I my work will be of better quality.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
Tony's install is the same as my factory 2000 watt inverter/converter/charger. I get by with 3 group 31 house batteries of 105 AH each.

You can do a simpler install by just feeding the existing outlet for the microwave with the inverter, and running an HD extensions cord from there to where you will be using the hair dryer.
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

255, inverter, lexington