Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Adding Insulation to Front Cap

I did a search but did not find anything about adding insulation to the front cap. Whenever we are camping in warmer temperatures it is much warmer in the front near the tv. It has been awhile since I looked in the void (the Lexington does not have the overhead bunk) but I recall seeing some minimal thin insulation and I was wondering if anyone had added or looked into it and could provide some thoughts on material and how to install it.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

I added insulation to the front cap interior on our 2012 Lexi 283ts. I don't know how your tv/front cap is laid out, but ours has a tv centered between 2 cabinets, one on each side of the tv.
I took tv down, and used Reflextix directly against the wall. Over that I used a sheet of insulation, It was fiberglass, about an inch or so thick, with a foil backing. Just cut it with sissors and stuck it up against the cap. Then I got some very thin panaling and covered everything,
Mounted tv set on a swivel/angle mount so I could pull it out and angle it for better viewing. When the tv is pulled out it reveals a nice storage space now. When tv is back in place, storage space is hidden.
On the road now, but will try to take some pics and upload them in next few days.
WiFi is very spotty where we are, and will be heading into Canada tomorrow, so WiFi may be even worse.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Couple three options...

Stuff unfaced batt insulation in there, 6" or so should do fine. You can use reflectix and paneling like Grumpy did. My game plan is to use insulation stick pins on the fiberglass then stick foil faced duct insulation on them. (Think commercial duct work).

The first way is the easiest and probably the cheapest. You have pretty decent access with the television out of the way.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Couple three options...

Stuff unfaced batt insulation in there, 6" or so should do fine. You can use reflectix and paneling like Grumpy did. My game plan is to use insulation stick pins on the fiberglass then stick foil faced duct insulation on them. (Think commercial duct work).

The first way is the easiest and probably the cheapest. You have pretty decent access with the television out of the way.

Aaron
wahoonc, the foil faced duct insulation is what I used over the Reflextix. I just couldn't think of the proper name!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks Grumpy,
I remember reading a post some time ago that you had insulated yours but I could not find it. Our 265 has the same entertainment center as your unit and I really like the idea of putting the tv on a swivel since it is difficult to watch. Happy trails and have a good time in Canada. Just a little while longer to retirement and we can make some trips like that.

Thanks also wahoonc,
I had to laugh since I design commercial/institutional HVAC systems for a living and the thought of using stick pins did not even enter my mind, but that is a great idea.

Some more winter projects!!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

We have a 2010 Lexi 255 GTS and since I had other issues [ Roof Leak, Bad TV location and Spray Foam insulation being done in my garage] I decided to gut the entertainment center and re-do it the way it worked best for us. I did this work last year and it sure has made a difference in the inside winter & summer. The people I had do it [It was free since I was doing the garage and I removed all the inside cap parts] did a great job and spraying gets all the nooks and grannies and makes the cap more ridged and waterproof. After this I had the seal re-done between the cap and cap and repainted by or local RV shop and it does not show any issues, cracks at all. If you go this way Just make surw you cover the cap outside lights inside or anything you may need to get to later. It is a real pain to remove after it is on the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Cap Units Removed.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	142895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray Foam Closeup..jpg
Views:	228
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	142896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak from Ceiling area.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	142897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation In Cap #1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	142898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Completed 05-05-2016.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	142899  

Lewis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis96 View Post
We have a 2010 Lexi 255 GTS and since I had other issues [ Roof Leak, Bad TV location and Spray Foam insulation being done in my garage] I decided to gut the entertainment center and re-do it the way it worked best for us. I did this work last year and it sure has made a difference in the inside winter & summer. The people I had do it [It was free since I was doing the garage and I removed all the inside cap parts] did a great job and spraying gets all the nooks and grannies and makes the cap more ridged and waterproof. After this I had the seal re-done between the cap and cap and repainted by or local RV shop and it does not show any issues, cracks at all. If you go this way Just make surw you cover the cap outside lights inside or anything you may need to get to later. It is a real pain to remove after it is on the cap.
I really like how the tv and cabinets worked out, that is really nice.
It looks like after you had the foam sprayed you filled the remaining void with regular fiberglass batt insulation?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the comment but no batt in the cap at all, just spray. There was some styrofoam in the soft ceiling where the leak started with Luan covering that. That was all removed to good material to make sure there was no mold.
The TV is mounted so we can pull it out and rotate it if desired for a better view. I have since this work replaced the jackknife sofa with a dual reclining love seat couch.
We really like our Forest River Lexi RV and have a good local RV dealership here that has help us get matching parts from FR and if they have trouble there they help me locate them in other places.
Good Luck and Happy Rving!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

The batting you saw was there from the start but full of water that entered from the drivers side door roof and was running across the cap headliner and puddling in the cap at the front. it had mold and had been leaking some time I assumed and figured that is why the owners before me sold it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ceiling Damage #1.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	142931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling Water Damage.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	142932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ist Section Of Soft Ceiling Removed.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	142933  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #10

Well at the end of the day the work you did turned out really nice. Another item for me this winter, check and repair all roof seams and penetrations.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I added insulation to the front cap interior on our 2012 Lexi 283ts. I don't know how your tv/front cap is laid out, but ours has a tv centered between 2 cabinets, one on each side of the tv.
I took tv down, and used Reflextix directly against the wall. Over that I used a sheet of insulation, It was fiberglass, about an inch or so thick, with a foil backing. Just cut it with sissors and stuck it up against the cap. Then I got some very thin panaling and covered everything,
Mounted tv set on a swivel/angle mount so I could pull it out and angle it for better viewing. When the tv is pulled out it reveals a nice storage space now. When tv is back in place, storage space is hidden.
On the road now, but will try to take some pics and upload them in next few days.
WiFi is very spotty where we are, and will be heading into Canada tomorrow, so WiFi may be even worse.
Grumpy
Grumpy
Can't wait to see your pictures. We just got back from our first trip and also noticed how super hot that area gets. Plus we live in Phoenix,AZ so while stored here it probably get well over 120 degrees while sitting in the sun. It's definitely hotter than the rest of the RV. Also thinking of insulating the cabinet area's above the couch and kitchen table.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

Not sure I want to tackle taking the cabinets out to insulate the front area but it really needs it.

Anyone have idea's or pictures or instructions on how they removed the cabinets?

I don't see where all the screws are, and don't want to rip it out or damage the ceiling headliner etc.

2006 FR, 283 GTS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	entertainment center pic.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	147788  
Old 07-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #13

removing over cab entertainment unit

Hi We just finished removing unit over cab. 2005 Lexington is in three parts. There is tape strip hiding joint area between cabinet and other two units. We first removed TV, then remove tape and could see the screw heads on the inside of cabinet. Took out three units slowly very easy . Now we have a small bunk space for sleeping and a flat screen TV in place.
offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #14

Great did you happen to take any pictures of the process and final results?

Tags
insulation