Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Airbags on FR Lexington 283

I have the airbags set at 80 lbs of pressure on our Ford V10 Lexington 283. I have noticed that the front end seems "light" and not as steady on the road at highway speeds. Any suggestions on how this can be corrected.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

it may not be the airbag setting have you checked how you are loaded? the more you load aft of the drivers will unload the steer axle and give a lighter feel.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

First, have you had your Lexi weighed? Need to get that done to determine what your front and rear axle ar supporting. Ge it weighed with the equipment you would normally carry, full gas tank and maybe 1/2 tank of fresh water.
On our Lexi, like yours, the fresh water tank sits well aft of the axle, and if your hauling a fill tank, it dosen't help the weight on the rear overhang (that portion of the coach thats behind the axle)
Second, after getting it weighed, you can adjust your tire air pressure to the weight specs. If your running the max listed for your tires (usually 80 psi) they may be overinflated for your specific load.
On our Lexi 283ts, I run 70 psi in the front, and 72-75 psi in the rear tires. This is well within the tires weight rating (for my rig), and gives a smooth ride without the "light" feeling in the front. Airbags are set at 70 psi.
You just have to expermint with tire pressures, airbag pressure, and maybe adjusting some weight forward of the rear axle.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
First, have you had your Lexi weighed? Need to get that done to determine what your front and rear axle ar supporting. Ge it weighed with the equipment you would normally carry, full gas tank and maybe 1/2 tank of fresh water.
On our Lexi, like yours, the fresh water tank sits well aft of the axle, and if your hauling a fill tank, it dosen't help the weight on the rear overhang (that portion of the coach thats behind the axle)
Second, after getting it weighed, you can adjust your tire air pressure to the weight specs. If your running the max listed for your tires (usually 80 psi) they may be overinflated for your specific load.
On our Lexi 283ts, I run 70 psi in the front, and 72-75 psi in the rear tires. This is well within the tires weight rating (for my rig), and gives a smooth ride without the "light" feeling in the front. Airbags are set at 70 psi.
You just have to expermint with tire pressures, airbag pressure, and maybe adjusting some weight forward of the rear axle.
Grumpy
I have a 2006 283GTS with 45,000 miles and a front end wandering problem.
Weighed the axles fully loaded at front 3900 lbs and rear at 9260 lbs and adjusted the tire PSI to 60 psi in front and 75 psi in rear per Michelin tire chart but still having the wandering. Next step is alignment and two new front shocks. Thinking about adding rear air bags and was wondering if you added aftermarket air bags which did you install? Was there drilling required or are they direct fit?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

I have the Firestone airbag set up on the Lexi, but it was installed at the factory. An option I think.
Anyway, if you don't have them, get them. No need to get fancy...the standard manual fill works just fine.
No drilling, but unless you have accesss to a good (20 ton) bottle jack and impact wrench, get it installed at a shop.
Also, check that your rig dosen't already have them. If you bought your rig used, previous owner/dealer might not have mentioned/knew they were there.
Check the two rear left and right storage compartments. Look on the front wall of the compartments and if installed you should see an air valve (schrader valve) mounted on the wall. Just a thought, as the airbags themselves are small in size, and not really visible from under the rig.
Grumpy

Days camping...75
Old 08-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
I have the Firestone airbag set up on the Lexi, but it was installed at the factory. An option I think.
Anyway, if you don't have them, get them. No need to get fancy...the standard manual fill works just fine.
No drilling, but unless you have accesss to a good (20 ton) bottle jack and impact wrench, get it installed at a shop.
Also, check that your rig dosen't already have them. If you bought your rig used, previous owner/dealer might not have mentioned/knew they were there.
Check the two rear left and right storage compartments. Look on the front wall of the compartments and if installed you should see an air valve (schrader valve) mounted on the wall. Just a thought, as the airbags themselves are small in size, and not really visible from under the rig.
Grumpy
You just convinced me. Having new shocks and alignment this week and will order the airbags asap.
And my manual slide nuts were exactly where you said they'd be. I never would have looked at the ceiling of the storage compartment.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Thank everyone for the trips on wandering 283ts

We are taking a trip this week to Canada and niagra falls had all pressures checked removed bike rack off rear bumper will let u know how it rides ,thank everyone stosh1943
Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Just took measurements from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well over the tires, in line with the axle and noticed the rear is 1 1/4" higher than the front measurement.

A lot of good it does me because I don't know if that's normal. Maybe the front fender well is designed to be higher but it doesn't look like it.

I am curious to know if the wheel well measurements should be the same. If so we could use it to make sure vehicle was level once loaded.

Gonna get the alignment, two front shocks and the Safe -T- Plus re-adjusted then add the Firestone Ride rite air bags hopefully next week.

Will update if it makes a difference.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

Your rear end being 1 1/4 inch higher that the front is pretty much normal. On our 2012 the rear sits higher with no air in the air bags. Adding air lifts it up another inch, but no big deal.
Rear ends on the E-450 are pretty heavy duty, and are set to carry a lot of weight. Even adding a coach body like the 283ts dosen't come anywhere near the weight limit of the springs.
Don't have the exact weights with me now, but when I weighed our Lexi, full gas tank, 1/2 full water, and normal stuff we carry, me and wife aboard, I still had over 1500 lbs of carrying capacity left inside the rig.
The Lexi line is one of the few that dosen't come anywhere near the weight limit/carrying capacity of the E-450 chassies.
Grumpy

Days camping...75
Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Your rear end being 1 1/4 inch higher that the front is pretty much normal. On our 2012 the rear sits higher with no air in the air bags. Adding air lifts it up another inch, but no big deal.
Rear ends on the E-450 are pretty heavy duty, and are set to carry a lot of weight. Even adding a coach body like the 283ts dosen't come anywhere near the weight limit of the springs.
Don't have the exact weights with me now, but when I weighed our Lexi, full gas tank, 1/2 full water, and normal stuff we carry, me and wife aboard, I still had over 1500 lbs of carrying capacity left inside the rig.
The Lexi line is one of the few that dosen't come anywhere near the weight limit/carrying capacity of the E-450 chassies.
Grumpy
That's the kind of information I've been looking for. If I can get this wandering issue taken care of I think we'll really like the lexi, if not I'll be sorry I bought it.

Tags
airbags, lexington