Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Bubbles in the shower

2006 Lexington 283 GTS
When we drain the kitchen or bathroom sinks sometimes bubbles and gurgling sounds come up from the shower drain.

The shower drain drains slow where as the others drain very fast. We have used Draino and plungers but still have the problem.

Forest River sent me a Waste water diagram which shows the blk and gry systems are not even connected and both have separate vent pipes to the roof. However, their drawing is dated 2010 so obviously its not correct cause I only have one vent pipe for the black tank and none for the grey tank.

I ran a high pressure water hose down the black tank roof vent pipe and as I suspected sewer waste came up into the shower drain.

Anyone have any other ideas or know how this systems are really connected?
I looked from underneath the RV and can't really see much of the piping into the blk or gry tanks so I assume there in the floor.

ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

I have three tanks (2 grey 1 blk), all three tanks are vented thru one pipe thru the roof, your home is no different, all the plumbing is connected to one vent. All your tanks need to be vented or they will not drain correctly. It sounds like you have a blocked vent somewhere. Also, your grey water may look like blk water if it sits in the tank long enough.

wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Sometimes when not vented to the roof there is a vent under the bathroom sink. It could be clogged or need replacing.

It would look something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-1-1-2...ent/1000363773
Old 09-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #4

when my Toilet is nearing full, it sort of bubbles

good reminder for me

marc
FL-mph21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #5

Tanks were only about 1/3 full and it doesn't seem to matter how full they are. However it does drain better when fully level vs being 2-3" lower in the front.

No vent under the sinks.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Sometimes when not vented to the roof there is a vent under the bathroom sink. It could be clogged or need replacing.

It would look something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-1-1-2...ent/1000363773
Both tanks are atmospherically vented. An air admittance valve will not work if there is not an atmospheric vent connected to a drainage system. The OP’s black and gray tank vents are tied in together, and from the explanation given, the gray tank vent is going straight through the roof from the tank and the black tank vent is tied into it on the vertical somewhere inside of a wall. This is why water came up into the shower when the hose was put into the vent on the roof. It was coming from the gray tank and not the black tank. The shower is bubbling because the air admittance valve on the gray water system is not opening. It needs to be replaced.

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
No vent under the sinks.
Then you need to install one on one of your gray system drains.

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

If you want to test the theory of whether or not you need an air admittance valve, remove the trap from one of your sinks and drain water into the other sink. Removing the trap will allow air into the system, just like an air admittance valve would.

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Are you sure no AAV vents? They can be difficult to spot. Higher than the trap under the sink. If you find one just unscrew and remove it. Replace with a new one if that fixes the problem.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

OK, you guys were right I went and double checked and found one under the kitchen sink and those lines connect to the bathroom sink directly behind the wall. It's too late and difficult to get to so now my question is this.

These two sinks are draining perfectly, super fast etc. can this AAV still be causing my shower drain to bubble and how would this explain the Blk tank vent forcing water and gases up the shower drain when I ran water down the blk tank vent pipe from the roof?

I would assume this AAV is working perfectly because of the way the two sinks drain so fast.

There are no access panels to remove so I can't see if the blk tank vent pipe connects with the grey water drain lines from the kit/Bath sinks.

I've also attached the diagram for a 2010 which is the only one Forest River has been able to provide. Even if blk tank vent pipe #37 connected where it meets grey water Kit/Bath line #32 there is no way to access it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AAV vent 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	187880   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AAV 2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	187881  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 283 waste water.pdf (177.8 KB, 23 views)

Tags
show, shower