Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

caulking problem

Hi Everyone

I am having a problem caulking the area between the cab and where the fiberglass overhang come together on my 06 lexington. When I caulk this area and let it dry for a day I can only drive a few miles and the seam opens up. I have used everything from silicone to dicor products c-10 nothing is flexible enough to hold. I asked my dealer he said to clean real well and roughen up surface and use good quality silicone. Has anyone had problems with this, and where will water go if it leaks in.?

Thanks in advance
wrinkles
wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It is important to to make sure its very clean before caulking. so that it will new will stick. and also to remove old caulking.
send pics of area your trying to do. That would be helpful .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Silicone is THE WORST advise you could have gotten. Nothing will stick to the silicone, so further repairs are going to be a real mess. First off you need to determine why the seam is opening up. I would suspect structural problems allowing the front cap to move. Without fixing the underlying problem you will never be able to get anything to seal the area.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Silicone is a bad choice to use on the outside of a rig. The best choice is to use what Winnebago uses where the roof meets the side walls. It is thermoplastic called Kop-r-lastic from the Canadian based company Henry. Available from Winnebago only for $18 a tube. I guess the company has the same product HE212 available at Home depot & such for $9 a tube. I haven't found it!
If water should get in , my guess it would show up on the headliner or where the sun visors are attached As stated earlier, it does sound like there is too much movement.
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #5

100% latex only on the outside seams. I would try and clean area with a solvent like lacquer thinner. Use a wire bristle brush. They try to reseal with 100% latex caulk from big box store.
turbosek is offline   Reply With Quote