Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Check your caulk/molding around base of MH - what caulk to use?

I was out at my MH checking on it today and when I went to get tools out of the rear passenger side compartment I noticed some water. Looking the caulk had pulled loose above it.

It's one of those leak that if undetected could cause major damage.

Any recommendation on what caulk to use?

Thanks!
Floor level calking on Lexinton 255DS by cdrdwd, on Flickr
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Geocel 28101V Pro Flex White RV Flexible Sealant
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

A couple of things here. I would bet the screws holding that awning bracket are loose. I had a problem in the same spot. One of screws was only screwed into the fiberglass siding. You could never get it to tighten up. I tried different things , bigger longer screws & steel wool & other things for the screw to grip. So far it has held ......
Caulk. No silicone !! Don't use 20/20 . Sticks really well but no good in spots where the hot sun can hit it. Gets sticky when hot & attracts dirt. I had a lot of it on my rig & I just got done removing most of it. Heat gun , 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner , time & a lot of elbow grease!
I am using OSI Quad color caulk as close as I can get to a color match. This is a caulk I was told to use by tech who works on RVs . But he also recommended 20/20 ..............
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Sad to say it's not the caulk. The wood holding the lag bolts is rotting away and your awning leg will likely pull out. My solution was to dig out as much of the rotted wood as possible and inject epoxy using a caulk gun. While the epoxy is still setting put the lag bolts and mount bag in. Not pretty but it seems to be working.
markf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, mold