Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 Lexington 235S

Hey all,

I've spent the last couple nights reading everything I can find about FR Lexingtons. I've found an ex rental that has 98k and is a 2009 Coach 2008 Chassis.

It's been really difficult to track down any information about that specific year.

I've put a deposit down and thanks (big thanks!) to these forums I have a long list of questions and a checklist to go through with the dealer before I commit.

Can anyone here comment on the 2009 Coach?

I spent about 45 mins test driving and from first impression it drove like a dream.

I'm a bit on the younger side (30) for early retirement but I like to think I'm short term retiring going to spend the next few years traveling to music festivals, surfing, and skiing. I've built up some income properties as nest eggs and want to get on the road while I have some youth. I realize the MPG is kinda **** for the traveling I'll be doing but I've got a partner and friends that will help with the costs of fuel along the way.

The sleeping situation seems to be the biggest drawback on these coaches but I figure with a custom memory foam on top of the sofa bed I should be alright (will store behind the sofa during travels? hopefully?) Also the floorplan is amazing for hosting 3-4 musicians during wet season here in the PNW for jam sessions.

The price is 30k after tax (CAD) the unit is solid with some minor repairs needed to the dinette ie. trim needs re-nailing. I do plan on living in it fulltime. Going to be working for another 10 months and will be saving a lot more by moving into it than my expensive apartment rental.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on this year and your opinions on my plans and such.

jpfreeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
We have a 2008 3 slide Lexington. We like it but it has had some issues as all motor homes do. Our microwave broke 3 times and still isn't working and have had trouble with the fridge door panel falling off. We have repaired everything but the microwave. Make sure you have a well equipped tool box and it will be a little crowded with 5 guys in there but it is doable. We keep a couple of lawn chairs on the bed in the back to use for extra seating with guests as the driver and passenger seats don't swivel around. They did in our last motor home and we miss that extra seating. The price is good and I hope you have a wonderful year.

Sherol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
great plan! retire young, while you can really enjoy it!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
RV Nomad
As Nike says, "Just Do It". I am 71 and wished I could have done what I am doing now when I was 30 but there were always things that got in the way: job, family, bills, health...even an excess of caution. As far as the MH...the 235S is no better or no worse than other just have to find a floor plan you like and a price you can live with. Also, MH do not change much from year to year. In fact, I cannot tell the difference between a 2003 and a 2007. The engine is the same, the microwave is the same, even the chassis is the same. So if it works for you, please start your retirement early. We'll be rooting for you.
olygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
I have a 2007 235s on a Chevy chassis. Some things to consider:

1. There is very little exterior storage space. I bought a stowaway2 cargo container for gear and equipment.

2. There is also very little counter space. Actually, there is none. I put a countertop over the stove and bought an induction hot plate for cooking.

3. There is not much room behind the couch. Your memory foam would have to be not more than a couple of inches, if that.

4. The heat duct to the bath room vent runs outside under the chassis on mine. Consequently, it does not provide much heat.

5. The driver's side closet has ample space for shelves in the back while still leaving room for hanging clothes.

6. The front seats are great for storing my GS-Mini while we're camping.

7. Re 98k miles. That's a lot. Perhaps other can speak to it, but I wouldn't pay $30k for something with that many miles. I expect you will face lots of mechanical issue. I paid $34 for mine. It had 4k miles on it.

8. It gets pretty good gas mileage for a motorhome (11-12). It drives like a dream compared to my last Ford chassis motorhome. It's pretty easy to maneuver. You'll have to hog two parking spaces. You still have to watch the rear over hang when turning in close maneuvers, but at 25 ft the overhang is pretty reasonable.

9. Hosting several musicians may be a little optimistic. It gets pretty tight with just the spouse and me moving about. Hope one of the musicians is not a drummer. Seriously, I can't imagine 4 or 5 people in it for any length of time.

I'm guessing you can pull it off, but you'll be pretty happy when you move back into an apartment - even if it's a small studio. Good Luck!
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
I just bought a 2003 235. I'm still working out new owner issues and ensuring all areas are operational. Changed the oil and all systems seem to work. The one item I need assistance on is there is a leak behind the left rear wheel where the fuel pipe leads to hoses that are cracked. However, the fluid smells kind of like gas, feels like oil. Any ideas on what it could be? H
Hasher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill

Only a guess, it could be a fuel line to the generator (draws of the tank at the 1/4 level so the generator cannot run the gas tank dry).

What color is the line and how big?

Bill & Renee from Novi, Michigan
2006 Lexington 255DS
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
It's gray.

Hasher12 is offline   Reply With Quote