Old 09-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

coach batteries not charging while plugged in

I have a 2011 283 GTS. We've only had it a week and on our first trip. We have been plugged in to electricity since Sun 3pm. Its now Monday 9pm and the battery level says 1/3 charge left. we have the battery disconnect switch turned on. There is also an inverter but it is turned off. Also the batteries were new in August 2015. Why would the coach batteries be going dead? also when I turned the battery disconnect switch to off the air conditioner stopped. Does that mean if the batteries are dead the AC won't work? Other than the AC we are mostly using electrical plugs for lights and tv.

Please help as it is 100 degrees daily in Texas! I've previously only had Winnebagos and never had a problem with batteries when plugged in.

thanks

Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

Hello, sounds like your convertor is not charging. Check the fuses for a blown one in the power centre. Also check the AC Breaker for the convertor. The AC needs 12 volts for control, turning off the battery and no operation leads me to believe a convertor problem.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

batteries not charging

we checked fuses (located under the bed). none seemed blown. None are labeled converter. Where is the converted located to check the AC breaker?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

batteries not charging

we found the power converter under the bed. We checked the fuse and it looks okay. we switched it with another 35 fuse. no change. We tested the power cord coming out of the converter. When we plugged it into an extension cord from the bathroom, the fan started for about 5 seconds and then stopped. Also, when we plugged the converter cord back into the plug it came out of, the fan started for about 5 seconds and then quit. We couldn't find any other breaker switches to push under the bed. Does it sound like the converter is bad? Am I missing anything?
thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

batteries not charging

also, is overhead lights the only thing using the battery power or does everything electrical go through the batteries and recharged by being plugged in to electric supply?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #6

Only the lights, vent fans (fantastic fans), control for the AC, furnace fans and controls. Things like the AC outlets run off shore power or generator. It really sounds like the convertor is bad.

One things you can do if you feel your able to is to hook up a standard battery charger to the batteries to charge them.

I dont know how your coach is wired but the engine may charge the battery as well.

A call to local Mobile RV repair company might be next as it looks like you are out of Warranty with a 2011.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

Converter

We had the same problem with our 2011 Lexington and it was a bad converter on ours. Also, there are two power switches for the batteries. One in the battery compartment and one near the entry steps. We turn both off when the RV is in storage & sometimes forget the one near the entry steps when we forget the one by the entry steps, we have power problems.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
2012 FR Lexington 283TS

We Replaced Converter

We had the dealership repair shop look into the same problem for us three times. They always said that everything looked fine. I found many threads on this forum about replacing the converter. I just installed it last week (Progressive PD9260C). When I examined the old unit (WFCO), I found that one of the two fuses was blown. I currently need to check that my batteries are fully charging from the generator (as they should). I did notice that the batteries do charge while driving (which would only happen occasionally with the old unit). Also the overhead lights would dim occasionally with the old unit.....
The batteries will charge when the RV is running, when we are plugged into shore power and when the generator is running.
The AC plugs will only work when we are plugged into shore power or when the generator is running.
We have a 2013 283TS GTS and there is only one power switch by the steps next to the battery box (located under the second step).
We found that if the batteries are dead, you couldn't start the generator. We would have to run the RV until the batteries had enough charge to start the generator. Without this forum, I would have never found the faulty convertor. Every time I go to the dealer, there are new people in the service department. The people in this forum know more that any tech I have talked to. Good Luck.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Previous Member

Allan

I have a Forest River motor home And I found out on shore power you must have the power switch just inside the door turned on to have it charge. This may be the same for your unit. Just try it Put test on with power switch off Then test with power switch on.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
2012 FR Lexington 283TS

Power Switch On

That is true. Once we are hooked to shore power, we leave the power switch always on. When we are camping without shore power, I leave it on except when we leave the MH. This saves the battery power.

Tags
charging, battery