Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
BOBDAWG

Concertone replacement

I have a 2008 Lexington 255DS with a non-working Concertone ZX500. Has anyone replaced this with a Genesis GT3.0? If you have, did you do it youself, was it a simple plug in with the adaptor wiring plugs? Are you satisfied with the Genesis or is the same quality and support as the ZX500?
bobdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #2

Good question I would be interested in knowing as well!
chideock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #3

I went to the Concertone site and got this:

"ZX500
No Longer Available
Replace with the GT-3.0
Plug & Play Replacement?
Yes - With Wiring Harness Adapter"

Now I have to wait till I pickup my "new to me" 2008 Lexington GTS283 to find out what model is in the Lexi. Hoping it is a ZX500 because the upgrade will be one of my first mods.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
BOBDAWG

Zx500 replacement

Please advise when you do the replacement.
bobdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Would be nice to get some feedback from current users in the meantime. Referring to the GT-3 that is!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #6

Genesis 3.0 replacement

I just posted this under tech talk.

Just installed a GT-30, replacing an old GX500
I think the GT-30 works great. It did require an adapter plug kit from Concertone but it was plug and play. I see where other people are not fond of the Concertone (Genesis) brand but I have had no problems.
My 8 year old unit, the GX500, still works but the physical buttons are 'sticky' and the unit doesn't always respond. Using the remote the unit responds every time.
I just put the new GT-30 through a rigorous test by driving over the Denali Highway (I'm in Alaska). 125 mile of rough road and pot holes and the unit still works so I'm satisfied. We had a great camping trip . YMMV.
A few tips: 1. Use an optical audio cable from your TV to the Genesis and tell the TV to use external speakers, 2. The GX500 has a cable connection on the back and the Genesis 3 does not so you have to connect the antenna to the TV. 3. Use an HDMI cable.
Good luck!

Oh, and one more tip. The tabs on the trim piece break really easily so don't put the trim piece on the 3.0 until you are sure everything is working. I still haven't put mine on.

2006 Lexington 283 GTS
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
Cinerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Tks for the tips
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #8

I did the opposite, I replaced my RV2003H Concertone with a ZX400 Concertone and you can read my posts here: Replacing my RV2003H Concertone with a ZX400

Also you can see what I have to say about the retrofit cable for upgrading to the GT3.0 radio.
Timbren SES
Prodigy P3 brake controller
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerama View Post

I think the GT-30 works great. It did require an adapter plug kit from Concertone but it was plug and play. I see where other people are not fond of the Concertone (Genesis) brand but I have had no problems.
My 8 year old unit, the GX500, still works but the physical buttons are 'sticky' and the unit doesn't always respond. Using the remote the unit responds every time.
I just put the new GT-30 through a rigorous test by driving over the Denali Highway (I'm in Alaska). 125 mile of rough road and pot holes and the unit still works so I'm satisfied. We had a great camping trip . YMMV.
A few tips: 1. Use an optical audio cable from your TV to the Genesis and tell the TV to use external speakers, 2. The GX500 has a cable connection on the back and the Genesis 3 does not so you have to connect the antenna to the TV. 3. Use an HDMI cable.
Good luck!

Oh, and one more tip. The tabs on the trim piece break really easily so don't put the trim piece on the 3.0 until you are sure everything is working. I still haven't put mine on.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the GT-30? Thanks.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

If you don't mind my saying, a new GT3.0 goes for $700, but you can get a used one from Concertone for about $350 and it's checked out by Concertone before being put up for sale. If I was to upgrade my ZX400 to the GT3.0 this is the way I would go. Here's the url for this sale: Clearance Outlet

Also here's the manual for the GT3.0 : http://www.eaa1358.com/Wildcat/Conce...0%20Manual.pdf
Timbren SES
Prodigy P3 brake controller
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #11

In addition

When purchasing from concertone, a refurbished will get you a one year warrantee. A used unit comes with 90 days.

2006 Lexington 283 GTS
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
Old 04-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

Talking Swapping a GT-3.0 for a GX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerama View Post

Good luck!

Cinerama: Is there any way I could beg you to be a bit more descriptive about the plug n play part? I'm looking at the back of the GX500 and the Gt-3.0 and it's not obvious. I'm back from a road trip and may be I need 1) more coffee, or 2) more sleep but I'm not seeing PnP, but more like a confusing wad of spaghetti with dissimilar connectors.

Maybe I need to stare at it longer but I'll gladly take any advice!

David
dchaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
Site Team

dchaviland, cinerama's last post on the Forum, was nearly 3 years ago, on this thread.

He may not longer be visiting the Forum.
You might be better sending him a PM.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

Concertone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchaviland View Post
Cinerama: Is there any way I could beg you to be a bit more descriptive about the plug n play part? I'm looking at the back of the GX500 and the Gt-3.0 and it's not obvious. I'm back from a road trip and may be I need 1) more coffee, or 2) more sleep but I'm not seeing PnP, but more like a confusing wad of spaghetti with dissimilar connectors.

Maybe I need to stare at it longer but I'll gladly take any advice!

David
David, I no longer own that particular Motorhome but I went to concertone.com and purchased an adapter plug that converts the wiring. It was just plug the adapter into the 3.0 and then plug the original harness plugs into the adapter: here's the link; Concertone® Wiring Adapter. Here's the description; Adapts GT-3.0/ ZX800 to ZX500/ ZX600 wiring harness.
It's a little spendy at $80 but it sure makes life easier. It makes the plugs compatible and you don't have to deal with the spaghetti.
Good luck!

2006 Lexington 283 GTS
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
Old 05-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #15

Always good to see an old thread come back to life at just the right time. Pulled the camper out of storage and remembered that my CD/DVD player on my ZX600 didn't work all last summer. And the radio display would black out once in a while so it was a crap shoot trying to find a radio station you were looking for.

Was looking at the ZX700/690 I found through a supplier out of Michigan on Amazon for $139 new. But then saw they also have the new Genesis GT 3.0 units for $249 new. Makes me wonder how they can be so cheap when Concertone is still listing them for $699.95. Hmm....What to do next.
hockeydawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydawg12 View Post
Always good to see an old thread come back to life at just the right time. Pulled the camper out of storage and remembered that my CD/DVD player on my ZX600 didn't work all last summer. And the radio display would black out once in a while so it was a crap shoot trying to find a radio station you were looking for.

Was looking at the ZX700/690 I found through a supplier out of Michigan on Amazon for $139 new. But then saw they also have the new Genesis GT 3.0 units for $249 new. Makes me wonder how they can be so cheap when Concertone is still listing them for $699.95. Hmm....What to do next.

They are made in China for less $25 and resold here at an exorbitant price. I'm all for profit but Concertone is gouging customers.

You can get an identical radio in features for $149 Elite Entertainment Model EEDV02 RV Stereo 12 Volt Wall Mount Bluetooth | eBay It is an elite radio and is made in the same factory as the Concert one stereos but with slightly different faceplate and button locations. I have installed 2 of these elite models and am very happy with them. They work great.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #17

Concertone replacement

We went to Car Toys and they replaced the Concertone with an amazing Pioneer radio/DVD player which is ten times better than the Concertone. The Radio was around $250 plus installation. I think it all came to about $400. But it looks great and works great.
Sherol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concertone, replacement