Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Electric awning

I am looking at converting my manuel awning to an electric one. Has anyone else looked into this or done it?
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
I am looking at converting my manuel awning to an electric one. Has anyone else looked into this or done it?

albeit that it "could" be done, the arms from each type of awning mount in different locations and most likely will leave holes in the side of your camper that would have to be repaired.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Current awning has mounts at top and in rail at bottom. Eliminating would leave holes at bottom to be fill and a plug would work and not be noticable.
Concerned about mount and weight at top with not vertical support.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Current awning has mounts at top and in rail at bottom. Eliminating would leave holes at bottom to be fill and a plug would work and not be noticable.
Concerned about mount and weight at top with not vertical support.
I'm not clear on what your stating.
Automatic electric awnings mount to the sidewall of the camper .
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Have a Lexington Class B+.
Curved where roof and sidewalls meet requiring a horizontal mount at top with sissor type action.
Google Lexington and notice awning support bracket curves just above top od entry door.
This curve precludes using a verticle sction electric awning. Other option is horizontal operating elecrtric awning.
Done my research, just curious if anyone has done this conversion.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Curved where roof and sidewalls meet requiring a horizontal mount at top with sissor type action.
Google Lexington and notice awning support bracket curves just above top od entry door.
This curve precludes using a verticle sction electric awning. Other option is horizontal operating elecrtric awning.
Makes more sense now.

There I can't help.

Turbs
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
albeit that it "could" be done, the arms from each type of awning mount in different locations and most likely will leave holes in the side of your camper that would have to be repaired.

TURBS
Why couldn't he just replace the rh end with the motor? Don't know if the lh torsion spring is the same. Could work if the ends would take the new motor, etc.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Why couldn't he just replace the rh end with the motor? Don't know if the lh torsion spring is the same. Could work if the ends would take the new motor, etc.
Good idea.

You'd have to eliminate or disable the forward/reversing mechanism tho.

Right?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Good idea.

You'd have to eliminate or disable the forward/reversing mechanism tho.

Right?
You would pull that entire mechanism out of the tube and replace with the motor mechanism. Only problem would be if the motor stuff would fit the old arms.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

The manual awning is more "beefy" than the automatic from A&E. Don't think motor could handle the extra load. From the way mine works, I'm sure it would really struggle with the manual ones I've had before. I feel confident in saying a retrofit to existing manual awning would not work. Actually I think I prefer the manual ones. They can be converted to the carport configuration and secured to the ground for windy conditions and a deflapper installed on each end is easily accomplished. Not necessarily a bad thing having a manual awning.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
When at the Rally-------------

When at the Rally in Goshen, the same question was ask bay a fellow from Quebec that was having his Manuel awning replaced with a electric awning. The techs said to completely remove the old awning and replace everything with the new hardware for the electric awning to make sure it all works. Plug all the old holes with Stainless steel lag bolts.

I watched this happen at the 2012 rally.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Why would you want to do that? except it's easier of course to press a button, The manual awnings are so much stronger. I tried to get them added new instead of the electric ones, I don't care what anyone say's they do not hold up the metal is so light that they will bend with just a little pressure. But that is just me. The person who invents a flopper stopper for the electric awning will become an millionaire over night. Ah! a new project for the old coot to design on his CAD. You got to keep that old man busy or he creates s--t on this forum...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The manual awning is more "beefy" than the automatic from A&E. Don't think motor could handle the extra load. From the way mine works, I'm sure it would really struggle with the manual ones I've had before. I feel confident in saying a retrofit to existing manual awning would not work. Actually I think I prefer the manual ones. They can be converted to the carport configuration and secured to the ground for windy conditions and a deflapper installed on each end is easily accomplished. Not necessarily a bad thing having a manual awning.
Same can be done with an electric.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131121_155126.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	42902
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Why would you want to do that? except it's easier of course to press a button, The manual awnings are so much stronger. I tried to get them added new instead of the electric ones, I don't care what anyone say's they do not hold up the metal is so light that they will bend with just a little pressure. But that is just me. The person who invents a flopper stopper for the electric awning will become an millionaire over night. Ah! a new project for the old coot to design on his CAD. You got to keep that old man busy or he creates s--t on this forum...
Easy fix, just throw a strap over the material and secure on the flimsy arms. Works like a charm.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131121_155256.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	42903
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Same can be done with an electric.
And a lot easier and just as good. I'll take my electric over the 7 manuals I've had now that we have the poles installed.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #17

Thank you all for your input.
Doesn't take that much time or energy, and way I have done it for past years, just getting older and lazier.
As Kathy Bates said in "Fried Green Tomatoes", I have more insurance and can afford it.
Again Thank You!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
I think we may have "spacer" wedges that space the awning out to be "flat". So I think this conversion is possible on a Lexie even.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #19

As it turns out there may be a kit to convert from manual to electric. I think it involves replacing the support arms and the roller tube internals. This mod was discussed on other forums. Did not sound like a hard mod to do and certainly a lot cheaper than new. Don't have particulars.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #20

Thank you. Understand that due to curve at top of support arms this was not viable.
Bclmens in previous post stated wedges available. Am looking into it further but would appreciate any additional information anyone might have.

Tags
awning, electric