Old 12-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Question Electrical Problem

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to all.
I've had my Lexington 210 3 months and since I got it back from the shop last month, the power cord keeps popping my gfi. It was in the shop for work on the refrigerator which works fine now, but now whenever I plug my power cord into the adaptor, the gfi pops. I turned the breakers off in my motor home and plugged in the power cord. Then I turned on one breaker at a time and all was good until I turned on the 30 amp breaker and it did it again. Nothing is on in my motor home when this happens. I have an appointment to take it back on the 9th. On our last trip at Pinehurst Campground, the power cord worked in their 30 amp plug in. I would like some feed back before I carry it back. Will appreciate any assistance. Thank you and Happy New Year! This is a great site. Mick

Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

If you are popping the GFI on your house circuit the problem is that the GFI in the motor home is causing the problem. If you want to check for your self turn all breakers off in the MH. Turn on the 30 amp first. Then turn on the other breakers one at a time. You should find the the GFI will pop when you turn on the breaker for the 15 amp GFI circuit. The solution to your problem is to use a non GFI outlet or leave the GFI outlet in the MH off.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks Terry and Janet. Merry Christmas!
I tried what you told me and this is the results. All breakers off in MH, Turned them on one by one and all is good until it turn on the 15 amp gfi and the in home gfi pops again. I tried it again not turning on the gfi and all is well, but nothing works in the MH, no lights or anything, only the glow light on the stove and the light in the microwave. The gfi is located in the bath room and it will not pop out. I'm leaving for the In-laws and hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day.
Mick
Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Sounds like a bad GFI in the MH, easily diagnosed by pulling the outlet, and temporarily wiring in a regular outlet (less than $3 at HD or Lowes). If everthing works fine then, try replacing the MH GFI.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
GFI may be bad!

Rockwood had a batch of bad GFI's. I had two to go bad in my 8285WS and it was purchased in Jan 2011.

Self fix, go to Lowes/Home Depot, purchase a GFI of same amperage, replace.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #6

Thanks. I replaced my GFI with another 20 amp and the same thing keeps happening. The GFI will not set. I tried it several different ways but still the same results, it trips my in home GFI. I have a friend coming next week to test the wires before I take it back. I was so hoping it would work. Happy New Year to all
Mick and Marsha
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #7

You cannot have more than one GFCI on any circuit. They will, guaranteed, continue to pop. Get rid of the one on the house circuit and all will be good. If you don't believe me, simply plug your MH into a non GFCI receptacle from the house.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
You cannot have more than one GFCI on any circuit. They will, guaranteed, continue to pop. Get rid of the one on the house circuit and all will be good. If you don't believe me, simply plug your MH into a non GFCI receptacle from the house.
donn's right, one of them will have to go.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #9

That is why I told you to try turning on the breakers in the order. Two GFI's will not work together. As suggested plug the unit into a non GFI outlet at your house. If you plan to keep your unit plugged in all the time while at home I recommend having a 30 amp RV outlet installed. The cost will be worth it. \but make sure the electrician knows what he is doing. There have been a few 30 amp RV outlets wired up for 240 volt.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

It doesn't always happen with 2 gfci's but it's fairly common. It probably partially depends on the brand of device as some are more tempramental than others. That said, you don't need to be plugging the RV into a ground fault receptacle as the camper will take care of that itself. If this is a permanent fixture at your home you should consider installing a 30 amp/125 volt receptacle for the camper and never have trouble again.