Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1

Extra batteries

I have a 2007 30ss I would like to install more batteries can anyone suggest where and how many 6 volt I can install thank you
captken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I have a 2007 30ss I would like to install more batteries can anyone suggest where and how many 6 volt I can install thank you

To start, 6v batteries must be installed in pairs in order to create 12v.

As far as how many pairs are wanted/needed, you need to evaluate how much room you have to install and what your electrical needs are.

Based on your questions, I think you are a little ahead of yourself. You should calculate your needs first.

Do you do a lot of dry camping (boondocking)?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

Well I should have said that I am at electrical engineer and I assumed which is my fault that everyone knows that it's 12 volt system with that said I am booning a lot and sometimes I run my AC I use a 3000 watt inverter and I'd like to know if anyone has added extra batteries to their unit and their location to take off of the main 12 volt dual 12 volt batteries that are underneath the carriage by the door thank you
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Batteries for Off Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
This should answer your question.
Q4 6Vdc @ 800Ah Total, Could do 1200Ah if have room for Q6 @ 2Vdc vs 6Vdc.

Another example follows - Less Desirable 6@12Vdc
PM for full details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	135774   Click image for larger version

Name:	630ht.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	135775  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

Thanks A very Handsome display of batteries
Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

You can put in a lot of batteries. Unfortunately that is only part of the problem...you have to charge them and hopefully do it as fast as possible.

I love to hear people talk about hydrogen powered cars with light in their eyes, but suitable hydrogen does not occur naturally. Hydrogen is simply a different kind of battery.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

solar panels and batteries

If you have Facebook, there is a large group, Solar Powered RV's and Boondocking. They have an absolute TON of vital information regarding solar panels, battery types, Wind generators, set ups, computing needs, installs, and have a master installer on board. I have learned a great deal, and all the questions asked here are to be found on that particular board. Same bunch also has a full time RVer' group as well. A fast review of posts will tell you exactly how much power in you need to power exactly how many batteries to run your air conditioner. Or something more reasonable.
Consider Lithium batteries, highly expensive by a VERY lightweight storage option.
Good luck
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Thank you very much
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

Maybe instead of adding a bunch of 6V golf cart batteries would you be up for Lithium batteries? A lot more punch for the space and weight.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

No way Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
Maybe instead of adding a bunch of 6V golf cart batteries would you be up for Lithium batteries? A lot more punch for the space and weight.
Knowing a little about this community, it is hard for many to spend the extra $ for AGMs, much less Lithium at 10x the $. But the most important item is safety. I would NEVER use Lithium batteries see a discussion if you choose ZRD FAQ - Lithium Batteries Important Information .
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #11

Km
Old 04-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

Looks to me like a lot of OLD mis-information relating to an RV use of the LiPo batteries being sold today. Pull your head outta....the sand, and relate to something current, and applicable to our use.

I will never go back to AGM, or LA.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #13

I'm stuck in the past... Trojan T105 batteries for me.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #14

Lithium RV Battery Reality Check

Been watching the whole Lithium battery discussion on the blogs.

Frankly, some of the comments scare me based on my own experience with Lithium batteries as drop-in solutions that were not "engineered" by an actual engineer for the specific application and charging system!

In many such cases, the $/KWh life of drop in Lithium are actually quite a bit higher than a good deep cycle solution if you can live with the size and weight.

Reputable Lithium battery pack manufacturers "do the engineering" to include built in battery management circuits which trick the existing 12V charger into providing the voltage and current they need to then provide the correct combination for the individual 3V lithium cells in the pack!

Each type of lithium cell from each cell manufacturer typically requires a custom cell charging & balancing profile to be consider engineered & thus safe! Lithium Cell balancing is particularly tricky and specialized.

Unfortunately, true engineered solutions are running a great deal higher $/Ah capacity than deep cycle so are only used by those willing to pay 2 to 3 times the $/Ah for 3 to 4 times the Ah capacity in the same space and weight.

That may change in the next few years especially when these smart packs use safer more robust but slightly heavier SAFT Lithium cells.

I am personally watching the companies that are building engineered lithium solutions for the trolling motor crowd since it is another demanding deep discharge / fast recharge application that is cost and safety sensitive.

Right now it's definitely buyer beware!!!

With lots of ridiculous claims about longer cycle life under lab conditions and thus lower life cycle costs for expensive packs that in some cases can be ruined by a few bad or lack of good charge cycles!

-PanAmMan
PanAmMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries