Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Forest River workmanship??

I hate to complain but I have had it with poor workmanship & bad products from Forest River! I drove down from northern Mn to AZ last week. Lost the tail lights & marker lights on the rig the first day! NOT A BLOWN FUSE! Brian was nice enough to email me a diagram & pictures of where Forest River splices into Ford's wiring. I have had no luck finding the splice because the gas tank is in the way & cables can't be traced with foam covering them! I don't think there is any set pattern on how they wire these units because no clear answers from the factory!
2nd day out I had a water leak on the city water connection that eventually got the carpet wet in the bedroom! The fitting coming in was only finger tight!
Now I have a leak on the black tank flush!! I think that is leaking on the ground not inside! It's almost in possible to get at the joint where I think it is leaking!
This is on top of other things I had fixed while under warranty! I know there are people who didn't have any problems. But that doesn't do me any good because I am having their share of problems. I have to vent because that is all I can do!!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

sorry to hear about your problems dave T
take a deep breath .
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Jeeze, I was going to apply for a job at the FR factory but I'm over qualified knowing which end of the screwdirver is the business end.

The management at FR must be pushing their line people so hard they either skip or turn a blind eye to little things like, putting in screws, tightening nuts, adjusting torque so the screws aren't striped, using the proper color wires...etc...you get the idea. Something sure is amiss where they put these rigs together. In all my years being around different types of construction, I have never seen such constant poor craftsmanship..Quality Control? What Quality Control.

Wish I was there to help you Dave, we could could share the snot rag. Good Luck
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

Come on people, everything will have problems when it's new if it is at all detailed or complicated. Wiring splices can easily come lose if the solder was not exactly the right temp, or maybe a hose clamp wasn't torqued fully tight, I mean everyone of us has a bad day now and then where things are just off a little bit. I've owned 2 different FR products, and yes I had small issues with both (that's to be expected), and I fixed them all in short order right at home. It's not like a stick build home (which even new ones have major issues) your RV is rolling down the road flexing and stressing all the time. If you ALWAYS expect EVERYTHING to be perfect, the maybe you'd better never buy anything.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Come on people, everything will have problems when it's new if it is at all detailed or complicated. Wiring splices can easily come lose if the solder was not exactly the right temp, or maybe a hose clamp wasn't torqued fully tight, I mean everyone of us has a bad day now and then where things are just off a little bit. I've owned 2 different FR products, and yes I had small issues with both (that's to be expected), and I fixed them all in short order right at home. It's not like a stick build home (which even new ones have major issues) your RV is rolling down the road flexing and stressing all the time. If you ALWAYS expect EVERYTHING to be perfect, the maybe you'd better never buy anything.

There is a BIG difference between small problems, such as you've experienced, and major issues. I too fix the small problems that should never have left the factory but cabinets falling off the wall, slide motors with missing mounting bolts, a dozen nail gun holes without nails resulting in falling trim, multiple screws stripped allowing skirting to fall free, water tanks falling off and the list goes on, will never be address by the factory unless they are held accountable. It's about quality control, and it appears as if FR is sorely lacking in that department. For your sake I'm happy you've never experienced any dangerous or major problems with your purchases, others have.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
There's one of you every crowd! Good for you that you only had some minor problems or is that is all you will admit to? Or know about?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #7

Dave my new 2012 unit was at the dealers one week before I picked it up. I had a leak at the base of the shower door. The caulker simple missed about a 1/2" seam. Also the radio antenna was not bolted tight enough (for my likeing). We used the unit about 38 days this year on 4 different trips, and no there aren't any other problem either know, not admitted or unknown. That's not to say that on my 1st trip out next year I don't have a problem. If I do OK that's part of RVing, things will go wrong. On my stick and brick I've at work done on the furnace 2-3 times in the last 5 years, does that mean is substandard equipment?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

I must admit that we have been very lucky with our Flagstaff. We had a loose fitting on the bathroom grey water trap that was caught during the PDI, and a blind that was strung improperly by the Chinese factory that made it (which FR quickly replaced). I did reinforce the steps going up into the bedroom, but that was just to satisfy my ultra-fussy nature. And yes, there is the odd screw in the cabinetry that was tightened a bit too much and partially stripped, but that is a super easy fix. But that is it, no other issues with the function of the camper or quality of construction.

I don't know what the difference is, maybe we just got the best crew that day.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I must admit that we have been very lucky with our Flagstaff. We had a loose fitting on the bathroom grey water trap that was caught during the PDI, and a blind that was strung improperly by the Chinese factory that made it (which FR quickly replaced). I did reinforce the steps going up into the bedroom, but that was just to satisfy my ultra-fussy nature. And yes, there is the odd screw in the cabinetry that was tightened a bit too much and partially stripped, but that is a super easy fix. But that is it, no other issues with the function of the camper or quality of construction.

I don't know what the difference is, maybe we just got the best crew that day.

I must have had the same crew working on mine. No issues, other than a leaky faucet which was noticed at the PDI. I examined my unit prior to purchase and I was aware of the workmanship. A warranty was provided , should something fail and if you want added comfort, then the option of an extended warranty was offered. If I wanted a better quality product, then I expect to pay more. Same can be said for any product you wish to buy.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

had only one issue with my palomino sabre first night out ..... fuse blew for slide out .
replaced the next day with a circuit breaker .
since then I had a propane leak that appeared to be "not" tight enough .
2 hour pdi made the difference even tho we were not "first" time buyers we asked questions about everything we saw .
and the major differences between our tt and new 5er .
I guess the palomino line is top notch .
I believe thats the only issues we have had .
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Like rugged brown said you get for what you pay for but even if you pay cheaper than the more luxury model sometimes you expect a better quality and finish. Even if the model is less expensive. The cheaper trailer will have less comodities but there should not be less quality on the unit because it is a cheaper model. As i can see the problems is quite wide spread even with the higher brackets models
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

webmaster shut this post down. If someone could help me out where I might find the connector , good. I don't care if anyone hasn't had any trouble. I don't need nonsense posts telling me so! Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
webmaster shut this post down. If someone could help me out where I might find the connector , good. I don't care if anyone hasn't had any trouble. I don't need nonsense posts telling me so! Thanks
well, it's because of how you titled your post. there's nothing in it about a connector nor is it clear that you're asking for that info.
by using a title like that, people are responding to that, since that's what you focused on.
i suggest starting a new post under the Tech and Repair and the mods can close this one if you wish.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

dear dave t .
you complained about workmanship at forest river if you didn't want to hear all the replies maybe you should have asked the questions and nothing more .

quote .
I hate to complain but I have had it with poor workmanship & bad products from Forest River!

with a statement like that your going to get replies agreeing and disputing .
sorry .
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #15

Listen zombies, if you want a flameup I'm am more than happy to go for it! I have every right to be bad at Forest River!! I don't give a rat's a*& if you never had any trouble but I have had!!!
Bring it on!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #16
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Listen zombies, if you want a flameup I'm am more than happy to go for it! I have every right to be bad at Forest River!! I don't give a rat's a*& if you never had any trouble but I have had!!!
Bring it on!
Let us pray...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #17

Good luck Dave T.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #18

I hope my purchase was not a death sentence.
We were at the lake this weekend, a couple saw our toy hauler. The man was very interested until he was close enough to see the FR decal.
Did not give me a good feeling. I guess he had a bad experience with them. I am not pleased with them either. I just fix all the problems myself. Probably buy another brand next time.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #19

Dave T needs a time out. The majority of people I've encountered on this forum are helpful, considerate and civil. Apparently he didn't get the memo.....
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Dave T needs a time out. The majority of people I've encountered on this forum are helpful, considerate and civil. Apparently he didn't get the memo.....

In defense of Dave T, not that he needs defending, but I can understand his frustrations with Forest River and him wanting to vent those on a Forest River forum, where it is known that some company reps observe said comments. I would also expect that these company reps look at these comments as an opportunity for improvement with their products. I agree with you also, that most people here are helpful, however, I do believe that it is important to expose flaws and if it takes some animation by posters to get the ear of decision makers, then let's just live with it. All the best to you Dave T. I do hope you get some resolution to your issues.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Closed Thread