Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

Heavy bed!

We have a 2011 283, and it is the first RV we've had without the lifter shocks(? what they are called) on the bed, and that thing is HEAVY. Lifting and propping with the "stick" provided is wearing me out! I am wondering if it is possible to install the lifter shock thingys on this bed. Has anyone done that? I'm not sure why they aren't there originally, but no one asked me when designing the coach.
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #2

They may have done you a favor by Not installing the (Gas Shocks)! Most RV mattress are Sub Standard,even the Upgrade. A replacement will usually weigh (More) springs,gell,foam,pad,ect. The Fac.installed shocks or geometry will have to be (Replaced/Moved) for proper support. You can install the proper (Lift Support) yourself,and throw the (Factory Stick) away! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Is the bed in a slide? May be reason for no lifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
Is the bed in a slide? May be reason for no lifters.

Why would a slide be a issue? It is hinged already,with a (Stick) support! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #5

If the bed/mattress slides over the base it is difficult to mount lifters to a sliding bed.

Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Why would a slide be a issue? It is hinged already,with a (Stick) support! Youroo!!
Agree, if it is already hinged, should make no difference whether it is in a slide or not.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Commercial Member

That's not necessarily true. If the hinged portion is sliding in and out on top of the bed base then fixed gas struts would not work. If the entire bed base is sliding in and out, then yes....would not matter..

Unfortunately I am in California today and I can't remember on the 283 which it is. 2860 should be the same slide style.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

I actually did get a pair of heavy duty lifts from CW, but returned them. If you look at the under bed area, there isn't enough room to mount them. On the front bed base you have the built in box for the breaker panal and water filter/lines, and on the other side there is not enough room to mount the lift according to the instructions. By room I mean the distance from the front of the base measured back to where the lift is supposed to mount.
This is on our 283ts. Don't know how the other Lexi's are laid out.
As we do keep some items under the bed, I'm searching for alternatives that maybe I can rig up. If I find something I'll post. Been looking at an electric sissors jack on Amazon. Only weighs around 11 lbs and runs about 60 bucks. Maybe permently mount it somehow and use a rocker switch to activate it.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

my master bed is in my slide and moves with it, I put in a double pillow top mattress and it weights about 40 lbs more then the factory mattress, the 2 gas struts will not support it with out my help

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Unfortunately I am in California today.
My condolences...
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

I don't mind using the "stick" to keep it up, I was looking or some assist in lifting it. We have a 3" foam topper on the mattress, so it is very heavy. Once it is up, I can cope.
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed