Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Hidey Areas in a Lexi 283ts

We're all, always looking for little secure "hidey" areas in our rigs, and I've found 3 in our Lexi 283ts. May apply to some others.
1. In the bedroom area. As your facing the wardrobe, there is a large flat panel, lower left. It's held on by 4 screws. (At least on our 2012). Remove the screws and the panel will come off, revealing the fresh water tank. Just to the left of the tank there is a nice space large enough to store a laptop, I-pad, ect. I used some self stick velcro strips to re-attach the panel instead of the screws.
2. The drawers under the dinette seats do not go all the way to the wall. If you remove the seat cusions, the plywood seat supports can be removed via the screws holding them down. Once removed, you'll see a space almost 1 ft x 1 ft x 8-9 inches, just dead wasted space. Very easy to just cut the plywood seat support so you can give yourself an access "door" to the space. You'll find the space under both the seats. I use them to store a tool box with hardware, rolls of duct tape, emergency "stuff" that's not needed all the time, ect. But it makes some good "hidey" spots.
3. The front entertainment area has two large cloth covered speaker grills. There nothing more than a wood frame covered with black speaker cloth. But, there only held on with velcro strips, and can be easily removed. Behind them you'll fins some cheap speakers, and wireing. But, there is enough space to tuck wallets, phones, jewlrey, ect in case you don't want to take them with you when your out.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

Thanks for the ideas. I took out our worn sofa and built a dinette in its place. I made the storage comp's behind the drawers as I could only find 22" runners. They must be just like yours. They are exactly big enough to store hanging files of stuff we need for the summer. The other one can hold whatever.
How did you get the speaker covers off? Just pry out with a putty knife? In ours I took out the Genesis GT3.0 and converted the lower part of that comp. to a deep cabinet. Cut out the back and extended the floor, etc. almost to the backside of the front cap.
BTW, we had mice in that front overhead last summer and it was difficult to put a trap behind the cabinet. I had to remove the light switch and place the trap and retrieve it with a long plunger used to get screws that fall down in tight places. Now I have a large door on the side of the new cabinet that gives me easy access to that area.
Thanks again.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

Speaker covers on our 283ts, the large rectangular ones on either side of tv set, are nothing more than 1" x 2" wood frame covered with speaker cloth. The entire cover is held on the cabinet by nothing more than some velcro strips.
On ours, I simply pulled them off. They go right back on with the velcro holding them.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I am glad nobody mentioned the space under the sink next to the water heater bypass. I would hate for anyone to find my stash.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Grumpy,
Do you tow a toad with your lexy? I've been thinking about buying the equipment to tow our Buick Enclave. By the way, I've found all those hiding places. Just never thought to use them!
Bill Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Bill....

What's the tow limit for your rig? An Enclave is pretty heavy. That's why we have a Terrain....to keep weight down where we can.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Ken and Terry, 5000#. Our Enclave weighs 4700#.
Bill Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I took out our worn sofa and built a dinette in its place. I made the storage comp's behind the drawers as I could only find 22" runners. They must be just like yours. They are exactly big enough to store hanging files of stuff we need for the summer. The other one can hold whatever.
How did you get the speaker covers off? Just pry out with a putty knife? In ours I took out the Genesis GT3.0 and converted the lower part of that comp. to a deep cabinet. Cut out the back and extended the floor, etc. almost to the backside of the front cap.
BTW, we had mice in that front overhead last summer and it was difficult to put a trap behind the cabinet. I had to remove the light switch and place the trap and retrieve it with a long plunger used to get screws that fall down in tight places. Now I have a large door on the side of the new cabinet that gives me easy access to that area.
Thanks again.
dontay

Do you have pictures of your modifications. Also, what have you done with the front tv when you gain the space over the driver's cabin?
I am interested since our 2012 Lexi 265 is very alike your 255.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

The tv is still there. Previous owner put in a nice Sony Vizio (apparently the one that spies on you even when off!!) I am trying to figure where to put it as the front is bad for the neck.
The floor of the cabinet is 3/8 plywood. It is completely framed in 1x2 pine and the 1/4 ply sides and top are glued all the way around the frame. To hold it in place for glue drying a pin nailer was used. We hope this will keep mice out of the cabinet even if they get behind the tv again this summer.
The panel on the left can be unscrewed to get access to the back of the tv or to set traps.
Looking forward to pulling the speaker covers to scope out even more storage but any building will have to wait until next year because I need to do things to the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front cabinet mod A Resize.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	132244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front cabinet mod B Resize.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	132245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front cabinet mod C Resize.jpg
Views:	119