Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
RV Nomad

Lexi 255 GTS coach battery not charging

I am trying to troubleshoot my 2005 Lexi 255 GTS coach batteries. The batteries will not charge with either the engine running or electric power. I've read that there is a reset button for the inverter (battery charger) that might be in the OFF position but I am unable to find this button. Plus I have no idea what the inverter looks like or where it's located.

I know the coach batteries are good (4 months old) as I am able to charge it with a manual Schumacher charger but not with the engine alternator nor electric power.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
olygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Make sure the battery disconnect (little red key) is in the on position...otherwise the batteries are isolated from the converter. (Inverter is a separate device that inverts 12v power to 110v)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
RV Nomad

When I try to charge from the engine or electric power, I have the battery disconnect switch ON. When I charge manually, I have the battery disconnect switch OFF. This works as I can charge the batteries using a manual charger.

Is there another switch that needs to be turned ON or OFF to allow charging from outside power or from the engine alternator. I did check the tension of the alternator belt and had normal deflection so I don't think that's the problem.

Is there something I am missing? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I would not rely heavily on the alternator to charge. That will only charge if there is excess current. Your primary charging device is the converter and should work when plugged in. There might be an issue with the converter. Did this "just happen" or are you a new owner?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
RV Nomad

Hi bclemens: This is a new to me RV. I replaced the batteries in May 2012 because I noticed then that the coach 12v lights were extremely dim. When I took it in to the tire and battery shop, I was told that the batteries were shot and needed to be replaced. They installed a battery with a full charge then.

Since I can charge manually, I am thinking that it's not the batteries but the converter. But I have no idea how to test it...nor do I know where to look for it or what it looks like. I even bought the RV maintenance book sold at CW but that was no help.

Any input or info would be greatly appreciated before I take it into a local Auto Electric Shop. I would take it to CW but they are located 75 miles away.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I'm calling in the big guns.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Coachmen Adrenaline

from the beginning...

OLYGENE- Do you have power in the coach when plugged in and battery disconnect turned off? Should still be able to turn on lights and function most of 12V items in coach. Do you know what and where your battery control center is on your unit? I'm thinking more on the lines that the solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries has gone bad and isn't allowing the unit to charge while plugged in. The coach will still have power to all of the 12V lighting and appliances directly from the converter. I think this is the best place to start checking. The parts of the BCC should look similar to the manual I have uploaded.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INTELLITEC MANUAL.pdf (653.1 KB, 160 views)
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
RV Nomad

I have no 12v power in coach when plugged into power and battery disconnect switch turned off. It seems like the solenoid is the next place to look. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Coachmen Adrenaline

you should have power to the lights when plugged in regardless of the position of the disconnect switch. The converter should provide the 12V for the lights when plugged in. It almost sounds like your converter is not working properly...which would then not charge your batteries also. Are you familiar with how to use a voltmeter/multimeter?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
RV Nomad

Yes..I have a digital multimeter available. I've been using it to measure the voltage drop in the coach batteries.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Coachmen Adrenaline

Ok. For all the info I have your converter is built-in to the distribution center(breaker and fuse panel under bed). I would start by pulling that out of the bed base and checking(with disconnect in OFF position, unit plugged in) to verify the AC voltage going into the converter, the DC voltage on the converter side of the 12V fuses, the circuit side of the fuses, the "CONVERTER" bolt on the BCC, and the positive battery terminal. Then I would repeat all of these measurements with the disconnect on. If you can get all of these it would help narrow down the point at which your system isn't operating correctly. If you need direct contact for an explanation, pm me on here.

Tags
255, battery