Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Lexington Modifications

As some food for thought (perhaps on what not to do ), here are a few of the modifications I've made on our Lexington 235.

We hate having to look up at the TV. So - I tore out the old boxy tv, built a cabinet in the wasted space, and mounted an old LCD we had on a hinged board. This lets us fold down the TV for eye level viewing. I used a mount with a moveable arm so we can position the TV almost in the middle of the room. In travel mode, we put our bedding in and around the TV.

I also placed a speaker in what used to be an open cubby hole. I wired it and the existing radio speakers to the DVD-radio-surround system. I made a door for the cubby hole above the speaker and mounted the clock on it. We keep a few movies in the space behind the clock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock and speaker.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	82386

We like the size of the Lexington but were not too crazy about the lack of counter space. I bought a closely matching counter top at Lowes and cut it to fit over the stove. I removed the useless unvented range hood and substituted another light. About the only thing we do with a stove inside is heat water. We bought an 1825 watt induction hot plate for those occasions.

Name:	counter.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	82387

There are no counters or night stands in our Lexington so I cut out some half inch birch plywood and made a "night stand" that we slip in the drawers on both sides of the unit. The stands are held in place by half inch quarter round glued to the bottom of the stands.

Name:	night stand.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	82388

Name:	100_0737 (2).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	82389

I also did not like the electric step. I would have swapped it out for a manual step if it had been bolted instead of welded on. I did the next best thing which was wiring it directly to the battery (10 gauge wire, 30 amp fuse, and 30 amp switch). No more hassles with the controller!

I also raised the first step using some three quarter marine grade plywood and another piece of half inch (I think - it was a while ago). This gives us a flat step instead of the indented step as it was in its original state.

I also put some shelves in the closet by the couch. It's deep enough to permit a couple of nine inch shelves (again birch plywood) without crushing the hanging clothes. I had to move the hanging rack about 4 inches toward the cabinet door. Added another shelf under the kitchen sink to protect the pipes and increase storage. And still another behind the glass door cabinet in the front where we keep extra towels and the DVD-radio-surround system.

FYI, I found very little insulation in the cap and walls immediately behind the cab doors. I added some R-19 to both areas while I was rewiring the speakers to include the surround system.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, lexington, modifications