Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Retractable steps acting crazy

Hopfully the video will down load. I can open it with window media

When I close the door the steps go in but at the last moment they start moving in and out just an inch or two for a little while then it stops.

Same thing when I open and they extend.

I looked and can't see any missing teeth on the motor gear and it connects to a blade with teeth on it. I can actually move the steps in and out all the way by hand and see the motor gear moving along with the blade with teeth on it.
I've read about the teeth breaking on the motor gear but that doesn't look like the problem but its hard to see really good in there. Was wondering if it could be the modulator.

2006 Lexigton 283 GTS, with Coach Single Retractable step,
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Have 09 Lexi and had same problem they have a plastic gear inside of motor you have to change the whole motor and gear they do not sell the plastic gear by it self it cost $168.00 for the whole assembly.
fulltimingary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimingary View Post
Have 09 Lexi and had same problem they have a plastic gear inside of motor you have to change the whole motor and gear they do not sell the plastic gear by it self it cost $168.00 for the whole assembly.
found this one on Ebay for $75. apparently its the same motor for almost all of them but they have different part numbers. Mine is the #1636669.
Figured it had to be the gear since I could move the steps in and out by hand and watch the motor gear turning.

RV Step Motor Stromberg Carlson Lippert LCI Frigette Kwikee Coach SP1636669 New | eBay
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Coach retractable motor replacement

Everything I saw said it was easy. Just remove the three bolts and re-install some said you also needed to remove the swing arm bolt. 2 hours later and I still couldn't get all the bolts to line up. I even loosen the pivot bolt/allen that holds on the dust cover (in the shape of a coffin). When I dropped the motor a bunch of spacers dropped on the ground too. I figured it out. You have two spacers for each bolt one on top on the motor and one below it.

I could get two bolts to line up and start but not the third, and I didn't know if it made any difference where the teeth were lined up on the blade that moves the steps. So I placed the motors gear teeth in the middle of the blade.

Finally went to ACE and bought bolts 1" longer which made all the difference they allowed me to put the spacers on and still have a little wiggle room to get the threads started. Then I started screwing in the bolts and the dust cover pivot allen bolt so it all tightened up evenly.

Snapped the lens off the step light and tested it while I was there.

Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step motor.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	121065  
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Step Troubles

Most of the Kwikee step problems is one of the three plastic bushings have disintegrated inside the motor unit. The unit is basically a Ford power window setup. I have rebuilt two of these using a kit you can get on eBay for under $12. Here is the link:

Ford Window Regulator Gear 62 Teeth and Includes 3 Gear Plugs Dorman 747 409 | eBay
RickLSmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

Outstanding, I'll keep the info and hope I don't have to use it for awhile since I just installed the new motor.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

Here's a video of what mine was doing. I couldn't figure out how to add it to the first post.