Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Roof Leaks

Our Lexington 283gts has sprung a few leaks but all were fixed. Is anyone else experiencing this roof leak business and if so does it happen often? I just got it about 6 months ago and everyone says it's getting rid of the kinks. How long do the kinks last?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I wouldn't call a roof leak a 'working out the kinks' problem. A one-piece rubber roof should not leak except at a rupture or around a faulty pretuberence installation (that's probably spelled wrong but FRF spent all its money on smiley faces and couldn't afford a spellcheck )

You stated that all the leaks have been fixed, but you didn't say whether they were all at the same place.

Tracing a water leak source is a b*tch. It sounds like your dealer is on top of things, but for those experiencing this frustrating problem I'd suggest identifying when and where the leak is observed.... Wind and rain direction at the time, etc. Pics of the leak occuring will help the dealer. And eliminate all the last-thing-looked-at items first. Clearance lights are a real culpret, and I've seen a FR trailer with the bottom of the lens caulked but not the top, creating a nice little bathtub to hold the water until it flows in the wiring hole. (the dealer re-lapsealed the roof/side seam and pulled and replaced the front window twice before the one leaking clearance light was noticed.) Roof vents, antennas, dishes, A/C, etc, are all possible leak sites.

Remember, if it gets past the rubber roof membrane, its water on wood.... never a good thing. Working out the kinks associated with a rotted roof deck is a whole different matter!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #3

As Welshman said, roof leaks are not part of getting out the kinks. There was a manufacturing problem in yours that hopefully was fixed. You need to check everywhere in your rig after every rain to see if there is any leakage anywhere. The problem is that water can leak inside the walls and not be detected for a long time. You need to check under your sinks and cabinets as well as look for tell-tale signs of leakage in the walls.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #4

roof leak

We got a fairly heavy rain on the way back from the repairs and all seems dry but I agree sometimes it takes a while to detect where the leak is coming from. The wood was not affected but the inside of the cab was like two great balloons full of water. The mechanic showed me where the leak was coming from and told me I must check my roof every six months or so. Does this sound right?

Anyone has a good idea how to check the water in my boondocking batteries with out taking them completely out? The tray they're on doesn't come out far enough to see the water level. Perhaps a mirror of some sort?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #5

Initially on your roof I would check for leaks after every hard rain. If you find nothing, then the 6 month schedule should be about right. My next door neighbor had a roof leakage problem on his trailer that was covered under his warranty but his dealer wants him back at the shop yearly to check it for leaks. He now keeps it stored at a covered facility.

As for the batteries, I guess a mirror will be your easiest answer to that one.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington