Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Roof Trim Channel Filled With Crud

Was up on the roof of my 2012 Lexi 283ts doing some cleaning and checking. I have Eternabond sealing the front and rear caps where they meet the roof, and was measuring to see how much I'd need to seal the sides. On the passenger side there is a trim channel that runs the entire length of the roof, where it meets the side, screwed down to the roof, and has a 1" wide piece of vinyl trim inside the channel.
Well, pulled that piece of vinyl trim out aways and found the inside of the trim was full of green crud (being nice here---wanted to say cr-p).
Going to spend tomorrow cleaning out the channel with a bleach/water/Crud Cutter combo. Thinking when it's clean n dry, filling the channel with some Dicor Self Leveling and than running a 2" strip of Eternabond tape covering the channel.
How does that sound to you all? Anyone else find their own "green crud"?
grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Got back up and pulled the vinyl trim out of the channel. The channel is the one that has the groove for the awning. Had green and black build up of mouldy looking stuff. Pulled the entire trim out and cleaned it with a bleach/Crud Cutter solution till it was CLEAN!!!
Ordered a 100' roll of the vinyl trim on Amazon. Going to run a bead of Dicor down the channel to cover the screw heads, and than new trim.
That crud build up looks like a good place for black streaks to migrate from...just a thought. My Lexi is only two years old, so imagine what older ones look like.
grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, roo, roof