Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #1

shower drains into black tank

This thread is in response to answers to my previous thread, (which I can't find).

I made the following test:
I removed the cap on the sewer evacuation pipe, opened the valve on the grey water tank, and made shure the tank was empty.

I ran water in the shower for 2 minutes and NO water came out of the sewer evacuation pipe.

The toilet and shower are next to each other, they sit on top, and DRAIN into the black tank.

Draining the shower into the gray tank involves running a pipe from the shower, going around the 50 gallon fresh water tank, (with lots of 90 degree turns), with a not so shure satisfying end result.

Since this is a HEALTH issue, I hope that the rv manufacturers who build this way, will be forced to correct the situation by Courts of Law.

I thank the folks who showed interest in this issue and offered their help.
wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on where your line exits the tank and how the tank is tilted, it might take more than 2 minutes of water to make it run out of the tank. While you have things set up, try all other sinks to just see if they run to the gray tank. Once you get water flowing out of the gray valve, let the water stop, and then try your shower again.

Good Luck

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Team

I know this won't make you feel better, but it isn't against any rule to run gray water into the black tank. It's actually a fairly common practice (though it's usually the bathroom sink).

I really don't understand how it's a health issue.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I know this won't make you feel better, but it isn't against any rule to run gray water into the black tank. It's actually a fairly common practice (though it's usually the bathroom sink).

I really don't understand how it's a health issue.
REPLY:

When raw sewage from a full black tank flows back up the shower drain, then it becomes a health issue. It happened to me.

I should have mentioned this in this 2nd thread, sorry.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

The shower on my 2604 also goes into the black water tank. Only the sinks go into the gray tank. This sure makes the black water tank fill up fast during a weekend of dry camping.

Has anyone had any luck with the dealers correcting this problem?
Pa-cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #6

This really makes no sense. The designers on this one really dropped the ball with this model. Apparently none have actually used any of the units they design.

Someone on the RFS site had the same issue and it was confirmed by FR that it was the correct design for that model.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm really disappointed that Forest River responds in this manner. It's an obvious design mess-up and they should be stepping up to fix it!

We got a similar response from FR on a heating outlet that blew hot air at the couch from 3 inches away on our 2605. They said that it was designed that way...for what possible reason?

Same here with the shower draining into the black tank. They've clearly screwed up and are CYAing by saying it was designed that way on this model. Again, what possible reason.

They're really saying that you weren't fortunate enough to discover this on pre-delivery therefore you accepted this "design".

Pretty damn lame on their behalf!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Our 2011 Flagstaff 26RLS' shower also goes direct to the black tank. It is just my wife and I so I guess we don't generate that much black water. After 3 trips with the new TT I find that on a weekend trip dry camping, taking full showers (no "sea showers") that we only fill the tank about half to 2/3. Before I dump, I fill the black tank the rest of the way to help move the poo. I have no complaints with the shower going to the black tank. It helps me with water to clean the tank. I do understand that the black tank will fill before the gray, but if it was plumbed to the gray the gray would fill quick and you would still have to dump. If I'm going to dry camp longer than a weekend, it will be "sea showers" and the blue tank to shuttle to a dump site. I grew up boating, and spent a few years in the USCG, some aboard the sailing ship EAGLE. We often had to take "sea showers" (wet your self down, shut the water off, lather up, turn water on and rinse). Takes a little to get used to but quite easy. Just my opinion.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

kbrown1075

Questions
1. Do you have 1 or 2 gray water tanks?

2. So if you have 1 gray water tank then it is filled only by the sinks?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

Iggy,

I have one gray tank. Only the sinks go to the gray tank. Seems to be a bit of a waste, but I have not have any trouble making it work. With some calgon in the tank and the shower water, the poo slides right on out.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder that if the shower drains into the black tank, Forest River clearly identifies that this is the "design" for this particular model.

Unfortunately, I think we all know the answer to that!

Dave

Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
Iggy,

I have one gray tank. Only the sinks go to the gray tank. Seems to be a bit of a waste, but I have not have any trouble making it work. With some calgon in the tank and the shower water, the poo slides right on out.

You know the more I think about it it may be a good idea as long as you don't over fill and backup into the shower pan.

It always seems that you don't have nought liquid in the black water tank to really flush it out. This way you cantake a good shower before you leave the campground and fill up the black water as much as possible.
They do suggest that you should have at least 3/4 of the black water tank full to get a good flushing.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are kidding, right?

I rather only have to empty the black tank after 10+ days of camping. The gray tanks fill about 5 days and I'll deal with that without pulling the camper to the dump station. I don't want to deal with black tank anywhere other than the dump station.

On weekend trips, I put two or three 5 gal pails of gray water down the toilet at the end of the weekend to help the black tank to drain better.

Dave

Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #14

My 2004 Lexington model 270s motorhome also has the shower draining into the black ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-cj5 View Post
The shower on my 2604 also goes into the black water tank. Only the sinks go into the gray tank. This sure makes the black water tank fill up fast during a weekend of dry camping.

Has anyone had any luck with the dealers correcting this problem?
My 2004 Lexington 270S model motorhome also has the shower draining into the black water tank.
How I found this out ?
My wife took a shower and the water accumulated on the shower floor. It woud not drain.
I then flushed the toilet bowl, which is located next to the shower.
Green water started to come up the shower drain.
I then realized that the black water tank was full, and that both toilet and shower were draining into the black water tank.
The toilet and shower both sit on top of the black water tank.

Dry camping is a restricted choice for us.

I sympatize with all campers who are in the same situation.

From what I read, FR seems to have the same attitude towards its customers, as did General Motors before they went bankrupt. This is a sad situation for everybody.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You guys are kidding, right?

I rather only have to empty the black tank after 10+ days of camping. The gray tanks fill about 5 days and I'll deal with that without pulling the camper to the dump station. I don't want to deal with black tank anywhere other than the dump station.

On weekend trips, I put two or three 5 gal pails of gray water down the toilet at the end of the weekend to help the black tank to drain better.

Dave
I agree, I'd rather empty my gray water.

I spoke with the service manager today and he told me that they contacted FR about this issue when they tested the tanks. He was told it could not be replumbed into the gray tank because of the bathroom design.

Next trip I'll have record usage so I'll have some idea of what the black tank will hold.

So my wife has 38 gallons of gray water tank for the sinks.
Pa-cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #16

These things are built quick and cheap, so if Forest River can save a couple of bucks in labor and parts by cutting corners thats what they will do. Forest River are low cost RV's with nice floor plans. Then again this is last Forest River we will own, we have a 2011 Rockwood. Our next RV is going to be a Tiffin coach or a Carriage 5th wheel.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, lexington