Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

Slow battery charging

We have a 2002 Lexington 283 GTS and I am having a problem with the house batteries charging. Unbeknownst to me the surge protector shut off shore power due to a low voltage situation and the battery level went to E. The batteries have taken a very long time to come back up to a 1/3 charged state (according to the level lights on the control panel).
I have a Progessive Industies EMS-HW30C installed and the display is showing 0A. I would think there should be some draw if the batteries were being charged.
There is a RV Custom Products FR-500 L battery control center installed also. It says to disconnect the cables at the batteries before opening the cover. How necessary is that? And there seems to be almost no information available on that unit such as how to check voltages and where.
I leave the unit on shore power all the time. Is that a mistake? The battery disconnect switch has been in the "on" position the whole time. Again, is that a mistake?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Do you have a volt meter? Clean batt. terminals?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

I do have a VOM and the terminals are clean.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Left Coast

Take the tester leads and place on battery...turn off charger..let sit a bit...(I'm assuming batts. have water), take a reading...hook charger up..take reading..(what are you charging with and at what setting)? Just re-read your 1st post....the on-board charger is way slow...need at least a 10amp. charger or you'll be doing this tomorrow also.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Pulling the batteries this evening to put on my regular charger. I had been using the on board charger. Any idea where to get some info on the FR 500L?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Left Coast

To heavy...leave 'em in there...be no different that jump'n a car ..... maybe in the forum m/n area.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #7

I pulled them just so I could get a good visual on the water level, which look good. Both read at 11.5V. My charger is only a 6 amp so I may need to upgrade that tomorrow just for GP.
Thanks for all your input, you've helped a lot.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Left Coast

6 amp will work...just takes longer.....I leave my meter on batt. while charging to see if they'll accept a charge.....when I figure they've been on long enough, I let 'em sit to cool down and take a reading....... a load checker is the way to fly and cheap ones, that work, can be had at Harbor Freight...also, with a 12 volt test light, ground the clip to neg terminal, and use test light to touch various locations on top of batt around pos post, going toward neg.....will tell you if there's a loss across batt.case... just enlarged your pic....Your my brother in laws spitt'n image! His name is Charlie.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

To funny, I guess we do all have doppelgangers. I am Tango Charley to all my old shipmates.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Battery Charging & More...

I have posted this elsewhere on the Lexie forum, but this may be part or most of your trouble.

After much research it is pretty much a fact the WFCO 12v converter used in our coaches is junk. And after a terrible trip to the mountains last year due to my 12v power coming and going in 30 degree weather, I replaced it the moment I got back to Florida. My research led me to the Progressive Dynamics unit. After a year with it, I love it. My batteries are always fully charged. And it is supposed to have the best 12v battery maintainer system as well. Do careful research, and you will find the same answer. I chose the: Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power PD4655 Converter/Charger 55 Amp w/Charge. Got a great deal at Adventure RV.net:
Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power PD4655 Converter/Charger 55 Amp..

Tags
battery, charging