Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

So Disappointed

We finally got the generator problem solved [we thought] and loaded our rig to take on a shakedown "cruise" tomorrow. I powered up the generator, waited a few minutes and rolled out the slides and then switched on the A/C. Since it was 95 here today, I thought I'd program the King Dome while the inside cooled down enough to make up the beds. With the A/C, TV, HD receiver and King Dome running, in about 4 minutes the A/C shut off. I turned everything off, powered down the gen and sure enough, the circuit breaker on the gen had tripped. Reset it and repeated the process. Yup. A/C lasted 4 minutes. As a newbie MH owner, have I overlooked or missed something? Or will it be back to the RV service center in the morning. Help?
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Pardon me if you already know this.

The generator will not carry the A/C at the same time as water heater and refrigerator on electric. If you have not done so yet, turn the water heater electric off and the refrigerator to gas. Use the switch outside on the water heater or the water heater breaker, not the switch on the convenience panel - it turns gas on but does not turn electric off. The refrigerator must be set to gas, not auto. In auto, it will switch from gas to electric anytime 120 volts is available.

PS The A/C and TV stuff along with the convertor supplying 12 volts to the batteries and lights should not overload the generator. Either there's other loads or there is actually a problem with the generator. It could be a faulty oil level switch. Check your oil level. Is the coach not level?
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Problem Solved

Rambler you hit the nail on the head. The water heater was turned off and we spent the past 24 hours in air conditioned comfort, complete with lights, TV, the whole kerschmoo. Now if we can resolve the DirecTV SD/King Dome issues, life will truly be good.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Nice to hear that my post helped.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
2015 Sunseeker 2300

We were going to order a Sunseeker 2300 however we have found a 2013 283ts Lexington what is your opinion? Does the Lexington have the fiberglass roof etc? What problems are we going to have?
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Gingsnap, we have a 2012 Lexi 283ts which we bought used, 0ne year old. Had it since July last year, and purchased from the original owner. Overall we are happy with the rig, and have had no major problems. Have put a bit over 4000 miles on it. When I did my inspection prior to buying, I found several small problems that I knew I could fix, most having to do with the construction of the rig. Under the rear bed I found the workers had let the water and electric line lay across the slide mechasium for the slideout, which could have caused problems if not caught. Easy fix to re-route away from moving parts and wire-tie. Roof is fiberglass and easy to maintain, but have found several small cracks in non stress areas. Not supposed to happen but??? Just smeared some Dicor into the cracks and so far so good. I read on the forum, somewhere, that maybe a small batch of roofs were having problems, but FR cannot/will not verify. Anyway it's out of warranty, so I can live with it.
We to a Subaru Crosstrek with no problems, using the tow/haul mode and cruise control. Just got back from a trip to the Poconos, and at 63-65 mph, towing, got a high of 8.74 mpg. Have got as low as 7.2 mpg at other times---just depends on road and conditions.
PM me if you have any questions.
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-03 10.30.26.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	62863   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-03 10.31.12.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	62864   Click image for larger version